Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-23-SMW-TV] The Gangstas debut

Loss

• 2 months later...

The Gangstas debut! Yes! They don't trust the police force, so they use their own security. Bob Caudle talks about how this makes him uncomfortable. Ha! They haven't even done anything yet! That was a superstar entrance. Okay squash, but New Jack ends up headbutting the ring mat at the finish. New Jack says 30 years ago, they would have been strung up and hung in trees for beating up two white boys like they just did. They heel themselves big time on the crowd. New Jack ain't here to be liked, he's here to get paid. He finishes the promo by telling OJ Simpson to keep up the good work, as now they have two less to worry about. Lou Farrakhan will be the next President! Snoop Dogg is innocent! They are about to set SMW on fire. Indeed.

Gangstas debut in SMW. Ha, I love how they turn around and put their hands up when Mark Curtis checks them for foreign objects. Squash where opponents get no offense in. New Jack slips off the top with the headbutt but it still scores the victory. Bob Caudel standing between everyone in the promo is funny. They sure are fan favorites with the SMW crowd. New Jack with an OJ Simpson mention. Looks like we have a competition between ECW and SMW.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So, hip-hop in wrestling had been represented by the pathetic PN News, the equally pathetic M.O.M. tag team, and the better but still white-boys parody of PJ13. And there Jim Cornette, in his 80's looking promotion gets more relevant than anyone else by intriducing the Gangstas. I must say it's kinda surreal to see New Jack work a regular match (I've already seen Mustapha as a jobber on WCW tv). Great intro. And then the infamous promo. I knew about it coming in, but still, jaw drops. Holy shit. I barely could watch anything New Jack related in ECW because he quickly turned into a complete self-parody, but I have a feeling I'm gonna really enjoy theme in this very, very particular setting.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Holy moly--this gimmick was probably over-the-top and a failure, and if someone wanted to give the Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic Award to it...I couldn't really argue with them. But man oh man, it's so audacious and daring that I can't help but love it. ElP summed it up brilliantly but I'll also add that these guys are also about 975 times more authentic and realistic than the supposedly cutting-edge Public Enemy. The squash is pretty sloppy--Mustafa looks a lot like Charles Wright but with less talent--and it's pretty much the always supremely awesome bumping of Hamrick that saves it. But the entrance and presence and gimmick are all done pitch-perfect. The sight of Bob Caudle standing among a posse of 6 black guys is fantastic and may become my new wallpaper. Also note the trouble Caudle and ring announcer have with saying the word "Gangstas"--or "Gang Stahhhs," as they suddenly adopt Boston accents.

It's insane and ridiculous that a rinkydink promotion running southern coal mining towns has by FAR the deepest tag team roster in the U.S. The Rock 'n Rolls, the Thrillseekers, the Armstrongs, the Gangstas, Lee & Candido...throw in Well Dunn and the Bodies on occasion and I'll take that against just about any U.S. tag roster since '89 NWA.

• 1 year later...

The Gangstas have their own security as they don't trust the police force and then proceed to squash Chris Hamrick & Anthony Michaels.

The Gangstas interview and New Jack says that 30 years ago they would’ve been strung up getting hung in somebodies tree for beating two white boys like the way they just did. They don’t like being here as he was getting out of his car, slipped and fell in some tobacco spit; there’s nothing but rednecks, geeks, coal miners, chicken farmers and Klan’s men up here and he doesn’t like anyone but his partner. He doesn’t care who they line up in front of him as he is going to show them how bad New Jack and Mustafa are. Violence to some people may be putting the figure four on someone, to him violence is taking a can of gas, pouring it over them and then setting it on fire. He didn’t come up here to be liked, he came here to be paid and whoever they put in front of him he’s going to drop down. He’d like to send a special shout out to his homeboy O.J. Simpson, keep up the good work baby, two less they’ve got to worry about!

Well this was something else! New Jack comes across as one seriously scary, dangerous man and you would have no trouble whatsoever believing he would pour gasoline over someone and then set them alight. Not too sure what to make about Mustafa on first viewing, it’s as though he is trying to act unhinged but it comes across a bit more comedic; not at all like the aura New Jack projects. The TV show needs a shot it the arm at the moment and all the help it can get and I think these two may very well be the men to do it.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-07-23-SMW-TV] The Gangstas debut