431 replies to this topic

#41 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Fit Finlay vs Chris Adams 10/17/1981

Shockingly this ruled ;)
Clean shaven 23 yr old skinny Finlay is still a mean old bastard. Walton says this is his first time making tv and he makes quite the first impression. He cheats his way into having the crowd ready to kill within a few rounds but also wrestles well enough to have Walton marking out, hoping to see more of him and comparing him to a young Dynamite Kid. Adams is right thear along with him going blow for blow. Loved the segment whear they're on their knees just sluging it out.

I remember liking that Kendo Nagasaki/Wayne Bridges match and Bridges is one of the WoS guys I dislike the most along with Mal Sanders and John fucking Naylor. I take it you haven't watched the Nagasaki/Myers match or any of the Screen Sport stuff?

Hm, what don't you like about Naylor? I've only seen 3 or 4 matches of his but 2 of them are in my best bouts list to he's OK in my book.

Haven't seen Nagasaki/Myers, I think I may have seen some Screen Sport but i'm not 100% on that. Looking it up real quick it seems to be All Star stuff from the late 80's and if that's what you're referring to then yeah i've seen a bit.

What are you guys thoughts on Zoltan Boscik? He's one of the guys I took an early liking to and tracked down as much as I could from him which sadly isn't much.
In the early to mid 70's he looks like someone who'd be a GOAT contender if their was more footage available but then once you get into the later parts of his career by the 80's he's reduced to playing gaga heel, with a lot of signature comedy bumps and routine spots.....like a British Ric Flair...

#42 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:21 PM

Early Finlay is awesome. I mentioned the other day that he was a better Dynamite Kid than Dynamite Kid but perhaps I stole that subconsciously from Walton. Everything about John Naylor annoys me. I can't explain it. Boscik always winds up disappointing me. I watched a Rocco/Cullen match from Screen Sport yesterday that was completely different from the traditional WoS freestyle style and it sucked like the majority of Rocco's work. All that Screen Sport/ASW stuff is an abomination.

#43 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:55 PM

Added -- Steve Grey vs. John Naylor (4/10/75) I'm not sure whether I'm made this clear or not, but I hate John Naylor. This match, however, was too good to leave off as Grey was an excellent catchweight match-up for just about anybody including Naylor. Some really good wrestling in this bout. I'll have to watch their other match again and see if it was my prejudice against Naylor that caused me to dislike it. Didn't like the Naylor/Rickard match, but thought Saint/Hassouni was fun. I'm not a fan of Johnny Saint's style of wrestling but the match had a good Cup Final Day atmosphere.

#44 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 09:00 AM

Added -- Jon Cortez vs. Steve Grey (7/27/81) This was awesome. It was everything you'd expect from Grey vs. Cortez with the added bonus of being extremely heated. Grey was British Lightweight champion at the time and Cortez European Lightweight champion, and the winner was due to get a shot at Johnny Saint's World Lightweight title so the bout was super competitive. Cortez wound up playing the subtle heel and Grey got testy as well, particularly when Cortez attacked after the bell. Later on, Grey threw a forearm smash which Cortez was unhappy about and this built until an injury finish that actually worked. Cortez claimed it as a KO victory and got some nice heel heat for doing so (usually the faces turn down the win in this situation and the match is ruled a no contest.) Really great stuff this. One of the best World of Sport matches I've seen

#45 Big Rob

Big Rob
  • Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Are there any bloodbaths?

No true bloodbaths, no. Given how they sold things, if someone donned a Ric Flair lvl crimson mask the match would imediatly be stoped, multiple ambulances called, the heel who busted him open would be murdered by the angry mob of fans and the guy who got busted open would be out for months :)

Chris Colt got banned from wrestling on British TV after being deemed too violent by ITV. I believe there was meant to have been a fair amount of blood in that match, but it was never broadcast.

#46 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Out of curiosity, anyone have any info on Jumping Jim Hussey?
Google search doesn't really tell me much except that he's Roller Ball Rocco's dad and that he was Kendo Nagasaki's opponent in his first match.

* EDIT *

And this awesome pic

http://www.britishwr...hotoid=12266488

#47 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

Watched one of Flik's choices: John Naylor vs. Zoltan Boscik (8/15/74) This was really good for two guys who always annoy the shit out of me. Probably the first time Boscik has looked like the European mat wizard he's meant to be. His work wasn't completely smooth, nor completely original for that matter, but it was tricked out in the way only lovers of World of Sport will ever truly appreciate and I probably would've added this to my list if Naylor hadn't won so easily against the run of play.

#48 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

Just a heads up to UK posters, just stumbled on this browsing BBC iplayer:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...s_and_Grannies/

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rammes/b01p96ly

I haven't watched it yet but looks like it will chiefly be about World of Sport and McManus is named alongside Big Daddy, Adrian Street and Giant Haystacks as some of the guys they'll be looking at.

Will see about trying to find this for our State-side brethren to watch. Not too many documentaries abut British wrestling.

#49 JNLister

JNLister
  • Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

It's on Youtube (without regional restrictions) now: . Highly recommended.

#50 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

The doco was fairly good. There wasn't much in it for the hardcores aside from the new footage, but I liked the women's reactions to Klyondyke Kate, the weird medium/adviser/spokeswoman for Kendo Nagasaki and the Johnny Kincaid poem. I also want to see Steve Logan vs. Masambula as much as Pallo/McManus.

#51 Ricky Jackson

Ricky Jackson

The Only 5 Time Champion

• Members
  • 2792 posts
  • Interests:Wrestling, music, comics, beer, movies, history, sports...good manly stuff.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:00 AM

I had no idea Nagasaki's career story was so interesting until I watched the doc.

#52 Bix

Bix
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 6253 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Having not watched this yet, is Kendo's medium that weirdo who runs his website?

#53 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:57 AM

Yeah, Atlantis Chronos Goth I think she calls herself.

#54 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

I liked the doc a lot for what it was. I don't know why I was surprised it wasn't more general, but for a narrative heavy doc that didn't even really focus on the guys I liked the most/are the most interested in I thought it was extremely enjoyable. The McManus/Pallo footage looked really sharp and I for one loved the Nagasaki stuff. Dave and I cover it (along with all other things Brit wrestling) on the latest episode of Wrestling Culture for those who are interested.

#55 rovert

rovert
  • Banned
  • 2903 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Regal had more issues than anyone with it seems (read bottom to top):

Posted Image

Posted Image

#56 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

I was upset about the lack of Breaks and Saint, but what are you gonna do with a character driven doc?

#57 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Been a really annoying week for me in which I've got to watch nothing wrestling related at all save for the 24/7 roundtable. So I've still not seen this, but did it shed any further light / bring anything new to bare on the old "Big Daddy for the HoF" debate?

#58 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

No, it didn't shed any light on Big Daddy. It was a digest version look at the history of British wrestling not some 18 1/2 hour Ken Burns epic. There was some footage of Rocco, but it was one of those documentaries where they give generalised answers for everything (such as the decline in popularity) and you accept it because it's a doco and not meant to be a thesis on the subject.

#59 FLIK

FLIK
  • Members
  • 1706 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:32 AM

Only minor complaint I had with the doc was they didn't mention the formation/existence of All Star & approached things from the persepctive that Joint was the only game in town from start to finish. Other then that it was great stuff.

#60 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:21 AM

I think from the documentary makers point of view that would have confused the narrative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users