Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-08-29-WWF-Summerslam] Alundra Blayze vs Bull Nakano

Loss

• 2 months later...

Seeing this in the context of the yearbook is interesting because obviously, this doesn't touch the best Bull matches of the year. But she does a really impressive job of adapting to the WWF style and works a good match in that style. I love how amazed the crowd is by her submissions.

I'm surprised Vince allowed Lawler to make all the ugly jokes about Alundra, considering the type of push she was getting at the time.

But she does a really impressive job of adapting to the WWF style and works a good match in that style.

Also worth noting that Madusa did spend 2+ years working AJW and did atleast 1 JWP tour too so that helped. For a lot of their singles matches they basicly just took your standard joshi big match formula and boiled it down to a cliff notes version removing a lot of the build, matwork, selling, etc.. due to having less time to work with.

Random fun fact, in late 90 Madusa was paired with Jungle Jack and would have been a big part of their feud vs Bull's gang but she bailed for WCW instead just as things were kicking off.

I'm surprised Vince allowed Lawler to make all the ugly jokes about Alundra

Fuzzy on the time line. Was this pre or post nose job?

I take it you noticed the boob job, though, Jerome...?

But, no, I guess this is OK, and enjoyable enough in the setting as something pretty rare. I don't see much differene in quality between this and the Big Egg match, though, aside from the Dome audience had much higher expectations of women's wrestling.

I take it you noticed the boob job, though, Jerome...?

You win, FLIK loses. That was the entire point of my post.;)

But, no, I guess this is OK, and enjoyable enough in the setting as something pretty rare. I don't see much differene in quality between this and the Big Egg match, though, aside from the Dome audience had much higher expectations of women's wrestling.

Yeah, from memory this is pretty much the same kind of match they had in the Egg Dome, and the Dome match looked medocre in this setting. And Bull had the Orient Express music. Damn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Really weird to see WWF in the United Center. Nakano did a great job interacting with the crowd to get them invested and mixed in enough new spots to the viewing audience. Overall, probably the best WWF women's match in the 90's which admittedly is not saying much.

• 3 months later...

Was the WWF Woman's Division anything at this point

Not really, the entire thing basically consisted of Alundra & who ever they wanted to program her against. Bull & Luna were the only other ones they really focused on, then later Bertha Faye. They'd use a few other random girls like Lei Lani Kai & Heidi Lei Morgan but that was mostly just so Blaze would have an opponent that night on the house show tour.

• 1 year later...

Obviously not any kind of joshi classic but by WWF women's standards, very good. Bull was pretty much a perfect major opponent for Alundra--she had familiarity with Madusa, she had a fantastic unique look, she fit in with Luna looks and personality-wise, and she had a wide array of "wow" moves like busting out the scorpion crosslock here, which gets a great reaction. And she was seemingly out of things to do in Japan besides work various interpromotional bouts, so it didn't feel like the WWF was poaching talent. As someone who always considered the women (even the Bomb Angels) to be FF material as a kid, Bull made an immediate impression on me. Fun to revisit this now that I view Bull as a Japan-based worker more than a gaijin guest-starring in the U.S.

• 1 year later...

At least the WWF had a women's division for the first time in the 90's, even if it wasn't much. This was a very straightforward match. (Yeah I edited that sentence from my paper review). Not one to put in a Bull Nakano top 50 matches list, but they produced the calibre of contest to impress the fans whilst remaining suitable to its card placement.

• 1 year later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1994-08-29-WWF-Summerslam] Alundra Blayze vs Bull Nakano