Pro Wrestling Only

• 1 month later...

Eddie Marlin sends in a taped promo to tell the Rock & Rolls and Heavenly Bodies that whoever loses is welcome in SMW. They are copying the Lawler/Dundee hype from 1983.

Then, VINCE does a WWF STYLE HYPE JOB for Bluegrass Brawl and I'm completely weirded out. He says the same thing -- that the losing team can join them. But seeing Vince talk about the Heavenly Bodies and Rock & Roll Express and the Bluegrass Brawl in his WWF Announcer Vince McMahon Voice is surreal.

He calls Jim Cornette a combination of Rhett Butler, Ted Turner, Red Barber and Col. Sanders all rolled into one!

Then, we cut to a promo from Cornette and the Bodies. I love the focus on this being the culmination of a 10-year rivalry between Cornette and the Rock & Rolls.

Then, we get the famous promo of Morton reading the goodbye letter, which is just incredible. Morton lays it all out. He says if they don't win this match, he'll never wrestle again.

This is all outstanding.

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing Vince here is something else. He hypes the loser leaves town match while pitching an offer to the losing team to come join the WWF. I misheard Vince saying Brett Butler (the actress) which I thought was a curious one to compare Cornette to. Morton's promo is awesome. I love the whole reading a letter thing. He writes a letter to help him say what he has to. Ricky is very emotional.

Great segment that provided the final hype for Bluegrass Brawl. Seeing Vince on SMW TV was absolutely surreal. Cornette did another great fired up promo and the Bodies didn’t detract this time with goofy bits. Morton reading the letter and getting choked up was awesome and heartfelt. Wonderful Segment.

• 2 weeks later...

This whole segment is pretty amazing. I've basically seen nothing of SMW so all of it is really impressing me a lot at least in highlight form. The Ricky Morton letter is one of the best interviews/sell jobs I've seen in a while. Happy the actual match will be on the set later.

• 5 months later...

Holy shit, Vince on SMW TV hyping the Bluegrass Brawl !!!! Totally surreal !!!

Then the great part, Ricky reading his letter, it's just a perfect promo, Ricky is stuttering a bit becaus of the emotion, it's not overdone, it's not overacted and overdramatic (hum... "Sorry, I love you"...), it's just pitch perfect, feels real and genuine. Awesome money promo, *again*.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I believe Cornette lifted this idea from the Lawler/Dundee LLT match, where Georgia's Freddie Miller and I think somebody else sent in tapes inviting the loser to come wrestle in their promotion. It's a fantastic concept, and Vince in particular is AMAZING. "Smoky Mountain's loss is going to be the World Wrestling Federation's gain!" Jim Cornette is a combination of Rhett Butler, Ted Turner, Red Barber, and Col. Sanders!

Cornette and the Bodies won't appear live in the arena, lest the Rock 'n Rolls try to jump them before Bluegrass Brawl. Prichard personally promises not to let Mama Cornette down. One last money promo from Cornette follows--he's relishing the idea that Ricky & Robert will retire rather than wrestle anywhere besides SMW.

Morton is darn near choked up, having written a letter during a bout of insomnia brought on by the upcoming match. Ricky talks about reuniting with Gibson and subtly acknowledges his heel run--and the crowd is SILENT, hanging on to every word. Morton gives a pre-emptive thanks to the fans in the event that they lose. Spectacular stuff, probably the best Morton promo ever from a criminally underrated talker. Robert Gibson stands nearby, and adds one sentence to the proceedings. If that doesn't sum up the Rock 'n Rolls in five seconds, I don't know what does. But this has been the best-built match of the year, hands down, in a year that's seen some damn good builds already.

• 2 years later...

Dutch says that come the Bluegrass Brawl on 4/1 the world is watching, not only fans in Smoky Mountain Wrestling, but fans across the world. Before he talks to today’s guest he wants everyone to hear comments from some big time promoters across the wrestling world and also Jim Cornette and the Heavenly Bodies.

First up we get an interview from Eddie Marlin and he doesn't really say much, but whichever team loses the ‘loser leaves town’ match is more than welcome to join them in the USWA.

From Eddie we go to Vince McMahon AND VINCE MCMAHON IS ON SMW TV!!!! The World Wrestling Federation officials are heading to the Bluegrass Brawl after Wrestlemania. In the main event it’s the Heavenly Bodies against the Rock & Roll Express for the SMW tag team titles inside a cage and on top of that, the loser must leave the Smoky Mountain region. Smoky Mountain’s loss is going to be the World Wrestling Federation’s gain as they would welcome either team into the WWF, they would even welcome Jim Cornette himself! Surreal seeing Vince McMahon on SMW TV, although not sure why anyone would take a gig in the USWA over the WWF! Vince completely blows Marlin away when it comes to personality, charisma and aura here.

Jim Cornette informs everyone that the Bodies won’t be seen live on television today for the simple reason that with the Rock & Rolls being the noted back jumpers and back fighters that they are, they’re afraid they might try to do something dastardly and evil before the Bluegrass Brawl to try and get an advantage. Del Ray says that the Rock & Rolls aren’t family so they are not as tight as he and his cousin are, and they’ve got one heck of a game plan waiting for them. Prichard says talking of family they had a nice conversation with Jim Cornette’s mother and they promised her that they won’t let him down, they won’t let her down and they have a special bonus heading their way when they defeat the Rock & Roll Express in Pikeville. They’re the SMW tag team champions and the greatest tag team that ever came down the pipe. The entire wrestling world is asking the question as to whether the Heavenly Bodies can finally put an end to the Rock & Roll Express, well the answer is yes, and Ricky Morton and Robert Gibson will take off their boots like the say they would and we’ll walk out the champions that we are. Cornette says that all the marbles are on the line in the ‘loser leaves town’ match and while they can go anywhere, the Rock & Roll Express say they’ll never wrestle again if they can’t be in Smoky Mountain Wrestling. April 1st will mark the end of ten years of his life, ten years of hatred, ten years of frustration, ten years that he’s chased them across the country trying to put an end to them and finally it’s going to happen, as they will be out of SMW and out of professional wrestling when they lose the match inside the cage at the Bluegradd Brawl.

Back on Down & Dirty and Dutch is joined by the Rock & Roll Express. Ricky Morton says that he’s had so much on his mind these past few weeks that he’s hardly been able to sleep, so last night wrote a letter to explain how he feels and would like to read it to everyone. When he first came to Smoky Mountain Wrestling and reunited it seemed like that was all he ever wanted. He’s made mistakes in wrestling and in life itself and Robert could’ve said no and told him to get lost but he didn’t, and for that he’s grateful. When he walked back through that curtain with Robert he knew his place, but now they’re faced with the toughest match they’ve ever had and never has more been at stake. At the Bluegrass Brawl inside a cage the tag team titles are on the line, but most importantly, the losers have to leave Smoky Mountain Wrestling. He doesn’t know whether they will win or not, but if they do lose he would like to thank the fans for all the great times and support that they’ve given them and for making his time in SMW happy. He tells Gibson that he loves him like a brother and if they do lose his career is over, not only will he leave SMW, but he’ll never put on another pair of wrestling boots again. This feud has taken a lot out of them for the past ten years, from Texas to New York and everywhere in between, but now it’s come to a point where one of them is going to leave in a blaze of glory. He thinks that Robert and he have one good one left in them, but if he doesn’t get a chance to say goodbye, he’d like to say thank you and God bless. Gibson says that he knows they have one more good one left in them and the two of them hug.

Awesome segment and Morton was exceptional here, getting all emotional and fighting back the tears as he was reading his letter. Gibson had the one line and nearly butchered that!

• GSR changed the title to [1994-03-19-SMW-TV] Down and Dirty