Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-05-NJPW-G1 Climax] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Yoshiaki Yatsu

Loss

• 2 weeks later...

Just an old fashioned slugfest between two nasty dudes. Fujiwara is at his dickish cheapshotting best. Landing a sneaky headbutt after a knuckle lock, kidney shots in the corner, and slaps to the chops. Meanwhile Yatsu lands some big throws, and some of the nastier stomps I have seen in a while. There is an awesome nearfall, as Yatsu hits a couple of super brutal bulldogs, but as he goes for a third, Fujiwara slips out and locks in the Fujiwara armbar. I also really liked how after getting caught with a suplex for the pin, Fujiwara went right back to throwing blows. He didn't really give a shit he lost, he just wanted to take a chunk out of Yatsu's ass.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't get into this. They never really kicked it into the next gear. You got the feeling these guys weren't crazy about each other, but this doesn't really build heat. Even the things that I did enjoy like Yatsu's cheapshot when the referee was trying to restrain Fujiwara didn't get the reaction it should have. Felt like they missed the mark.

I was generally ducking the suggestions of Yatsu-Fujiwara love that Ditch made, since I was generally bored by these matches back in the day. It's a little too bad that the Final didn't make it. Not as a great match or anything, but it was Chono establishing himself as Mr. August, and as a comp to the Carny Final. Also, it's Chono right before the Blackjack Chono heel turn, and Sasaki at the near-end of his Hellraisers period right before transitioning into the singles push (he would main event the coming Dome show in January).

I was just waiting for Fujiwara to counter the running bulldog with a armbar. Best thing about this match was Fujiwara's random headbutt after the match. That had me laughing. Okay the best thing is Yatsu having the Back to the Future music as his theme. Another okay match with a random finish out of nowhere. G1 overall seems to be lacking in high quality matches.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Another solid match, but just that, with another fluky upset finish. I like this return of the spry, vigorous Yatsu, and one who heels it up at that. But this is an underwhelming G1, with all the upsets serving to make everyone look mediocre instead of making getting everybody over.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1994-08-05-NJPW-G1 Climax] Yoshiaki Fujiwara vs Yoshiaki Yatsu
  • 1 year later...