Pro Wrestling Only

The Four Horsemen in the JCP era

Jkeats

There are some classic Dusty "What the hell is he talking about?!?!?" kind of promos (so far my favorite is the one hyping the barbed wire match where he says America was made by barbed wire, keeping varmints out) but two of my favorite quotes so far:

Ric Flair: "I got a letter from a woman who didn't want me to talk about my clothes, my cars, my women, my looks...don't you understand that one of the problems of the world today is lack of communication?!"

and from the wisdom of Tully Blanchard: "Wrestling is like a chess game between two men...(pause)...or four if it's a tag team"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember the exact quote, but this is pretty close.

Magnum TA: "It's just going to be two men in the ring, eye-to-eye, getting it on like two men should."

Yes it's from the same classic that gives us "and when I come to Philadelphia I'm gonna come on you like no one has ever come on you before..." and ends with "because this is professional wrestling where men are men and the boys sit on the side and watch what's going on!"

And then he gets the crap kicked out of him by the Andersons.

Magnum TA: "It's just going to be two men in the ring, eye-to-eye, getting it on like two men should."

One of the more endearing things about 1980s wrestling "accidental gay-ness". For some of the most egregious examples were the videos Memphis used to get the "Fabulous Ones" over -- two guys lounging in a haystack, getting dressed together....at the time it got them over like gangbusters. Viewed with our more sophisticated eyes it looks straight out of...like Cyndi Lauper said...Blue Boy Magazine.

A couple of observations:

1. I've never paid too much attention to Ole Anderson for various reasons, but man he cuts some great promos. He makes me feel like an 8-year-old kid who just did something wrong in front of his father. Instead of the father yelling and screaming to punish the kid, he just gives "the stare" and talks in a stern, yet calm, tone. Classic.

2. David Crockett is more annoying than I previously thought. I never liked his commentary at PPVs, but having to listen to him on TV is worse.

3. Why is Sam Houston always the first "wrestler from the locker room" to run in during out of control brawls or when a wrester is injured?

4. I'm going to invent a drinking game involving Dusty Rhodes. Any time a wrestler or announcer mentions Dusty during a promo, I take a shot. I should be drunk after about three promos.

5. I know times were different in 1985, but did the NWA ever get any heat for Dusty using the term "wetback" or pushing around Baby Doll (and dragging her around by her hair for that matter)?

A couple of observations:

1. I've never paid too much attention to Ole Anderson for various reasons, but man he cuts some great promos. He makes me feel like an 8-year-old kid who just did something wrong in front of his father. Instead of the father yelling and screaming to punish the kid, he just gives "the stare" and talks in a stern, yet calm, tone. Classic.

I know, right? Even though this is the time period I grew up in, with wrestling, I never paid much attention to Ole. But ever since seeing that "big turn of 1980" promo he cut on Dusty back in Georgia and reliving all of this Horsemen stuff...he's a hell of a promo. Completely believable and a bully.

2. David Crockett is more annoying than I previously thought. I never liked his commentary at PPVs, but having to listen to him on TV is worse.

When he's screaming "She likes it! She likes it!" when Magnum (forcibly) kisses Baby Doll and tears her dress, I just wanted to smack him. He was like that little dog on the old cartoons "hey Spike, whattaya wanna do, huh Spike?! Huh Spike?!"

3. Why is Sam Houston always the first "wrestler from the locker room" to run in during out of control brawls or when a wrester is injured?

Someone made a comment once about how there is always that progression of people coming out for the save. It makes it look like the enhancement guys locker rooms were closer to the ring because they always hit first :) Houston is really good in his role. He has a couple of really nice matches and plays that "rookie in over his head" role to perfection. Probably because he was :)

4. I'm going to invent a drinking game involving Dusty Rhodes. Any time a wrestler or announcer mentions Dusty during a promo, I take a shot. I should be drunk after about three promos.

5. I know times were different in 1985, but did the NWA ever get any heat for Dusty using the term "wetback" or pushing around Baby Doll (and dragging her around by her hair for that matter)?

I was thinking the same thing. If you really watch those promos, Tully thinks Baby Doll is a 10, treats her nicely, compliments her when everyone else is calling her names, actually seems to care about her. Dusty, on the other hand, insults her, drags her around and bullies her. Magnum forces himself on her and then tears her dress. Odd sense of good guy/bad guy. Although, when the Tully-Doll break up happens, he is a TOTAL heel on her.

If you ever check out the Macchia comps there is a Dusty promo during the time he comes to WWWF to fight Graham. He is cutting a promo about the match and says "it's gonna be an all day affair! Bring your lunch! Black people, bring your fried chicken! Chinamen, bring your Chinese food!"

There goes my hero, watch him as he goes... :)

If that is 5/3/86 then I agree. Probably one of the best free matches on TV ever.

Yup that is the one. Just a war. Reminded me a lot of the Lawler-Dundee LLT match from 83. They just tore into each other and both men looked exhausted by the end of it. I'm really starting to gain a new respect for Garvin. Tully, on the other hand, has always been one of my favorites and this just reinforces that.

The main thing that stands out for me is how believeable the 4HM and their opponents tried to make their fueds. Wrestling is at its best when the viewer forgets for a minute that it's all a work. The 4HM had that rare ability to entertain through over-the-top character development and suck you in even further through their believeable work rate and matches. I've always been a fan of the 4HM, but seeing them develop and finally having the chance to see their feuds evolve over time is making me even more of a fan.

The main thing that stands out for me is how believeable the 4HM and their opponents tried to make their fueds. Wrestling is at its best when the viewer forgets for a minute that it's all a work. The 4HM had that rare ability to entertain through over-the-top character development and suck you in even further through their believeable work rate and matches. I've always been a fan of the 4HM, but seeing them develop and finally having the chance to see their feuds evolve over time is making me even more of a fan.

I agree. I also liked how the feuds were multi-faceted. It wasn't just Flair feuding with Dusty. He was also feuding with Magnum and then having heel-heel matches with Nikita. Then Garvin and back to Dusty. Same with Tully and the Andersons.

The one thing that struck me was that it's mid 1986 and they are JUST starting to use the term Four Horsemen. They had mentioned the Horsemen before here and there and even went so far as "three Horsemen" when Ole leaves for a bit. The group didn't actually seem to become a "thing" until around this time period, where they referenced (and were referenced as) the Horsemen the majority of the time.

The stuff with Morton was even better than I remembered it, especially with the WPW matches and handhelds.

EDIT: Cornette's comments about facing the James Gang and how he is prone to fainting had me cracking up

Just when you think no more priceless lines could be uttered during promos, Ronnie Garvin informs Flair that "we're not going to be making love, we're going to be wrestling!" And they headlined Starrcade '87 with this guy.

I didn't think there would be any way I could get through this by the end of the year, but the rate I'm going I might finish it by football season.

Just when you think no more priceless lines could be uttered during promos, Ronnie Garvin informs Flair that "we're not going to be making love, we're going to be wrestling!" And they headlined Starrcade '87 with this guy.

I didn't think there would be any way I could get through this by the end of the year, but the rate I'm going I might finish it by football season.

Well, they weren't!!!! :)

I hear you. It's addicting! The thing that helps is that there are SO many promos. I love that. I sometimes zone out when it's just all matches but I love the healthy dose of promos and angles because it really makes the matches stand out (and the context always makes them better)

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched where the Horseman run in after the Dusty/Tully title switch and try to break Baby Doll's leg. When Flair climbs the top rope you can tell everyone in the building wants to kill him. And Flair does such a great job of milking it by undoing his tie and sort of hanging there for a few seconds before the faces run in.

Classic!

The horsemen encompass SO many tremendous storylines and matches in that short span (85-88) and were used against the entire face locker room as a way of bringing the faces up. Their presence just gave that added legitimacy as you believed they would win "By any means necessary". Each of them played their parts so well.

The promos and the angles not only give the excellent matches context - but in my mind it's the other half of the art of pro-graps. The fact that all four of them could deliver on the mike as well as in the ring I think is what made the group so special. Having watched so much of that live at 6 on TBS I'm thrilled.

• 1 month later...

I just watched the Luger/Tully vs. Armstrongs match from Crockett Cup '87 and man, what a fun little gem of a match. Brad is on fire and Bob plays elder statesmen and really connects with the crowd. His "cheating payback" spots are really fun. Tully and Lex are stooging and bumping all over the place. A really fun match.

It's also interesting to note that Brad is only slightly smaller in musculature than Luger. Their arms are about the same size.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I shelved this for a while so I didn't get burned out on it, but am starting to watch again. Classic line from Ole. I think he was cutting a promo on Dusty: "I'm gonna leave my mark! And I'm gonna leave it on your face!"

I could see guys like Flair and Tully giving Ole shit about that line in the locker room and Ole not getting why they thought it was so funny, getting pissed, and stomping out in a huff while complaining about the current generation of workers.

• 1 month later...

Just when I thought this couldn't get better, I am now getting through the section where they kick Ole out of the Horsemen. Classic stuff! This just keeps getting better and better. Even Lex Luger is tolerable in his role. It's funny to listen to Lex try and cut a promo, though. You can tell JJ Dillon wants to jump in at times to rescue him, but Lex just keeps going.

• 1 month later...

The guy screaming "You fat pig!" at Dusty during the handheld match between Flair/ Tully and Dusty/ Magnum cracked me up, as well as Flair yelling that he was hanging out with Leona Helmsley on his lap, not exactly Loni Anderson and Linda Carter.

Edit: Holy shit, that handheld Title vs Title Magnum TA vs Arn Anderson match was fucking awesome.