Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-04-09-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat

Loss

• 1 month later...

Gene does a control center for Spring Stampede with both Flair and Steamboat available by satellite. Both Flair and Steamboat are great in this. I wish Hogan hadn't muddied up the build, because both guys are so good in these segments.

Later in the show, Steamboat comes out to watch Flair's match, as Flair requested. Flair comes out in a suit and says he'll have the match in his suit, that he doesn't need to wear his ring gear for such an easy match. He makes easy work of the jobber, but refuses to release the figure four after the match while pointing at Steamboat. Steamboat comes in to break it up and the ring fills with people to keep them apart. Flair slaps Steamboat and gloats while standing behind security. I LOVED this segment.

• 3 weeks later...

Gene is back to stirring things up between Flair and Steamboat who are both good here. I like them in this setting. Steamboat calls out Flair about his offer to sit ringside to watch Ric wrestle since they already have had so much history together.

Flair comes out for his match but first takes a shot at Tony and then wrestles in his suit! Get a really intense face to face which I liked since they didn't resort to going to blows. But then Flair smacks Steamboat in the face! That was great. Flair/Steamboat has picked up alot in the last couple segments between them.

You were right Loss that the build for this match got significantly better the closer to the PPV it did. It is also amazing how much better this type of interview setting was than any of the pre fight interviews UFC does at shows. I loved Flair calling out Gene for him inviting Steamboat to watch his match last week. Flair is at his cocky best here.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The face-to-face interview is AWESOME. Flair is such a cocky prick but the great thing is that he backs up everything he says, 100%. Shades of gray again. Steamboat to his credit holds his own--he's acquitted himself very nicely here when going by his past history, he could have let Flair suffocate him.

Later in the show, Steamboat has taken up Ric's invitation and Ric comes out...in a suit. Somewhere Vince McMahon is blowing a gasket. Flair is not going to put a robe on to wrestle the likes of THAT, so he gives Schiavone the chance to hold something that's worth his entire house in one hand (until Heenan pockets the Rolex in a laugh-out-loud moment). Flair takes this guy down and figure fours him in 10 seconds, then trash talks toward Steamboat while continuing to apply the hold. Steamboat is about ready to get physical, but the suits keep them apart, even after Flair slaps Steamboat across the face!

Two terrific segments. Flair's turn has been carried out in such a refreshingly organic manner, I no longer care whether or not he "should" have stayed babyface.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-04-09-WCW-Saturday Night] Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat