The Beginner's Guide To British Wrestling

• Please log in to reply
431 replies to this topic

#421 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

Forgot to mention the finish to the Singh/Casey bout, which was referee Jeff Kaye taking a bump to the outside and selling it like he'd knocked himself out. The second ref Dave Rees refused to take over the contest and the bout was ruled a no-contest. No idea why they booked that finish. 

#422 Ryan Faulconer

Ryan Faulconer
  • Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:56 AM

Is there a backstory explaining Bubblegum's name?  I don't think it has any other meanings here in Canada outside of the obvious.  I'm not hip to the lingo that the young(er) people use anymore.  I'm also behind on news and after weeks of watching iCW/NGW/RPW/Progress/IPWUK/etc I didn't know about Kris Travis passing away.  Ugh. That is too young to lose someone.

We have a free preview of the Fight Network on my cable system recently.  I now get eight different wrestling promotions on the channel alone.  Watching CMLL/AAA/NJPW with english commentary is a little jarring after fifteen or so years of tape and DVD buying and trading.  I've also seen NGW and ICW episodes over the last few weeks.  I'm getting used to the size of the rings now.  I'm pretty sure they are recent episodes of Insane Championship Wrestling and British Wrestling Weekly.  I would prefer Progress or RPW and I'll probably signup for their streaming channels once I can figure out which component I'll use to hook up to the TV.  I don't think I can watch streaming channels on my PS3 web browser.

I saw the preview for the WCPW group last week.  After seeing the staff and shields that Progress used for belts I was really expecting WCPW to use the cardboard belt.  If they end up PWGesque with actual storylines I'll probably add them to the list of watchable youtube wrestling each week.

#423 JNLister

JNLister
  • Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 12 July 2016 - 04:45 AM

Bubblegum's name came way back when he started out as a fresh-faced, lovable, wholesome youngster, at which point the name was along the lines of bubblegum pop - favourite of the kids and mums, and all that.

For Progress, Rev Pro and anything else that uses Pivotshare, Roku works perfectly and seems to be the only platform that does so.

#424 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 17 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

THE ARTHUR PSYCHO HOUR

Ep 57

Haven't done one of these in a while.

Billy Joe Beck vs. Ringo Rigby (11/20/84)

Rigby was never that great after returning from the States, but this was a solid enough television debut for Beck. It's a "Waltonism" if ever there was one, but he called Beck a "boy" despite the wrestler being grey and middle-aged. Beck was from Belfast but his style didn't really resemble FInlay or Moran unfortunately. 

Mel Stuart vs. Caswell Martin (1/9/79)

Stuart was a seventh rate Dick Murdoch in his prime and he was already past his best here. You know you're on the slide when you're tinkering with your gimmick and here he was trying to do some "Pretty Boy" character that was going nowhere fast. Martin made this watchable but Walton had a bee in his bonnet about how Martin was giving Stuart too much "leeway" and would just not let it go. All-time great he may be, but he could sure be irritating at times and didn't he have his moods?

Crusher Brannigan vs. Giant Haystacks (9/1/83)

Wrestling Haystacks was an exercise in futility. Brannigan was a loud American heel who was the latest to suffer the indignity. I can't say he put much effort into it, but he did gig which was banned on TV so I guess he thought he'd make it colourful.

Caswell Martin vs. Giant Haystacks (1/25/84)

One of the dumber things about Dale Martin & Joint Promotions is that they'd fed Haystacks quality wrestlers like Caswell Martin, Marty Jones or Johnny Wilson for no good reason. And it's not like they get a fall against him or look like they have any chance of scoring an upset. They just get squashed, which is stupid. And they wonder why wrestling's popularity slipped.

Steve Logan vs. Tiger Dalbir Singh (5/21/86)

This was a good match, especially the first few rounds where the local lad Logan was looking to score the upset. Singh eventually took over and slowed the pace a bit, but he finished Logan off with some cool leg submission work instead of a bullshit injury finish or some other generic shit. Lacked a bit of meat in the middle but clearly the match of the day. 

Eddie Riley vs. Alan Gregg (6/8/88)

Riley was one of the smallest men in the history of World of Sport and this was a quick "little" match against a newcomer to television. Mostly just falls. Inoffensive. 

#425 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10262 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 08:22 AM

Did people know about this channel?

https://www.youtube....ew=0&shelf_id=0

I don't think it's a lot that's not already up (OJ?) but it's in one part instead of 3 and maybe better VQ? Could be a promise of more though.

#426 NintendoLogic

NintendoLogic

Grim and frostbitten

• Members
  • 2735 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 09:41 PM

I just found out what "seconds away, round X" means. I thought the ring announcer was letting the audience know that the beginning of the round was only seconds away, but he was actually instructing the ringside seconds to leave the ring. That's from boxing, right?

#427 Al

Al

Because a wrestling avatar seemed appropriate

• Members
  • 2932 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 04:56 PM

I can't say for certain, but modern boxing does utilize a warning buzzer for that purpose.

#428 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10262 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

I just found out what "seconds away, round X" means. I thought the ring announcer was letting the audience know that the beginning of the round was only seconds away, but he was actually instructing the ringside seconds to leave the ring. That's from boxing, right?

JR is a lot better at doing podcasts than I am but we were thinking of doing a big British Wrestling project and calling it "Seconds Away" at some point (after WoS was so underrepresented in GWE). I just have too much going on all the time, unfortunately. 

#429 JNLister

JNLister
  • Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Hope nobody minds a cheeky plug, but I've now added all the YouTube videos I could find to the match listings on itvwrestling.co.uk. They go back to 1970, though as you'd expect, the later years are closer to complete.

I should stress that I've simply embedded the videos and they aren't actually hosted on my site -- 99% of them have been uploaded by other people.

If anyone spots a video that's been deleted, or one that's not the listed match, please do let me know. I've tried to match them up as best as I could, and can probably now recognise most of the venues at a glance!

#430 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

Can anyone confirm the date of this match? I've seen it listed on YouTube as 12/6/80 but that's not on the listings.

Could it be December 19th 1981 (Oldham, taped 18/11/81)?

#431 JNLister

JNLister
  • Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:42 AM

It's December 13th 1980 (Walthamstow, taped 26/11/80).

#432 peachchaos

peachchaos
  • Members
  • 1003 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:46 PM

Gracias.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users