Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-02-16-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo vs Psicosis

Loss

• 1 month later...

This is worked very similarly to Santo's matches with Heavy Metal in 1993. I don't think AAA ever quite nails the lucha title match, but this was still a good effort.

Santo's arm work in the second fall is great. The problem is that he's carrying this match with his offense, and Psicosis' selling isn't really good enough to match it, which makes this match feel a bit disconnected. I love the face-first move he keeps busting out, almost like a cross armbreaker/facebuster combination. After a long feeling out period, Santo seems to have found his groove and does some nice arm work, but as soon as Psicosis gains momentum, it's immediately forgotten. Psicosis does a series of snapmares which are totally made by Santo's ricochet bumping.

In the final few minutes, this gets really good when they start busting out the dives and nearfalls. Psicosis feels far more in his comfort zone when they are working like this, but the classic lucha style isn't really a strength. When he is put in a position to take big bumps, feed moves and time kickouts, he's much better.

Psicosis is a wrestler I really like, and I'm usually one of his biggest defenders, but I think Santo came inspired and ready to give a big performance, and Psicosis, while not bad at all, is not at Santo's level here. The match was good, and I got what they were going for, but Psicosis couldn't quite live up to it.

I haven't really cared for either their 1994 or 1995 singles matches, which is a shame, because I was excited about both of them before watching them. Psicosis is better working the younger, more spot-heavy guys, and he didn't bend enough here.

Side note: Someone explain that finish to me. How did Psicosis win?

Side note: Someone explain that finish to me. How did Psicosis win?

Simple, when Santo did his tope de cristo spot (the somersault headbutt), he bumped into Tirantes and knocked him out of the ring. Tirantes then recovered and disqualified Santo since it's against the rules to get physical with the referee. It was a pretty shitty finish to be honest.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked this pretty well. Psicosis is a maniac bumper and that really showed in the third fall. Santo sold the damage to his head like a champ but I agree Psicosis gave up on selling the arm. That is the biggest issue here with me. I think this was a very good to great match that got started too late because of Psicosis handicaps.

Agreed with all the points made. Psicosis just didn't seem ready to handle the long match portion of this match and seemed like he was killing time to get to the third caida. I thought the third caida was great and the finish worked to build heat. I also found it strange that after the brawling done in the tag, how much of a gentleman Santo was constantly wanting to shake Psicosis hand pre and post match. That seemed odd. Good match but never reached its potential besides the third fall

• 1 year later...

With Ric Flair ascending to the booker's spot in WCW by this point, Dusty Rhodes has apparently engineered a hostile takeover of the AAA office, because his fingerprints are all over this finish. I've been a defender of AAA's bullshit finishes in the past but this wasn't a good one. It could have been, but the execution of Santo tumbling into Tirantes was really contrived and sloppy. That said, I like the use of Tirantes better when his presence only comes into play with the finishes and he's not taking over the whole match. Anyway, before the unfortunate ending I think I liked this more than the other posters, even if Psicosis mostly felt along for the ride until he busted out the big dives. He really couldn't match Santo hold for hold in that lucha title match style, and only kept up with dives and high-impact moves. It didn't really feel like contrasting strategies, but moreso like two guys not on the same page. Still a masterful performance from Santo and even if working the mat isn't his strong point, said high-impact offense from Psicosis is pretty damn great.

• 1 year later...

The first two caidas both featured a period of matwork that transitioned organically onto high impact moves to finish the falls. They were doing the right moves, although there were issues with the work. They didn't have the chemistry together and were having to think their way through rather than flowing. It felt like a generational gap between the two. Traditional title bouts like this would sadly disappear from AAA in the none too distant future.

The tercera upped the ante with some excellent dives and 19 count spots. A few near falls before the heel ref HSF. The finish was really bad and as flat as a pancake, yet I appreciated a lot of what had gone before.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-02-16-AAA-Sin Limite] El Hijo del Santo vs Psicosis