Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-02-19-WCW-Saturday Night] Vader public workout

Loss

• 1 month later...

In a just world, Flair/Vader would have drawn tons of money since it was such a great feud. Vader's interview before the workout is great and he makes mincemeat of three jobbers, one of whom takes a horrifying bump from the ring to the Center Stage floor. Just a tremendous piece of business.

I remember when I saw the original match listing for set and seeing Vader Public Workout that this could be alot of fun. Really good Vader promo to start. I can't imagine how jobbers use to feel when the saw they would be facing Vader at TV tapings. Vader looks incredibly deadly. You would think Flair would have no chance in a cage.

• 3 weeks later...

Very good promo from Vader and seeing him demolish jobbers is always fun. I also thought Bobby was real good on commentary acknowledging Flair as a legend but how he can't see how he can escape Vader in the cage. Tony had a great line about Flair putting up his career at Starrcade and in this match he is putting up his life. Vader looked like a monster.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

If you mean "one where he looked overmatched from start to finish, even though he won three big matches", Pete, then yes, this was unique and fresh.

I don't remember ever seeing a TV show right before a pay-per-view where a defending babyface champion was portrayed as having next to no chance to not only win, but escape with his body intact, but that's what we saw here. Even Hogan was portrayed as having at least a puncher's chance against Andre at Mania III.

I recently read something about Hogan refusing to work with Vader in '94, and I'm beginning to believe that the only reason Flair kept the belt as long as he did was because they knew Hogan was coming in by summer and they needed someone for him to beat. In other words, Vader was allowed to beat Flair from pillar to post, because he really was ​supposed to be WCW's top star, but he couldn't have the belt because Hogan didn't want to work with him. That meant that Flair could look like a total tomato can, which he did all through this feud, just as long as the belt stayed in his possession until Hogan could clear his schedule for long enough to take it from him. So much for keeping champions strong so beating them means something, huh, Easy E?

Once and for all, Leon, do you really need Harley? You're a better promo than he ever was, and you do a great job of looking and sounding like an unbeatable monster. You'd do so much better on your own. Let Harley be Bock's assistant commissioner, which is a role I think he'd excel at.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-02-19-WCW-Saturday Night] Vader public workout