Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-04-17-WCW-Spring Stampede] Rick Rude vs Sting

Loss

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

When Rude showed up in 1991, it lit a fire under Sting and really helped him to get his level of work to the next level, and it's about that time that I began to enjoy Sting on a regular basis.

1994, Rude is so done here, and Sting actually reverted to do his no-selling bayface act that he wasn't doing that much in big matches. It's decent at best, and only look better than it is thanks to the great heat. The big gold belt being basically an undercard championship (nobody would think Rude was the Man at that time), all goes toward a unification so that Flair can get back the big gold belt and ditch this useless fake world championship. Cool pop for Sting but not really a good match nor a decisive moment. The promise of a renewed feud with vader is obviously the highlight.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I love this crowd! Can't say the same for this finish, which goes completely off the rails with Harley and Vader seemingly each waiting for the other to do something, and Rude having to badly stall. Just awful execution and I'm not sure who was at fault. Bockwinkel looks totally ineffective at ringside while all this chaos is going on around him in a supposed title match. Also telling: as soon as Randy Anderson gets creamed, EVERYONE turns and looks to the entrance way, well before Harley and Vader appear. That's been a problem for WCW for a few years now and it's only fixing to get worse.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-04-17-WCW-Spring Stampede] Rick Rude vs Sting
  • 1 year later...

The crowd finally come alive for The Stinger. Sting no-sells a tad here, but he's charismatic enough to pull it off. Rude bumps his ass off for Sting and there's plenty of moments here that would fit right at home on that Rick Rude Getting Atomic Dropped Twitter account. Shenanigans ensue when the referee gets taken, with Vader and Race getting involved. It was quite overbooked, but I found it entertaining. 

★★★