Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-01-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Press Conference: Nick Bockwinkel

Loss

• 1 month later...

Gene's putting his glasses in his mouth to try put over the serious of the press conference. Vader gets hit with a pretty ridiculous fine of $25K for interrupting the press conference. That was just harsh. Good stuff here. Steamboat is pretty fired up at the end.

I loved this segment. I really wish we would have more of them. Kinda gave wrestling a real edge. Something that would be kinda cool nowadays would to do post fight conferences like UFC except worked angles. I guess they would need to have a clear path where they are going which isn't WWE booking nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...

Vader just bursting into a dignified press conference and picking a fight with everyone was awesome. Gene was his usual self barking orders and acting all disgusted and what not. Steamboat was fired up. This was a great segment.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey, Arn's back. Awesome segment! Bockwinkel is about to rule that Flair is too injured to compete at SuperBrawl, and that sets Vader off big-time. He's so worked up that he even tells off Harley Race! Do-gooder Ricky Steamboat tries to intervene and gets shoved away. Anxious to see where this is going and how we get back to a title match at the PPV.

• 3 years later...

I'm guessing we'll have the standard "I'll sign a release absolving WCW from responsibility" stuff from Flair, Pete.

It seems almost like they were trying to push Steamboat into Flair's spot, which would have worked fine except that Vader had already disposed of Steamer pretty emphatically on TBS back in November.

I didn't hear Vader go off on Harley, but if he did, it wouldn't have been the first time; he shoved him around after the match at Starrcade as well. I wonder if they were thinking about Vader breaking off with Harley and going on his own. They probably should have; Harley's looked dreadfully out of place in Vader's corner for the past year or more.

Bock is a good choice for WCW Commissioner; he's a mixture of Jack Tunney and Bullet Bob Armstrong, only he has more natural dignity than Tunney and is a much better serious promo than Bullet Bob. The fine to Vader was a way to show the fans that he was going to get tough on those who break the rules, which is exactly what a commissioner ​should​ do.

I didn't mind Gene until the very end, when he asked nobody and everybody, "What's going on here?" You saw Vader try to attack nearly everyone in the room except you and almost cause a major pull-apart brawl, and you ​still don't know what's going on? Get your mind off the hotline and get back in the ballgame, chrome dome. If you meant to ask Ric and Ricky what they were thinking, then ask them that. Didn't they teach you how to use phrases precisely at broadcasters' school so you don't sound like a clueless dipshit?

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Press Conference: Nick Bockwinkel