Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-03-20-WWF-Wrestlemania X] Lex Luger vs Yokozuna

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

So many blown opportunities here, starting with what happened the previous night with Luger babbling on about how he was going to win the belt tomorrow. On top of which, they must have been building to a Luger/Perfect feud with how the match ended but it never happened. Curt didn't appear on WWF TV again until next year's Survivor Series, by which time Lex was gone.

I absolutely can't buy the idea that Luger would have won the title if not for blabbing the finish. The WWF themselves spoiled two of the biggest shows of the year twice in two months in 1988 and kept going. Plus you had Mr. Perfect as the guest referee. Even accounting that all WWF babyfaces were instantly friends, is any other finish possible besides "Perfect screws Luger out of the belt"?

No, it's definitely about Wrestlemania.

Summerslam was Vince deciding to postpone Luger winning the title since gates were strong at the time (which in hindsight was probably because Bret/Lawler was a hot issue) and he thought he could save a title change for when business started to dive again.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought the finish was bad but not horrible and I always loved the way Perfect says "thats my story and I am stiiiiicking to it" in the promo backstage. It would have been interesting if they had went with a Luger/Bret match last with Luger targeting the knee setting up a heel turn.

• 1 year later...

As a match, it wasn't great. There were things I liked. Teasing the Bodyslam is a pretty good match story and makes for a fun transition or two. Yoko's cut-offs are great as always. I really liked the transition with the ringpost and Luger's comeback after that. Lawler was pretty fun on commentary. Perfect got a great ovation when he came out.

Way too resthold-y though. I understand why it was like that but it hurt the match.

• 9 months later...

And so we come to the end of All-American Lex Luger: Main Eventer. And not a goddamn moment too soon. He didn't have a ton of booking favors, but going through the Observers I was stunned--and I say this as a guy who hated the push from day 1--at how staggeringly unsuccessful the summer mega-push really was. It's really one of the biggest booking busts in WWF history.

This finish is kind of weak, but it's not like it's not comparable to half a dozen AAA finishes. And...well, the identity of the guest refs was one of the worst-kept secrets in wrestling. With Mr. Perfect and what happened at WM9, does any ending that's not "Perfect screws Luger over" make sense? This probably would come across better if Perfect had actually stuck around for his post-show program. Lex shows more fire and intensity in the post-match confrontation than he has in his entire WWF stint to date. For a second, the WCW Lex was back.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-03-20-WWF-Wrestlemania X] Lex Luger vs Yokozuna
  • 1 year later...

I didn't hate the disqualification finish as it opens the door to a Luger/Perfect feud (that never happened, mind), but I did hate this match. Things start out well enough with Luger punching Yoko around the place. He attempts to slam Yokozuna, but is unsuccessful. Luger then gets trapped in a claw hold and the match slows to snail's pace. This felt like a Hogan match without the energy or charisma. The only reason I'm giving this even one star is that Yoko exceptional bumps well for Luger's forearms.