Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-15-WWF-Raw] Owen Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid

Loss

• 2 months later...

This wasn't as spectacular as the PPV match, but wrestling at that pace for 10+ minutes would have been hard to do, anyway. These guys were a good fit for each other, and it's a bummer that they didn't get a long PPV match against each other until 1998, when the 1-2-3 Kid was recovering from an injury, and both guys had lost a little bit in the four years since this.

I don't understand why they'd have Owen lose via DQ just before his shot at the championship. Even if they wanted to build up Neidhart as a threat on the outside, there was probably a better time to do it than right before a cage match.

• 2 weeks later...

Another very good match between these two. It's not as fast-paced as King of the Ring, but I think I like it about the same. Kid makes a good showing and the match has quite a bit of heat. I agree that doing the DQ finish when Owen is about to challenge for the title is a curious decision.

Playing off their King of the Ring match, The Kid is now ready for Owen’s pre match sneak attack attempt. Kid also gets his own slidding dropkick to the outside on Hart. It's a step below the King of the Ring match which is understandable as they can't match that pace. But we get a longer which is still pretty good. The DQ finish kind of ruins things as Neidhart ran in to interfere when Owen was in middle of ring in submission. Owen needed to go over here as challenger for WWF Title.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't get the finish either, but this might have been the best free-TV match of the year for the WWF. Not as balls-to-the-wall as KOTR but maybe more psychologically sound, between Owen's work over the back and the use of his enzuigiri. They also throw in an insane spot where Kid gets suplexed to the floor, with Owen going down with him. Good beatdown afterward, too--Owen, ever the heel, makes sure to yank on the ropes while he has the Sharpshooter applied. I approve.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-08-15-WWF-Raw] Owen Hart vs 1-2-3 Kid