Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-05-27-AAA-Triplemania II-C] Konnan vs Jake Roberts (Hair vs Hair)

Loss

• 2 months later...

Joined in progress. Warlord is at ringside and hits Konnan with some really weak chairshots. Bad wrestling, but the crowd is really into it. The ring fills and a bloody Jake gets his head shaved based on the match stipulation, and it's a wild visual. I read once that he got a $25,000 advance to do this. I don't know if that's true or not.

The Warlord! He walks around ringside hold the chair. Ref takes it away as to try tell him to not be so obvious. Jake pulls out his Thriller music video selling. Warlord seemed confused at times what to do. Sloppy stuff. No short trim for Roberts as they shave is head completely.

Terrible match and the Warlord is the most ridiculous second to have for Jake. The post-match has to be seen to believe as Jake is shaved bald as per match stipulations. The crowd was really into the whole thing. Bad match with a great post-match.

• 2 weeks later...

Crowd heat was awesome but the work was pretty dreadful. Post match was something to see and I was shocked that Jake was completely bald considering I remembered him in 1996 having a good set of hair. Kind of a risky move for him to do at that age. Really cool to see though.

• 1 year later...

Crowd is absolutely nuts for this, so good for them. But this is some bad wrestling--Konnan's selling is utterly bizarre. He'll pump his arms to fire up the crowd and then collapse against the ropes, then go back to pumping up the crowd. Really weird. It occurs to me that I don't think I've ever seen Jake bleed before this, not even in Mid-South. Post-match is really fun, with the tecnicos coming out to congratulate Konnan and then La Parka and Psicosis coming out to tease a fight. But when Jake tries to flee, the rudos corner him and help force him into a haircut. Warlord appears to be attempting to offer his own head up for shaving in sacrifice, which is really funny. Seeing that trademark long hair get shaved off really gives some weight to this--as bad as the matches in this feud were, this is an effective and significant payoff. The other wrestlers PUT THE BOOTS to the snake in the bag, which is equal parts horrifying for babyfaces to do, and hilarious.

• 1 month later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1994-05-27-AAA-Triplemania II-C] Konnan vs Jake Roberts (Hair vs Hair)