Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-05-22-WCW-Slamboree] Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck (Bullrope)

Loss

• 1 month later...

Another really good one. WCW was so great at this point. The psychotic Philly crowd chanting for blood is no surprise. Buck knows how to set up spots to make himself look like a fool with the bullrope really well. Buck pulling Dustin's shirt over his head and pounding him was awesome, as was Buck tying Dustin to the ringpost and laying his shots in, leading to Dustin's one-armed comeback and low blow to turn the tide. They really do a lot with the gimmick and for a match without blood, did a great job getting over the brutality. Love the finish too!

Post-match, Terry Funk does a surprise run-in to attack Dustin. Wow, the little "I'm in Hollywood" video Dusty did before Funk/Tully is even better now that you realize what followed it. This feud took so many twists and turns and is the one thing in WCW that remained great even after Hogan's arrival.

Good match but I preferred the Stampede match to this. I am not a bullrope fan but they do a decent job with it. It didn't have blood but was still physical. These guys are good opponents for one another. Terry runs down to beat up Dustin and now we get some blood.

I love this match too. Buck is great at being a stumbling and bumbling heel with the Bullrope gimmick. Buck's control segment was great as he beats on Dustin who's shirt is over his head then ties him around the ringpost and beats on him there. Dustin's comeback was great and I like the stiff looking cowbell shot at the finish. Terry Funk attacks and bloodies Dustin after the match to please the Philly crowd and continue the best feud of WCW in 1994. Great match.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little bit behind the Stampede match but still great. I was amazed at how effective they made the bullrope with Buck doing smart spots like tying Dusting up and they made the cowbell crucial to controlling the match and limited the shots with it. I also liked the patience on not doing the blade job until the post match even with the fans yelling for it. Thought Bobby was pretty bad on commentary here and it has been the lowpoint of his commentary from what we have seen from him in WCW at this point. Funk’s run in was nice but they botched the spike piledriver pretty badly.

• 5 months later...

Another really good one. WCW was so great at this point.

I really don't see this. The TV was decent at best, with not much happening, especially a very weak undercard and not much in term of good matches. The PPVs were good, but they give a distorted view of what the company was at that time.

As far as the match goes, I thought it was mediocre. I'm sorry but Jimmy Golden brings nothing to the table except a few goofy facials and maneurisms. His punches and kicks are weak looking, he doesn't project violence at all to me. Brutal, yeah, but not in a good way at times. I thought this was plodding and not very well built at all, with a puzzling leg-work at the beginning. No blood, which hurts (and you can argue the buckets of blood really helped the visuals in the Stampede match)., just a few fun spots here and there. I'm not feeling this feud at all on rewatch, and only Terry Funk's post match beatdown makes things look better. My opinion of Jimmy Golden being a dull worker hasn't changed at all.

• 1 year later...

El-P is so off on Golden it isn't funny. We all have our blind spots. This was pretty brutal. I love how the crotch spot was a theme that played throughout the whole match. Whenever Dustin needed a big swing in momentum, a crotch spot was opening up. Stiff sick belt shots and some nice nut busting psych to go with it. Wish there was blood but this was too fun to penalize.

• 3 months later...

They couldn't repeat the Spring Stampede magic but they made a noble effort. This was a down-and-dirty, gritty fight whereas the Bunkhouse Match was a little more traditional and theatrical. Dustin controls most of this as makes sense, since this is "his" match. Buck still smoke-and-mirrors his way to something compelling, using every available trick he has to inflict pain on Dustin even though he doesn't have much in the way of offense. The Colonel's little run-in is fun--one of the amazing things about Fuller in this role is how he projects vulnerability and weakness. Lots of managers do that, but not many managers are 6' 8" wrestlers. Somehow Fuller can go up against Dustin or even Brian Pillman and still look overmatched. Great foreshadowing with the earlier Dusty video--that becomes important as Dustin is left alone for a surprise attack from Terry Funk. The legends who wrestled were definitely far better utilized than they were in '93 where they just stuck out.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck - WCW Slamboree 1994 Bullrope Match

Philly Wants Blood! Is there a reason why there were buckets of blood at Spring Stampede nary a month before, but none here until the post-match with no real camera shot of it? Dustin was in a tough predicament. The fans wanted blood, but yet teasing hitting Buck in the head with the bell and then hitting him in the midsection then finally hitting him in the head, but not drawing blood is disappointing. Due to the blood constraints, I guess they decide to go with double limb psychology. Dustin was good working the leg wrapping it around the leg, hitting it with the bell and grinding the bell into the knee. I loved Buck's counter by pulling Dustin's shirt over his head and just wailing on him with the rope and bell. I love spots where babyfaces are tied up and helpless. It creates such drama. Buck is beating the shit out of him with the bell until Dustin punts him in the balls. I love it. Another great Dustin comeback! Parker gets involved, but Dustin kicks him off and then wallops him with the bell for three.

Terry Funk sneaks down and busts Dustin open with branding iron to kickstart the next chapter of this storyline. They were really playing up that Dusty was in Hollywood and nowhere to be found. Yet all of Dusty's old enemies have come back to exact revenge on Dusty's son. "Wheres Daddy when you need him?" - Bobby Heenan. Not as great as the violent bloody brawl at Spring Stampede, but a great match in its own right. ****

• GSR changed the title to [1994-05-22-WCW-Slamboree] Dustin Rhodes vs Bunkhouse Buck (Bullrope)