Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-04-25-USWA-Mid South Coliseum, TN] Jerry Lawler vs Dream Machine (Coward's Way Out)

Loss

• 1 month later...

Tremendous, violent spectacle. This is a Coward's Way Out match, which means there is no referee, and the only way to win is to beat up your opponent so badly that he runs back to the dressing room. They throw some wild punches at each other in the early minutes before DM grabs a board and starts trying to choke Lawler out with it. Because there's no referee, there's no one to stop him.

Both guys are busted open hardaway and this is a war. DM eats a piledriver on the floor and sells it like he's dead, only for a bloodthirsty crowd to beg him to do it one more time. This time, DM cuts him off with a low blow and starts choking him with the microphone cord. These punches are just crazy.

GREAT finish, as DM is unloading fists on Lawler, Lawler throws fire at him, and DM takes off running to the locker room. I LOVED this match. So basic, but so brutal, and a nice, rare treat to get a Mid South Coliseum match in full.

Thanks for explaining the match stipulation. That's actually a pretty cool match rule. One thing to quit but to actually run away to the back. Really good brawl. Lawler hits a piledriver on the floor which I think is it but Dream Machine survives. He proceeds to ram Lawler repeatedly into the ring post. Lots of punches thrown here also by both men. Good ones too. Getting a fireball to the face is a pretty believable reason to run away.

This was a tremendous fight. Both motherfuckers just duked it out and bled hardway. The back and forth in the corner was awesome and just looked intense as hell. The finish was excellent as Lawler is getting his face smashed in against the ring post and throws a fireball in DM's face. DM runs to the back and Lawler wins. This was a pleasant gem and a fantastic one at that.

• 8 months later...

I've been lukewarm on the Dream Machine the few times he's popped up on this set, but this match completely brought me around. Those punches toward the end looked brutal!

I also loved how DM didn't waste any time running away at the end. No pause to sell it to the crowd or try and save face a little. He just took off and didn't even slow down.

• 1 year later...

There are moments here that come close to evoking the realistic, out-of-control nature of the Lawler/Snowman feud. Dream Machine is SUCH a breath of fresh air for a stale promotion. He's the first non-WWF guy to really seem to shake things up in the USWA since...I dunno, maybe the Moondogs' heyday.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1994-04-25-USWA-Mid South Coliseum, TN] Jerry Lawler vs Dream Machine (Coward's Way Out)