Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-10-22-SMW-TV] Dirty White Boy vs Bruiser Bedlam / Bruiser Bedlam, Jim Cornette and Ron Wright

Loss

• 2 months later...

Last few minutes of Bedlam versus Dirty White Boy. It hasn’t been the same for White Boy since Roberts left. Cornette gets involved but Ron Wright is more clever and nails Bedlam with a weapon. Bedlam gets whipped by DWB five times per match stipulations. Now it’s Cornette’s turn to get whipped. However Bedlam stops it from happening and him and Cornette beat down on DWB and Ron Wright. Cornette puts a whipping on Ron Wright. Short DWG promo but Wright who has to sit down on the table to brace himself cuts a fired promo. He isn’t even looking at the main camera but that just adds to it. He wants Cornette bad.

Joined in progress. SMW was interesting at this point because the babyfaces were the workhorses and the guys with experience, while many of the top heels were green. Cornette tries interfering, but it backfires, as Ron Wright does the same.

As a result of the pre-match stipulation, Bedlam and Cornette both have to take five lashes. Bedlam gets handcuffed to the corner and takes his lashes. I knew somehow Cornette would get out of taking the lashes, and sure enough, Bedlam ends up blindsiding him and Cornette throws powder in DWB's face. I realize it's an angle, but Ron Wright taking the shots is type of bait-and-switch thing that I hate in my wrestling. Cornette should have taken his shots, even though this was a great segment otherwise.

DWB and Wright vow revenge.

• 3 weeks later...

The finish of DWB vs. Bruiser Bedlam is shown here. DWB wins with help from Ron Wright so now Bedlam and Cornette each must get lashed five times. Bedlam gets lashed but Cornette escapes thanks to Bedlam and assaults DWB, Ron Wright, and Mark Curtis. Cornette whips Ron Wright with the lash. DWB and Ron Wright cut great promos wanting revenge. Great stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I would love a good Cornette vs DWB feud, but you have to plug some serious worker with him instead of the worthless, heatless, talentless Johnny K-9. Cornette is gonna have matches with Ron Wright now ? I don't want to sound mean, but this is seriously looking like a retirement home promotion now, after all those Bob Armstrong matches...

• 1 year later...

Bedlam is a big, slow lummox but White Boy carries him to something watchable, at least from the clips we see. Ron Wright clobbers Bedlam with a blackjack in a well-done finish and DWB scores the pin, forcing Bedlam and Cornette to take 5 lashes apiece. Bedlam is handcuffed and takes his five whips, but they stupidly only have one pair of handcuffs and you can see where this is going as soon as Bedlam as freed. The angle is terrific, though, as DWB ends up cuffed and Ron Wright gets laid out and whipped. DWB and Wright cut incensed promos promising hellfire and brimstone and I half-expect Wright to crawl through my monitor and give me what-for, he's that worked up. Somehow Cornette has compelled me to care about seeing another Bruiser Bedlam match, even if he's pretty ancillary to everything that took place.

• 1 year later...

Prior to the 'whipping match' commencing the Dirty White Boy introduces his surprise for Jim Cornette, Mr. Ron Wright! Cornette trips the White Boy and Wright makes his way round the ring after him. Cornette gets up on the apron to try and get away from him, but Mark Curtis is over to try and get him back down. Bedlam goes to the fallen White Boy, but with Curtis distracted Wright pulls a foreign object out his pocket. He nails the Bruiser in the head with it knocking him out and allowing the White Boy to get the pin. As per the pre-match stipulations they handcuff Bedlam to the turnbuckles and he takes his five lashes, however they only have one pair of handcuffs (I wonder what’s going to happen here?). The Bruiser is released, but before they can put the cuffs on Cornette he attacks Ron Wright. The White Boy forgets about Cornette and goes after Bedlam, but all this does is give Cornette the chance to pull out some powder which he then throws in the White Boy’s face temporarily blinding him. Superman Cornette puts the boots to the Dirty White Boy before decking Mark Curtis and taking the handcuffs from him. Bedlam cuffs Anthony to the bottom rope and then Cornette starts on Wright. He takes the strap and proceeds to repeatedly whip him with it until Tracey Smothers, Brian Lee and Lance Storm come out for the save.

Post match promos and the Dirty White Boy says that Ron Wright is like a father to him and Jim Cornette messed up when he put his hands on him. Ron says that he may not be able to wrestle these top names anymore, but he’s going to get Jim Cornette in a match somehow. Even if the Dirty White Boy has to roll him out there in a wheelchair he’s going to take his head off and he’ll be taking a trip to the hospital!

About as good as you’ll get from a match involving Bruiser Bedlam. The Dirty White Boy was real good here making it more than watchable, especially on his comeback stretch, but the Bruiser is still terrible. The match was kept short enough that it didn’t drag, and I liked the ending of Cornette getting his comeuppance after being outsmarted by Wright. The post-match angle was great, but Cornette booked himself way too strong here and while I knew it was coming, the fact that he avoided being strapped himself is a further example of him not adhering to stipulations. It’s always nice to see Ron Wright and we get excellent promos from him and the White Boy who finally has a bit more focus after seemingly treading water since the Jake Roberts feud.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-10-22-SMW-TV] Dirty White Boy vs Bruiser Bedlam / Bruiser Bedlam, Jim Cornette and Ron Wright