Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-18-UWFi] Vader vs Nobuhiko Takada

Loss

• 2 months later...

Without a doubt the best Takada match I've seen on a yearbook. This is amazing. I strive to be specific when I can be talking about these matches, but in this case, it's difficult. My only observation is "Yeah, it's pretty great." This is the best UWFI match ever, right?

This is more like it for me with Vader involved. Really good match and one of the few of these match types that I am able to really enjoy. Takada unleashes a ton of kicks at Vader to get him down a few times. Loved the powerbomb by Vader but felt Takada got up a bit too easy at that point of the match when he had already taken a beating. I also like how much they put over the title with Thesz just being there involved.

Without a doubt the best Takada match I've seen on a yearbook. This is amazing. I strive to be specific when I can be talking about these matches, but in this case, it's difficult. My only observation is "Yeah, it's pretty great." This is the best UWFI match ever, right?

The most epic without a doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An epic battle and a match were Takada's superman tendencies work because he is matched up against such a huge monster in Vader that for the entirety of the match, every time he was on the ropes he regained the advantage whether it be impressive mat work, a short kidney punch, etc. Nothing was easily achieved until Vader gained the distinctive advantage. Vader winning felt like the biggest moment of his career and it really shows how Vader really has had two of the most distinctive victories for a heel or foreigner in wrestling (this and the Vader/Sting GAB 92 match being the other). Overall one of the better matches of the year.

• 1 year later...

No point system in play here, enabling these guys to go all-out with as many knockdowns, counts, and rope breaks as they want. Pretty epic fight in front of an absolutely nuclear crowd, probably the crowd of the year. Great teases of the cross armbreaker that Takada never quite gets to apply, having to stick to stand-up kicks to inflict his damage. But it's not enough, as Vader power bombs him through the canvas and while that probably should have been the actual finish, it at least serves as the de facto end for Takada. Lou Thesz awards Vader his original world title belt--ironic, as I'm pretty sure Thesz ended up disassociating himself from UWFI because of this result.

• 1 year later...

In the opening 5m they went at it hammer and tongs. In shoot style promotions there was a genuine possibility that a big main event could be over in a few minutes. It soon became apparent that the points system was not in effect. I've never seen so many down counts in one match. Takada's strategy was to ground the big man with kicks and then grab a submission hold. The vast majority of the time he was on the defensive however. Vader's powerful blows continually knocked the native down, but he kept getting back up. Never say die attitude. They went at it so hard it's amazing that Super Vader's stamina held up for someone of his size. Looks can be deceptive.

For nearly 20m it was a great spectacle with high drama, great heat and brutal stiffness. On the downside they certainly overdid the knockdowns, and there were odd moments where they weren't sure what to do next. Overall it deserves to be in the discussion for the greatest UWFI bouts. After the victory, Vader's boy joins him in the ring for some big post-fight celebrations.

• 9 months later...

#269 - placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-300-251/2/

Yeah, this was pretty great. I liked Vader throwing his weight around when they were on the mat. Around 17 minutes in, there is an amazing exchange of big kicks and a knee from Takada that leads to a monster punch from Vader. That may have been my favorite spot. This is my favorite Takada match that I've seen, but Takada/Sano from '94 sounds really interesting. I'll have to check that out if it's not on this countdown.

***I came back and watched this December of 2019 as I went through the 1994 YB.  I was even higher on it.  Definitely a MOTYC. 

This is the ultimate pro-wrestling shoot style match. It's all strike exchanges and knockout attempts with none of the beauty of shoot style matwork. I can understand liking it if you're super into Vader (pun intended) and it feels like he's shooting from the hip when he cuts his promos, but I don't think this would make my top 50 shoot style matches of all time. And I don't think it's on the same level as the top stuff from any of the shoot style promotions. Hell, I don't even like it as much as Kawada/Albright or Hashimoto/Fujiwara. And I actually enjoyed their 12/93 match more on this go-through of Loss' picks. So, in case you were still wondering -- not a fan.

• 10 months later...

I saw this match for the first time a decade ago while I was in high school and loved it. It was pretty much my introduction to shoot style wrestling and I think it holds up. One thing I've always loved about Vader's UWFi run is that he was still doing pro style moves but he's goddamn Vader so it works. I don't think that Takada ever had a better match than this and I say that as someone who loves the Battle Formation match with Hashimoto. He's really good on comebacks and there's a couple of instances where it looks like he's actually gonna go up 2-0 on Vader. I love the kind of deadlift powerbomb Vader drills him with towards the end and the finish itself is awesome. There are matches from UWFi that I think are probably 'better', but none of them come close to being as epic as this match. *****

• GSR changed the title to [1994-08-18-UWFi] Vader vs Nobuhiko Takada
  • 1 month later...

Easily, the best match of the trilogy and clearly Vader returns a little more well-versed in the shoot stylings. Much more aggressive with his strikes, with the big forearms and knees, and a better use of his power to keep Takada off his feet, not snapping off kicks. Takada's strategy is the same as before: chop the beast down and submit with the jujigatame. Sometimes he'll even throw Vader with a suplex but the end goal is the same. Vader doesn't stay down though and keeps popping him with shots. Loved when Takada finally levels him with kicks and goes for the armbar and Vader counters with a brutal palm thrust to the face. Also Vader grabbing him mid-strike to ragdoll him with the German suplex. Awesome. The fans are behind Takada but his comebacks aren't enough, and finally, Vader drops him with the deadlift powerbomb and continues the assault until Takada can't make the 10 count. Great match. 

• 4 months later...

Real World Heavyweight Champion Nobuhiko Takada vs Super Vader - UWFi 8/18/94

What if Goliath wins? 

Yngwie Fucking Malmsteen of all people is there to present Takada with the flowers. I did a little digging and I guess Malmsteen composed/plays Takada's theme. That has to rank as one of the most Japan things ever. Lou Thesz says that his Original World Championship is on the line. I think viewing this through a shoot style lens is pretty unfair. It is an old school pro wrestling in the sense that there are no Irish whips and rope running, but the idea was to present realistic pro wrestling as opposed to realistic fighting in my opinion. It is all a work anyways. I am choosing to watch this as if I am watching a New Japan match rather than get hung up on the fact that Vader ain't Volk Han out there. Interesting start as there is no shine. Takada is trying to avoid early, but gets caught in the corner with those rhythmic Vader forearms. Vader THROWS HIS ASS DOWN not once, but twice. Takada is starting in a hole. Takada goes after the legs and anytime he can he is trying to apply the cross-armbreaker, which had won him the match in December,. Takada is such a great valiant babyface in this match. This reminds me of a Puroresu version of Vader vs Sting from GAB '92. Sting & Takada get in their hope spots, but neither one has a chance when Vader is in this zone. I think they told a tremendous story of for every three Takada shots, one Vader shot could put Takada down. This is some of the best stand up you will ever see. It was hard hitting and dramatic. Vader was lighting Takada up with palm strikes and forearms. Takada's kneelifts were vicious. Of course, Takada caught him a couple times with that trademark kick combo where the left foot catches you right under the chin. Really strong stand-up. On the mat, I liked it. It was not Volk Han vs Kiyoshi Tamura. It was ugly but effective. Vader used his weight well and when ever he was in trouble he would just palm strike Takada in the face. Works for me! At one point, Takada got pissed about this and just start blasting Vader in the face. Takada never did get his cross-armbreaker applied. It really became a great stand up battle as the match worn on. Just a slobberknocker. The turning point was when Vader was getting rocked and he just grabbed a waistlock on Takada and hurled him in a wicked German suplex. Takada would get a few more hope spots, but they were few and far between. Vader just dominated from there on out with some massive forearms. That deadlift powerbomb as insane. I remember that as the finish, but Takada stood up. The finish was inevitable and eventually succumbed to the might of Vader. 

Goliath won with exactly what brought him to the dance, raw, unadulterated power and brute force. Vader really sold Takada's attacks well. His register is so good. He would take three heavy shots and then come back with a wild swipe and knock Takada's ass down. Takada would have to start from square one. I think Takada got enough "nearfalls" in his few knockdowns to make it dramatic, but Vader was on fire here, very much like GAB '92. So what happen when Goliath wins? Well David gets a rematch of course. ****3/4