Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-01-29-WWF-Superstars] Jack Tunney announcement

Loss

• 1 month later...

Tunney announces that the WWF title will be defended twice this year at Wrestlemania. There will be a coin toss on Raw to see who faces Yokozuna, and when you compare Luger/Crush (if Bret wins the coin toss) to Bret/Owen (if Luger wins the coin toss), it's obvious which direction they are going.

After letting the Rumble finish stand as a draw, I think Tunney makes the right call by letting both competitors get a shot at the title at WrestleMania. He spells out the match possibilities pretty clearly. This was more effective than a long promo any current GM would do.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm going to miss Tunney when he leaves later this year. He's the most effective figurehead executive that wrestling's ever had, and he added a lot to the angles he appeared in, although his appearances were brief by both design and necessity.

I would have loved it if Owen would have gotten Bret's title match after beating him clean, but they weren't thinking that far outside the box yet. Same thing with the triple threat match, which would have been an ideal solution even two years later. I guess they could have had a Bret-Luger match on Raw ​for the title shot, but who would have done the job?

I know we didn't get Luger-Crush at Mania, but it sounds like a great feud possibility for after ​Mania, and I'm surprised Vince never pulled the trigger on it.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-29-WWF-Superstars] Jack Tunney announcement