Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-01-31-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart and Lex Luger

Loss

• 1 month later...

Who is the agent with the white hair? This coin toss turned out for the best as we got Bret/Owen to lead off WM. I like the Bret is having trouble with losing the toss as he now has to wrestle his brother. The piped in crowd cheering at the end was pretty fake.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Who is the agent with the white hair?

Billy (Red) Lyons.

Interestingly, Borga was the originally announced opponent for Earthquake at WM--I don't know if that match had been made at this point or not, and I don't think Borga ever appeared on TV after his injury anyway.

I wonder if they flipped a loaded coin or Tunney did a magician's switch. Luger is his usual happy-go-lucky self while Bret sells things much more realistically, knowing that he now has to face Owen. Bret has apparently gotten over last year's WrestleMania brunch.

• 3 years later...

This was a very purposeful segment. I could have done without Vince's cracks about the coin, but that was the only false note.

I wonder if they ever thought about Luger beating Yoko first, then having him drop the belt to Bret. Two title changes in one card would have made Mania X really stand out, and it would have put an end to the whole business about Luger not winning the big one. Then again, you'd think that that stuff would have been over after he beat Windham at the '91 Bash.

I liked Bret's reluctance to fight Owen, which if I'm not mistaken he kept all through the feud; he hoped that every one of their confrontations would be the last one. I'd have liked to see Luger-Crush, but they probably already had Savage-Crush in mind for Mania.

They can stop with the all-American routine for Luger whenever they want to; that part of the gimmick was rendered useless after SummerSlam, Ludvig Borga be damned. They should have gone back to The Total Package, even if Vince had to tinker with the name. Maybe I'd have brought back the flag tights and the Sousa march for Mania only.

I keep going back and forth as to whether it might have been better for Bret and Luger to either have a match on Raw for the Mania shot or have the loser of the coin toss get a shot at King of the Ring. I'm no fan of Yoko having to work twice, particularly since he's looked so awful in his matches against Bret. Surely the Nash match and Neidhart's turn could have been done on ​Raw or ​Superstars.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-01-31-WWF-Raw] Bret Hart and Lex Luger