Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-03-19-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Eddie Gilbert

Loss

• 1 month later...

Love these guys, but feuding over a van? And a Ford Aerostar at that? This is just the finish. We don't actually get the full match, as it looks like it didn't air, or the source footage cut it out for some reason. Anyway, Lawler tries to leave in the van and Gilbert throws a fire extinguisher through the windshield, so there's that. Angles feuding over something no one gives a shit about are one of my favorite dumb wrestling things.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Gilbert and Lawler have gone from feuding over Sam Bass' jacket to feuding over Peggy Gilbert's Aerostar van. Double dose of lame, but I'm amused at Brown's implication that Gilbert put the van up without his mother's permission. This is extremely hacked-up, and while it's certainly better than ECW Gilbert, I'm pretty much over him at this point.

• 1 year later...

Kinda disappointed in my PWO bros here, downplaying this awesome angle. This is like the most delightful thing I've ever seen:

• First of all, it's Jerry Lawler v Eddie Gilbert.
  • Not just that, you've got Jerry Lawler putting up his *crown* against Eddie Gilbert's mom's Ford Aerostar van.
  • I'll repeat that: Eddie Gilbert's mom's Ford Aerostar van. Dave has the keys, the title, everything.
  • Jerry wins, of course - so Eddie decides to stop him from driving away by throwing a fire extinguisher through the windshield!

This made me as happy as anything I've seen on the 1994 yearbook so far. Eddie & Jerry are so comfortable in their roles, playing this absolutely straight (as they should!) and as believable as a wrestler putting up his mom's van against another wrestler's crown can be.

• 1 year later...

Okay, here's the backstory on this one:
​They'd not only been feuding over the Unified title but various other personal objects. The story that Eddie was so obsessed with, not just being like the King, but being Jerry Lawler. Lawler's Lord of the Rings ring, crowns, and silver and black matching ring jackets that once had been worn by Lawler & former partner/manager/best buddy Sam Bass were among the cherished goods here. The story was that Tommy Gilbert borrowed the jacket from Sam one night and never gave it back. Lawler wanted it back. Of course, after this match, Eddie shreds the jacket with scissors. An infuriated Lawler fires off a "you son of a bitch" much to Dave Brown's consternation.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-03-19-USWA-TV] Jerry Lawler vs Eddie Gilbert