Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-04-16-NJPW-Super J Cup] El Samurai vs Great Sasuke

Loss

• 1 month later...

This wasn't very long, but it was a great match and they really maximized the time. This is the NJ juniors formula executed really well. The early matwork is terrific and the series of highspots and nearfalls near the finish was heated and very exciting. This isn't something I'll remember very much because there's not much unique about it. It's just two guys working a house style really well. But there's nothing wrong with that.

I don't know if I had seen this match since the first time I watched this tape 10 years ago. I am sure at that time I didn't get into it until the Sasuke special and the finishing run. That is still well executed now in retrospect but where this match really shines is in the opening 5 minutes of matwork. Really tight and intricate work being done. I almost feel like this is two separate matches and I didn't think the transition from matwork to dives and nearfalls was done well but overall this was a good match showcasing Sasuke rising up the ranks.

• 1 year later...

Really not a fan at all of Sasuke completely blowing off the leg work, because the leg work was really damn good. A return to form for Samurai. Lots of great near-falls down the stretch, before Sasuke takes it with a rollup reversal--of which there were a LOT on this show, and I think it's a legitimate weakness that the juniors formula got repeated so much over the course of the night.

• 2 years later...

Sammy's got a baby blue mask, totally color uncoordinated with his outfit. He's the most inelegant greatest wrestler ever. Sasuke, it's been a long while. Working the mat, and making it a struggle. Damn, Sammy was great, and Sasuke is up for it. See Delphin, your boss is selling the leg, shaking it off walking at ringside. Turning into one of the best finishing stretch I've seen in a long time. I forgot. This is great. Short, but damn great. How could Sammy be at the same time so awkard looking, so ugly and yet so swift and on the point ? This guy needs reevaluation. Sasuke does look like a major star and super worker. Liger really was all about making these indy guys shine.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-04-16-NJPW-Super J Cup] El Samurai vs Great Sasuke