Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-05-15-AAA-Triplemania II-B] Mascara Sagrada vs Black Cat

Loss

• 1 month later...

This is a world class carry job from Black Cat. Almost everything highspot Sagrada does looks awkward, but Black Cat puts on a great performance. One thing Sagrada can do reasonably well is lay on the mat and sell the pain of a hold, so that's what he's put in a position to do, and the match works. I love that BC keeps the figure four on outside the ring when Sagrada tries to roll out of it and they hit the arena floor! That could have ended awkwardly. Sagrada makes a comeback swinging a chair pretty hard a few minutes later. BC goes all Tenryu and tries a series of powerbombs for the win, but Sagrada reverses to win the first fall.

The second fall sees Sagrada attempt a few quick pins, but not really get results. BC ups the aggression, ripping the mask and applying a hammerlock and a Boston Crab. Sagrada keeps teasing a comeback and BC keeps cutting him off with great moves, like a middle rope DDT and a cradle piledriver. However, that earns him a DQ, which appears to be because of the execution of it (Not sure which lucha rule that breaks), and Sagrada lucks into a win.

This isn't as proficient as most of the best lucha libre, but the match is paced and laid out so well that it really doesn't matter. I loved this.

Thought this was pretty decent. Sagrada doesn’t look like the most fluid guy at times but he has some decent selling in the first fall. I liked the figure four sequence where they rolled to the outside though it is a bit risky of a move. Black Cat pulls out a bunch of suplexes in the second fall. Visually he looks like the much better guy. If you going to get disqualified for doing a piledriver you might as well do one like that.

I was shocked at how good I thought this was. Black Cat was really the star here using tremendous offense to try and put away Sagrada. In just two falls Sagrada sneaks away with the victory as he reverses a powerbomb attempt in the first fall and wins by DQ in the second fall after a questionable spike piledriver from Black Cat. This was totally unique from most lucha libre because Black Cat had so much power offense in his arsenal. I enjoyed this quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This is about as non-lucha as lucha gets without involving Jake the Snake. Sagrada is awkward as fuck, and has a weird way of selling every move by laying on his back and holding his fingers in the air. But he isn't terrible or anything here, and is willing to take every bit of offense that Black Cat has. Black Cat has a ton of shit that he can roll out, and the match is pretty well-structured with a good payback spot involving the chair and a comeback from Sagrada that looks like it means something considering he was blindsided before the opening bell. Cat finally loses his temper in the second fall and drops him with a cradle piledriver to get disqualified, and continuing the piledriver-centric story of Los Gringos Locos. Cat and Art Barr's visual demonstrations of a martinete as opposed to what BC did are laugh-out-loud funny. I wouldn't know enough to compare Sagrada to Rayo de Jalisco Jr. as far as aging lucha heavyweights go, but Rayo strikes me as a bit better. Good match here, though.

• 1 year later...

Black Cat was a well travelled competitor to say the least. The style here was a bit of a mish-mash. Certainly not your traditional Lucha Libre with lots of body part work. It wasn't the moves that I had a problem with so much as the structure. The opening fall lasted over 15m and felt like a complete match in itself. If you don't leave anything behind then there's nowhere you can really go in subsequent falls. Cat reset to more matwork and then hit the tombstone after getting frustrated with all the kickouts. Sagrada was working from underneath the vast majority of the time. He wasn't half the worker that his midget was.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-05-15-AAA-Triplemania II-B] Mascara Sagrada vs Black Cat
  • 4 years later...

@Loss @GSR

This is actually the lead-in to the Triplemania match. It's 

[1994-05-08-AAA] Mascara Sagrada vs Black Cat

Little more information:
AAA TV (SUN) 05/08/1994 Irapuato, Guanajuato 
Attendance: 1500

The finish here sets up the ending to the Triplemania Match where 

Spoiler

Mascara Sagrada would intentionally lose the segunda due to DQ in order to pin Black Cat in the tercera and win Cat's mask. It's brilliant and certainly a different spin to things at the time. 

The mask match (in full) seems to be lost to time. It exists somewhere out there but I've only seen the two (different) TV airings on Roy Lucier's channel.