Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-10-29-SMW-TV] Interview: Dirty White Boy & Ron Wright / Interview: Bob Armstrong / Cactus Jack and Boo Bradley / Interview: Jim Cornette and Bruiser Bedlam

Loss

• 2 months later...

Tag match has been set with Dirty White Boy & Ron Wright vs Brusier Bedlam & Cornette at Thanksgiving Thunder. Ron is looking forward to this match. He is not going to eat any turket but feast on Cornette instead.

Video of Abdullah the Butcher with Taz’ music. Clips of him in violent brawls. Cornette is bringing Abdullah in to battle Bob Armstrong. The Bullet seems to be caught off guard with having to face the Butcher as he wasn’t expecting him to be the opponent. Armstrong uses the thought of having Cornette kissing his feet as his inspiration to winning the match.

Boo Bradley and Cactus Jack on confrontation with Jim Ross. Cactus seeks to know more about how Tammy and Chris treat Boo Bradley. He lives in a dog house currently and gets $6. I don’t know. I think that’s a lot of money back in 1994. Chris is his friend though and he can’t be friends with both. Cactus wants them to ditch Chris and Tammy and join up with him and go be tag partners. Tammy comes out, whispers something to Bradley and Boo immediately attacks Cactus with the chain. They brawl for a little bit using a steel bench also. Lance Storm has been relegated to just breaking up these brawls now.

Cornette runs down Ron Wright. When he was at school they didn’t have history. If he acted his age, he would die. Jimmy is ready to send Wright back to the retirement home without his hip implant. Ross wants Cornette to rethink Abdullah since he can’t be controlled. Money and food gets the job done. They put over The Butcher as being someone that cannot be beat. At Thanksiving Thunder, Cornette will destroy two legends.

DWB and Ron Wright are dyin' to get their hands on Jim Cornette! Ron Wright tells Jim Cornette EXACTLY what he intends to do to him, and I love it!

Next, we get a video of Abdullah to "War Machine" narrated by Jim Ross, and this is awesomeawesomeawesome. Bob Armstrong does an awesome promo to put him over as a tough challenger while still showing his own confidence.

Next is "Confrontation", hosted by Jim Ross, with Cactus Jack and Boo Bradley. Cactus is here to make things right. Tammy is upset and whispers in his ear what will happen if he talks to anyone other than her, which prompts Boo to attack Cactus. We'd later find out Boots the Cat was being used for ransom.

Finally, Cornette and Bedlam are out for an interview. Great Cornette promo.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

So, we get a great Abbby video with War Machine, which in retrospect always looks funny when Taz isn't around.

We get a great promo from Ron Wright and a great promo from Cornette, who seems refreshed a bit after months of boring union stuff. Why is Bruiser Bedlam still on my TV though ?

We get a fun angle with Cactus Jack trying to lure Boo Bradley away from his abusing "friends", and Tammy in a ridiculously hot dress. The Cactus promo after the brawl is excellent too and reminds everyone that Cac is a dangerous psycho. Yeah, Lance Storm looks boring even breaking up a fight. Brian Lee has got the ECW Brian Lee look at this point, after his post Underfaker comeback. I had no idea he showed up again in SMW, but he's not sold as anything real special now, which is a bit odd considering he's been one of the three biggest names for the first two years and a half.

• 1 year later...

It's the Dirty White Boy & Ron Wright against Bruiser Bedlam & Jim Cornette at Thanksgiving Thunder. This has to be Wright's first match in years if not decades, and it'd have a bit more impact if Cornette hadn't spent the past 2 years feuding with another nostalgia act in Bob Armstrong. Nonetheless, I could listen to Wright's rap all day. With the Stud Stable feud having seen its best days and the USWA sliding after a hot autumn, SMW is our last outlet left for good old-fashioned southern-fried hate.

Cornette has revealed his mystery man in the match for Armstrong's commissionership: Abdullah the Butcher! A music video to "War Machine" by Kiss follows, and we get to see Abby eat a bug and bloody up Carlos Colon, as Ross narrates how Abby is too wild and dangerous for the WWF and WCW. Great little piece of business, and I would be very intrigued to see how Cornette would have gotten out of this. It's all for naught however, as Abby would end up skipping the event. I get the roster was thinning badly, but Cornette having to wrestle *and* be in a big stipulation embarrassment match on one card is overkill.

CONFRONTATION with Cactus Jack and Boo Bradley, who looks startlingly like 2000-era Commissioner Foley. Candido and Tammy have upgraded Boo from a box in the alley all the way up to a doghouse with a hole in the roof, earning $6 every so often because Boo's too dumb to handle any more money. Cactus offers to show Boo another way, but Boo still wants to be Candido's friend. Tammy comes out and whispers something in Boo's ear that sets him off, and a good brawl erupts that leaves Cactus in a heap. Lance Storm is STILL kicking around--apparently he and Brian Lee are designated babyface savers because that's all they seem to do anymore. God help me...I shouldn't have liked this, but I did. Boo is a silly, tired, been-there-done-that gimmick not really played great, but is freaking Hoffman in Rain Man compared to Evad Sullivan, and the brawl was pretty good, and I admit Boo's sudden punch to Jack caught me by surprise. Glad to see a positive response to this one--I get how most people feel about "special people" angles and thought maybe there'd be auto-backlash to this one, but ultimately Boo comes off as legitimately dangerous, which helps a lot.

Cornette is out and dipping into the Jerry Lawler jokebook about Ron Wright's age. I think they were setting up Abby going nuts and costing himself the match, judging by the promo here. They've sent the Bodies off and are now trying to end the Cornette-Armstrong feud once and for all, which can't help but lead you to think, "Okay...then what?"

• 1 year later...

Tony Anthony & Ron Wright have talked to the Commissioners and the Board of Directors, and at Thanksgiving Thunder the two of them will be facing Bruiser Bedlam and Jim Cornette in a tag team match. The Dirty White Boy says it will be an honor to team with Ron and he promises to take care of the Bruiser and will leave Jim Cornette all to him. Ron says that he’s never looked forward to anything as much as he is this match that is coming up. He calls Cornette a droopy dawed, puny looking, pus bellied, potato muscled idiot and tells him that when he gets through with him his own momma isn’t going to be able to recognize him. He’s going to rub Cornette’s nose in the mat, break his face and they’ll be carrying him out of there an ambulance! He and the Dirty White Boy will walk out of that match two happy men, you can take that to the bank!

I’ve missed fired up Ron Wright promos but not too sure I want to be seeing him wrestle. He’s not looked good at all (bar throwing a mean looking punch) on the few occasions he’s had to do anything physical, and I would rather have a singles match between the White Boy and Bedlam, where Wright gets to strap Cornette if the White Boy wins.

Bob Armstrong will be facing Abdullah the Butcher at Thanksgiving Thunder, but before we get some comments from The Bullet they’ve got a video package of Abdullah. Set to War Machine by KISS (the same music they used for The Nightstalker on his music video) we get plenty of clips of Abby in Puerto Rico bloodying up jobbers, facing the likes of Carlos Colon and Bruiser Brody and a pretty grim looking clip of him getting his scarred forehead stitched up. Jim Ross narrates over it and says how the Butcher has not been pinned in the United States in over ten years and how the likes of the WWF and WCW won’t touch him. Armstrong never dreamed Cornette would get Abdullah the Butcher. He’s had a good run, has beaten everyone Cornette’s bought in and thought he could do it all. What do you do though with a man that weighs 450lbs and is a raging bull from the Sudan? The only thing that is keeping him going is knowing that should he get past the Butcher, Jim Cornette has got to crawl across the ring, and in front of thousands of people kiss his feet! Cornette will be the biggest Thanksgiving Turkey of all and having him kiss his feet is worth more to him than a million dollars!

A very effective piece for getting Abby over as this deranged and crazy madman, although Bob seems far too excited about the prospect of having Cornette kiss his feet!

• GSR changed the title to [1994-10-29-SMW-TV] Interview: Dirty White Boy & Ron Wright / Interview: Bob Armstrong / Cactus Jack and Boo Bradley / Interview: Jim Cornette and Bruiser Bedlam