Pro Wrestling Only

• 1 month later...

They show a recap of a GREAT angle from the week before. Ricky Morton didn't get to see his dad Paul over the holidays, and Gibson left a letter for Bob Caudle not to say anything, but that they were going to surprise him later in the show since they haven't seen each other in a while. Cornette and the Bodies got to him during the Rock & Rolls match and this is just executed really well all around. Gibson isn't a great interview, so I love that they got around that by something as simple as him handling a letter to Bob Caudle.

Cornette and Pritchard do a great promo summarizing all of this and hyping Sunday Bloody Sunday. Then, they say they have Paul Morton here and that he's perfectly fine, and it's Jimmy Del Ray with a cane and sunglasses doing a Stevie Wonder act. The Rock & Rolls quickly interrupt this.

Notice how the babyfaces quickly break this up so they're kept strong. The attention to detail in all of this is fantastic.

This was just a great angle. In a hot territory this angle would have drawn huge. All the little stuff was great, and the best part is that it isn't even Paul Morton in all of this. It was Mark Curtis that was laid out. With some creativity and good camera angles they don't have to give Paul Morton a payoff.

• 3 weeks later...

Really loved the angle, Cornette's promo, and Del Ray coming out acting like Stevie Wonder. Only negative wll be Dr. Tom who I thought was annoying and distracting constantly playing with his hair during Cornette's promo. I understand part of that was the gimmick but it was too much to me during this promo.

• 1 year later...

Hardcore angle--Paul Morton is supposed to be a surprise visitor for Ricky, but being alone in the locker room (a detail that's set up masterfully) he runs into Cornette & the Bodies, and ends up getting attacked with Drano thrown into his eyes. Cornette swears it was an accident, or so Bob Caudle tells us. This week, Mantell grills Cornette about possibly crossing the line, but Cornette doesn't care about a decrepit, bald 124-year-old man who was a big deal before electricity. Cornette only fought back because he was struck first and the State wouldn't press charges! Cornette initially takes credit for knocking Paul Morton down, but when Dr. Tom corrects him, Cornette instead takes credit for kicking him afterward! This is a riot. Now the Bodies have to wrestle the Rock 'n Rolls at Sunday Bloody Sunday, on top of an already-scheduled defense against Doug & Mike Furnas. Cornette tries to prove how Paul Morton is okay by bringing out Jimmy Del Ray in sunglasses with a cane, doing the Stevie Wonder head-sway. "Hey Tom, have you seen Paul Morton's new suit?" "No Jim, I haven't..." "NEITHER HAS HE!"

This was awesome, a great way to re-ignite a feud that had been on hold.

• 2 years later...

Dutch starts by recapping and taking a look at the incident that happened last week with Paul Morton (he was supposed to be a surpise visitor for Ricky bought in by Robert as the two hadn't seen each other for a while, but ran into the Heavenly Bodies in the dressing room and it ended with Cornette throwing Drano in his eyes). Back on Down & Dirty, and Dutch says a lot of people think Jim Cornette crossed the line last week. Cornette says who cares about that old fossil? He’s a bald headed, nothing happening goof! He’s 124 years old and was a big deal before electricity. He claims that Paul Morton tried to assault him, he put his hands on him first and tried to press charges but they wouldn’t take his statement. He showed him who he was messing with though, as when he struck him he knocked him straight back down. Tom Prichard interrupts and says that he was the one who knocked him down, at which point Cornette corrects himself to say that he was the one who kicked him when he was down! Paul Morton got what he deserved, he started it.

The SMW Board of Directors have now added a tag title match against the Rock & Roll Express for Sunday Bloody Sunday, so not only do the Heavenly Bodies have to face the Furnas Brothers, they also have to take on the Rock & Rolls. It’s not fair, but they figure that’s the only way that they will be able to beat the Heavenly Bodies. All this talk of Paul Morton though, people need not worry, he’s okay and here today. Cornette introduces him and it is in fact Jimmy Del Ray doing his best Stevie Wonder impression complete with shades, cane and head swaying! As he continues to insult and make fun of Morton the Rock & Rolls run out and try to get at Cornette but he runs off out of their way.

• 11 months later...

I really liked this, even though it's a tad disappointing that they couldn't get the real Paul Morton to be involved somehow, especailly since he wasn't a ref in Memphis anymore. He probably wanted too much money.

Ricky was the star of this whole thing. I loved how he reacted like an aggrieved and vengeful son instead of a babyface wrestler, especially in the locker room scene. "Get the fuck outta here! This ain't wrestlin', that's my dad!" was probably the most natural reaction I've see in an angle like this. Most of the time, the guys notice the camera and stop to cut a promo.

Jigolo Jimmy doing his Paul Morton/Stevie Wonder imitation was hilarious. We've seen this kind of thing a thousand times before, but in the hands of a master like Corny it still manages to seem fresh.

How anyone could get caught up in Dr. Tom playing with his hair while Corny was running Paul down is beyond me. I think I like his tirades against Rock 'n' Roll better than the ones against Bullet Bob, mostly because the history between him and Rock 'n' Roll is so much longer and richer.

Nice touch having Tony be the babyfaces' emissary to explain to the fans what happened to "Paul". There's no doubt now that he's on the right side of the fence, whether Tracy feels comfortable shaking his hand or not. I also noticed Kim in the crowd of people tending to "Paul", which was another nice touch.

Was that Candido wrestling Ricky in the match he walked out on? It sure looked like him. Tammy wasn't there, but I don't think she and Chris had joined forces professionally yet.

How bad a talker did Corny think Robert was that he had to hand Bob a note instead of just explaining that "Paul" was in the building on the mic? Okay, so he isn't Dusty in his prime. Neither is Ricky, to be honest. Actually, they're much closer to being verbally equal than is commonly believed; all Hoot has to do is remember to speak up just a bit.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-22-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty: Heavenly Bodies