Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-09-18-WCW-Fall Brawl] Steve Austin and Jim Duggan

Loss

• 2 months later...

Just wow. Austin gets awarded the U.S. Title as Steamboat can no longer wrestle. But there is an opponent for Austin and it is Jim Duggan. He beats Austin in seconds with pretty much a back body drop. Duggan does a promo afterward putting over Hogan. Was Steamboat seriously still trying to come back from this injury? Didn't seem like he was saying goodbye.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Gotta love how when Duggan blows Hogan on interview he gets booed. Roanoke, Virginia baby, horsemen country. Hogan's name already got booed earlier when Gene said he would interview him.

But yeah. Austin is actually pretty great, both in his promo when he gets the belt, and selling Duggan's intro and win. But it's just fucking ridiculous. Can't market a guy in black boots and trunks, eh, Bischoff ? Good thing I wasn't watching WCW back then, I would have thrown something into my TV set.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

As the match lasted 0:35 I decided to come up with 35 words to best describe it:

Disgusting, revolting, sickening, nauseating, crap, asinine, retarded, bollocks, junk, bullshit, ridiculous, pathetic, rubbish, stupid, damaging, insulting, putrid, awful, horrific, hideous, offensive, vile, disgraceful, repulsive, appalling, shameful, unforgivable, rotten, detestable, shit, wretched, deplorable, abject, destructive, WCW.

• 3 months later...

Apparently Ricky busted his ass as hard as he could to try to get into wrestling shape, if even just once more, so that he could put Austin over in the ring instead of handing him the title. Tragically for all of us he failed, leading to this shit show. WCW had remained rather hot after the arrival of Hogan, which was remarkably easy to swallow because of a good first-night performance and the fact that he was more or less isolated from the rest of the company. But now we see the creeping influence of Hulk start to take over everything else, and the whole product is going to be worse for it. Two loyal, hard-working WCW employees royally fucked over so far. Austin is really great in this, at least until Hacksaw shows up. The same fans so upset over the loss of Cactus Jack are losing their shit over this doofus, so any goodwill they had with me is out the window. Fuck you, Roanoke.

• 2 years later...

This is just pure shit. I don't know who else they could have put in this place but Duggan was certainly not the answer.

Pillman? Could have been a nice wrap around for the feud they never got to properly hash out, plus as far as I can tell he wasn't busy or anything.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-09-18-WCW-Fall Brawl] Steve Austin and Jim Duggan
  • 1 year later...

Austin was great in this segment, mock crying at Steamboat as he's forced to give up the belt. Duggan then is announced as Austin's opponent and Duggan wins in literal seconds. Ugh. This has to be one of the first signs that WCW is about to become a playground for Hogan and his mates.