Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-05-20-SMW-Volunteer Slam III] Jake Roberts vs Dirty White Boy

Loss

• 1 month later...

This felt way too long even though time was it wasn't. TV match was better as I preferred Jake's antics in that one. Roberts would have been better off being in tag team wrestling at this point as he can do what he does well but not have to be in the ring the whole time. Post match, Jake really sleazes things up and roughs up the Dirty White Girl in front of DWB.

This is another Jake psych match with Mark Curtis taking a fall and Jake tying DWB in the ropes with his wrist tape. Dirty White Girl tries to save DWB but Jake gives her a DDT and tries to lay a snake on her. She gets stretchered out. This was a great angle but just a so so match.

• 2 weeks later...

Dirty White Boy has been involved in some hot angles and good interviews but most of his big matches have been really disappointing. This was no exception. Jake was fine here but not as good as the tv match and DWB just struggles in transitional moves to make a long match come together. Ending angle was good.

• 5 months later...

I know Jake is an internet darling at this point, and I admit he's got great psych antics, but he just never delivers much in the ring. To me he peaked in Mid-South, had some fun matches early in WWF; but quickly he became an angle oriented worker. Great on promos and angle, not so good in matches. Once again it's a snail pace match that doesn't build, Roberts really gets by with smokes and mirrors, and although he's a great evil character, there's a sense of lazyness in his work. The Dirty White Girl stuff looked like a poor rehash of the Liz stuff. I really like Jake, but I have to recognize the fact he just doesn't deliver most of the time in a match setting. He needed to be a manager who worked on occasion at this point, not a main event wrestler.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Slow, but not bad. It's hard to dislike any match where the heel suckers the babyface in with a phony knee injury, then does jumping jacks and squats afterward just to be a dick. If Jake were in halfway decent shape this could have been pretty damn good, because he's so good at ring smarts and creativity. He just can't keep it up physically for 20+ minutes. Jake takes out Mark Curtis and tapes DWB to the ring ropes, as Kendo the Samurai comes out with his bag. Jake kills a jobber while Kendo carries the referee off, and only the Dirty White Girl can save her man. Jake grabs her and taunts the helpless DWB with her for a bit, before pretending to back off and then dropping her with the DDT. This only had about 1/5 the impact of Jake slapping Elizabeth, since that was a monumental event and we've already seen Kimberly get abused off and on. WAY too many clapping fans too, which makes this rather uncomfortable. Kimberly is about to get the snake treatment when FINALLY the other babyfaces wake up and run Jake off.

Jake's post-match promo from the commercial tape didn't make the set but it's well worth tracking down. Jake at his creepy best--almost apologetic and ashamed of his own actions at first before suddenly breaking into laughter and talking of the "lesson" he taught DWB.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-05-20-SMW-Volunteer Slam III] Jake Roberts vs Dirty White Boy