Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-01-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Brian Pillman and Col. Robert Parker

Loss

• 1 month later...

Col. Parker has to wear the chicken suit based on the Clash match. Tex Slazenger and Shanghai Pierce attack Pillman from behind, then Austin joins in. They're about to put Pillman in the chicken suit instead, but the babyfaces clear the locker room and force the issue. Heenan is hilarious on commentary asking people not to watch this, and Robert Fuller is AMAZING at physical comedy. Entertaining segment.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Pillman has a lot of friends to come to his aid and they stick around to keep the heels away. Which leaves Parker at Pillman's mercy. Couldn't make out the guy standing next to Typhoon outside the ring.

Jungle Jim Steele.

Parker is milking the hell out of this, which is how it should be done. Heenan is great here, probably much better than Ventura would have been.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For once there's some great comic interplay between Schiavone and Heenan. And if anyone knows how to sell a "manager wears an embarrassing outfit" angle, it's the Brain. Really entertaining segment and Schiavone even manages to segue into SuperBrawl hype while it's going on.

• 3 years later...

Before I go any further, is that Terry Taylor, of all people, as one of the babyfaces? It sure as hell looks like him.

I thought the beatdown was going to be the way that they got out of the stip, but I was wrong. Fuller actually went through with it without having to be put to sleep first, which puts him one up on Heenan. He didn't look all that bad in the suit either, at least no more ridiculous than he does as Boss Hogg.

When Gene asked him whether he wanted to face all of Pillman's friends, I couldn't help but flash back to the time when the Tennessee Stud would have done his best to go through all of them with his bare hands. That ​I would have paid to see. As it is, I wonder how he works in the ring as Colonel Parker. I suspect not too well, which is a shame.

Heenan was great here, not only in begging people not to watch, but in his reactions once he saw Fuller in the suit. I'm sure he was having flashbacks to the many times when he was put into a weasel suit after matches. That's what made his reaction so much better than Jesse's would have been; he knew exactly the humiliation that Fuller was going through. I hope his line about how "The Big Bossman instigated all this" was an innocent slip, but knowing Bischoff, I doubt it.

Tony got off some good lines, but I'm already sensing that he and Bobby aren't going to mesh very well. I don't think he reacted properly to Heenan wanting not to see Fuller humiliated, for one thing. Maybe I'm projecting what happened later into things too soon, but Tony's never really been comfortable with heel color guys. He was at his best with face-leaning supergeek David Crockett, or as color man with JR back earlier in the nineties, He and Jesse are just now back to where they were in their WWF days (remember SummerSlam '89?), and now Heenan's taking over and we're almost back to square one. The thing is, there aren't any play-by-play guys left in the company whom Bobby could do better with. In fact, the only other guy even doing play-by-play at all during this time is (if I recall correctly) Bischoff, whose character is even geekier than Tony's.

Line of the Segment: Tony, after Heenan tells the fans to go to the refrigerator instead of watching this: "Yeah, pick up a chicken leg or two while you're at it!"

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-29-WCW-Saturday Night] Brian Pillman and Col. Robert Parker