Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-07-23-WCW-Saturday Night] Steve Austin and Ricky Steamboat

Loss

• 2 months later...

Austin has come a long way as an interview. Steamboat interrupts Austin after the trash talk gets to be too much. He points out that he has praised Austin, but that he has also wrestled all the greats, and Austin can't touch their jock. Austin says he doesn't want to touch their jock, then they bleep out quite a bit of what he said after that. It leads to Steamboat slapping him and that's that.

Was what Austin said really that bad?

Austin looks like a star to me. Good promo. I wonder what would have happened if he did not get injured. Austin talks trash and Steamboat is not having any of it. Steamboat lies down in the ring daring Austin to come in after him. Nice segment though the beeping seemed excessive.

• 2 weeks later...

Austin cuts a good promo trashing Steamboat then Steamboat has enough and says he used to respect Austin but is now tired of his attitude. Austin apparently curses Steamboat then gets slapped for it. The crowd is a riot during all of this. This was an entertaining segment that made Austin seem big.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Shave that man's head and this could easily pass for a Stone Cold promo. He's channeling that character already. And this was right when Natural Born Killers, one of his influences, came out. Steamboat cuts a pretty fired-up promo and Austin responds with a long-ass bleep. Hot segment! Austin proclaims to Okerlund that he'd whip Steamboat "if you weren't holdin' me back!"

• GSR changed the title to [1994-07-23-WCW-Saturday Night] Steve Austin and Ricky Steamboat