Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-04-30-WCW-Worldwide] Vader vs Cactus Jack (Texas Death)

Loss

• 1 month later...

Really good match, but I can't tell you how much I hate the atmosphere of the Worldwide Arena. This is the match that led to Cactus wanting to leave WCW, as he was assured they would put over the history between the two on commentary and the announcers didn't really treat the match very seriously. It's a shame, because it's something that would have gotten over really big at just about any arena in the country. They accomplished quite a bit in a 7-minute match. Vader takes some unprotected chairshots, and Cactus takes another powerbomb outside the ring.

Dusty doesn't let Cactus get much of a word in when they are choosing the match type. They pick Texas Tornado Match which I guess is because they rather use the word Tornado over Texas. Tony alludes to it briefly. I thought Tornado Match was for tag matches and this is singles. Don't like really quick pinfalls that wouldn't happen in normal matches. But maybe guys use it to give them a 10 count to get away from their opponent. No mention about previously history between the two. Powerbomb on the floor from Vader. Yikes. Again, glad he stayed down.

The commentary was not bad at all here. They didn't go into the history but it also was not like they constantly were joking or talking about Hogan or something. Only line I didn't care for was the home run line from Bobby. Action was good for seven minute sprint.

This is the match that led to Cactus wanting to leave WCW, as he was assured they would put over the history between the two on commentary and the announcers didn't really treat the match very seriously.

Specificly he got pissed they ignored the finish. Almost exactly 1 year earlier was the match whear Vader power bombed him on the floor and he got stretchered out. This time they repeated it but Cactus made it to his feet before 10 which he thought should have been played up as a huge moment and instead was ignored with Heenan just making a lame 1 liner.

• 5 months later...

Heenan was good at times, but he was way too much concerned with making jokes. It's a shame they got rid of Ventura, he was way way better on every level. (also, Heenan and Gene Okerlund getting shitload of money while guys like Austin and Pillman talking pay cuts is the beginning of the Bischoff era of spending for WWF glory days people instead of developping and paying your homegrown talent). The Worlwide production is one of the worst ever, another Bischoff brainfart.

On the match itself, it felt rushed to me, and was kind of a sad ending to a pretty brutal feud. No wonder Cactus was pissed.

• 4 weeks later...

They pick Texas Tornado Match which I guess is because they rather use the word Tornado over Texas. Tony alludes to it briefly. I thought Tornado Match was for tag matches and this is singles. Don't like really quick pinfalls that wouldn't happen in normal matches. But maybe guys use it to give them a 10 count to get away from their opponent.

It was supposed to be a Texas Death Match (pinfall followed by a 10-count), but WCW was apparently run by such a pack of pussies that they refused to use the word "death" in this case.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Really good match, but I can't tell you how much I hate the atmosphere of the Worldwide Arena. This is the match that led to Cactus wanting to leave WCW, as he was assured they would put over the history between the two on commentary and the announcers didn't really treat the match very seriously. It's a shame, because it's something that would have gotten over really big at just about any arena in the country. They accomplished quite a bit in a 7-minute match. Vader takes some unprotected chairshots, and Cactus takes another powerbomb outside the ring.

I basically stopped watching wrestling for awhile because I hated what the WWF became and WCW was going through a lame period. I caught this match and it made realize things had changed in wrestling. It brought me back!!! :D

• 11 months later...

This was part of a deal where they'd, if I remember this right, pick two random names to wrestle each other and then draw a gimmick match on top of it. Vader accuses Dusty of rigging the draw to make it a Texas "Tornado" match. I would love for them to have referenced the alleged 1985 NBA lottery fix full-bore and show surveillance footage of Dusty refrigerating the Texas Tornado envelope.

Schiavone is in a studio somewhere and not at Disney, so he gets to call it a "Death" match and complain about liberals while doing it. I get Cactus' point--Schiavone fails to mention Halloween Havoc, fails to mention the power bomb on concrete in '93, fails to mention the ripped ear...just absurd. I'll give Heenan more of a pass, since he wasn't around for most of this program's history. These two do what they can with the restrictions placed on them. Cactus murders Vader with some stiff punches and some brutal chair shots. Heenan actually says "REST HOLD," which I can't say that I've ever heard on an actual wrestling telecast before. Race hits Jack so hard with a chair that HE goes down. The finish goes a bit differently than in Foley's book--Heenan's quip is different than what's described, and Jack never actually gets up from the power bomb, though he doesn't do a stretcher job either.

• 2 months later...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the version of this match I've seen ends with Cactus being powerbombed, there's a suspicious edit, and that's the end. I remember reading in Foley's book that he actually got up from the powerbomb which he thought was awesome drama, surviving it a year to the day it hospitalised him, before Harley knocked him back down at 9 and fucked him. Though he didn't connect the dots in the book itself, I wonder if the fact they edited out him getting to his feet was the straw than broke the camel's back.

• 2 years later...

Really good match, but I can't tell you how much I hate the atmosphere of the Worldwide Arena. This is the match that led to Cactus wanting to leave WCW, as he was assured they would put over the history between the two on commentary and the announcers didn't really treat the match very seriously.

What a pissy baby. Never mind the fact that he was also involved in one of the company's hottest programs at the time of this unrelated B-show main event with 1 week build--no no, the announcers didn't use his preferred verbiage, so it'a "wah wah wah! I want out! this company hates me!". Tony and Bobby sure didn't trash the match, they just didn't alter the tone and shtick they'd been using together for 3+ months. The wacky G-rated Disney Worldwide era was a company problem, not just a Mick Foley problem.

This is excellent for what it is, and due to the short time allotted, it's one of the few TDM's (the only one?) I've ever seen that doesn't have the 30-second rest period between pinfall and 10-count. I wish they all didn't, because that always seemed like a drama and logic killer to me.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-04-30-WCW-Worldwide] Vader vs Cactus Jack (Texas Death)