Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-01-31-WWF-Raw] 1-2-3 Kid, Marty Jannetty, Razor Ramon & IRS

Loss

• 1 month later...

Tail end of a Marty Jannetty vs Johnny Polo match. 1-2-3 Kid and IRS are doing commentary and end up arguing. Jannetty comes to Kid's rescue and Kid sneaks away with the briefcase.

After the break, IRS notices the briefcase is missing and goes to reclaim it when Razor comes out with the gold back around his neck. It's heartwarming to see Kid and Jannetty defend their drug dealer like this.

Jannetty does another libertarian-style promo, saying IRS can't do anything without the "stinkin' government's" help.

Ron Paul would love 1994 WWF booking.

A Johnny Polo match. Curious me would have liked to have seen more. IRS says the Rocker Dropper should be outlawed and that it is illegal. Perfect would later bring up that it can break you neck. I think it was a requirement of heel announcers to make comments about the move. These days it would just end up on the banned list.

• 3 weeks later...

The arena they were filming this in was tiny. Patterson yelling for IRS to get back in his position got a chuckle out of me. Jannetty's promo was pretty terrible. I also was surprised to still hear Lord Alfred Hayes still doing the promotional consideration voiceover.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That big "FERNWOOD RESORT" sign gives this such a low-rent feel. Jannetty hits the Rocker Dropper to pick up a win on Johnny Polo and IRS rants that the move should be outlawed--kind of a WOW comment as the Chuck Austin verdict either just came down or was about to come down. IRS cheap-shots the already-crippled 1-2-3 Kid and Jannetty saves, allowing Kid to swipe the briefcase. IRS goes to retrieve it but is stopped by Razor Ramon's magically appearing entrance music. Jannetty cuts an anti-government promo hyping a match next week.

• 3 years later...

I don't know if anything Marty said should be taken as explicitly anti-government. He's talking against Mike Rotundo, a delusional pro wrestler who thinks he's an IRS auditor. He's been referred to as Mr. Rotundo more than once by Vince McMahon himself while dressed as Irwin R. Schyster, so the world knows who he really is. Sometimes we look for too much meaning in simple promos.

I can't wait to see how Waltman hurt his leg. He looked for all the world like the Repo Man skulking down the aisle with Rotundo's briefcase in his hand.

I think it was nice of Hall and company to even give Mike his briefcase back. Most faces would have kept it and not thought twice about it.

The physical part of this wasn't a whole lot, but it really wasn't supposed to be. We're not usually able to hear front office people like Patterson on camera, and I always wonder how they get away with being so forceful without getting themselves slugged, or even attacked. Think about it; Pat's a pretty proud old guy. If Rotundo would have slapped the taste out of his mouth, would he have let Tunney suspend Mike, or would he have demanded a chance to get even in the ring although he would probably have gotten his ass kicked up and down the eastern seaboard?

Yeah, the Fernwood Resort isn't exactly Madison Square Garden or even the Mid-Hudson Civic Center in Poughkeepsie. The once-mighty have fallen hard, and it'll be a while before they find their way back up.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-31-WWF-Raw] 1-2-3 Kid, Marty Jannetty, Razor Ramon & IRS