Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-11-07-WWF-Raw] Vince McMahon announcement / King's Court: 1-2-3 Kid

Loss

• 2 months later...

Vince mentions Randy Savage was unable to come to contract terms with WWF which is why he is not out with him announcing. Amazing that they would actually acknowledge this on TV. Vince seems to be quite pained in making this announcement. Lawler introduces The Kid as the walking pimple for the King's Court. Cue Lawler one liners. They announce The Kid vs. Backlund for next week. Mr. Backlund charges down to the ring. I love how he just appears out of nowhere. Entrance music and video is not going to shock people. Bob takes some of The Kid's kicks which was fun.

First, Vince wishes Randy Savage well in the future. Classy move, and not something you see every day, which tells me it hit Vince harder personally to lose Savage than it did to lose Hogan.

1-2-3 Kid is Lawler's guest again, I guess because the first time they did a segment before a match, it was so great. Backlund tries a sneak attack, but Kid is waiting on him and runs him out of the ring. Bret is out quickly to side with Kid, while Owen comes out to side with Backlund. Everyone is at ringside before you know it.

• 3 weeks later...

Vince says goodbye and thanks Randy Savage as he announces the Macho Man's departure from WWF. That was a really classy thing to do. 1-2-3 Kid is the guest on Lawler's segment and it's not all that interesting. Backlund is facing Kid the next week so he comes out after him but Kid sees him and fights him out of the ring. Bret, Owen, Anvil, and Davey Boy all show up within minutes as the chaos ensues.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got through watching all the 93/94 Raw episodes on Network. I really got to enjoy the McMahon/Savage partnership on commentary and you could totally tell Vince really enjoyed being with Randy. They were fun to listen to. The final show Randy did though was interesting. Multiple times on commentary he said he was tired of sitting in this chair. He obviously still wanted to be wrestling.

Vince actually seems like he's having legitimate trouble getting through this. I can see both guys' views in this situation--Savage's second go-round as champ was a box office bomb, whether it was his fault or not. That said, shunting him off into the Bruno Sammartino commentator-who-occasionally-wrestles role was overkill on Vince's part.

1-2-3 Kid is only slightly better here than he was the first time around, but quickly Mr. Backlund is out before this goes too far. Bret comes out to ANOTHER tepid reaction.

My theory is that Vince thinking Hogan and Savage had nothing left prematurely is probably what he sees as one of his biggest flubs, since those guys did big business in WCW and definitely still had something in the tank. I think this is why Vince has a tendency now to run with a pat hand way too long.

According to legend, Jerry Jarrett told Vince that Hogan and Savage may get hot in WCW since they were in a new environment and were so featured on TV but Vince refused to believe it, saying both of them were way too old.

Vince wouldn't be Vince without some degree of blind optimism, but I wonder how he was able to reconcile that with the fact that Bob Backlund was his #1 heel, King Kong Bundy was getting heavily pushed, and he'd made Sgt. Slaughter into a main eventer shortly before. All three of those guys were older and appeared far, far more washed-up than the MegaPowers.

To be fair, I think if they had stuck around Vince would be accused of just sticking with the same old guys on top. You can't exactly move Hulk Hogan to the midcard. Somehow he did it with Savage, but a lot of that would be attributed to Hogan not being around because they worked so well together. And guys like Bret and Shawn would be much more compelled to leave. In the bizzaro-world scenario where that happens, WCW could really have set themselves apart from WWF by saying that they were the new generation while Vince was old hat.

• 5 months later...

I don't see any way they could have kept Hogan and got him hot again in the WWF. I don't think a heel turn in WWF would have worked nearly as well as it did in WCW, and although he helped WCW's business a lot, his shelf life as a babyface there was really short and he didn't get things HOT until he turned.

As far as this farewell to Randy, I'm kind of blown away by it really. This has to be the only guy who got talked about this way when they left AND left to sign with WCW. It kind of makes the whole "Vince hates Randy" thing even more baffling to me.

The best thing for Hogan's heel turn were those two years of difficulty WCW had trying to convert their core audience to Hulkamaniacs. If he did stay with WWF and they tried the same thing around this time, it would have just looked desperate. It didn't even make a whole lot of sense for him to come back to them in 2002 as a member of the NWO, considering how quickly they turned him back.

The latest WWE doc on Randy kind of sets the record straight (that they didn't get Vince to participate to set things right doesn't make it complete, but I'm sure he has his reasons) as to why he left, and more interestingly why he never came back. He wasn't unhappy with what he was doing in the broadcast booth and elsewhere (they talk a lot about the charity work he did, and how he seemed to give it 100%), but he really wanted to work a program with Shawn Michaels but they were in that "new generation" frame of mind, so that was nixed.

And it would seem from watching it that he was personally offended by the "Nacho Man" skits, especially as it touched on Elizabeth in more than few of those segments, which I could hardly blame him for being that way. On the other hand, I can see how it might have not felt as personal to Hogan, I could see him as almost expecting some sort of backlash from Vince. But I think Randy felt truly betrayed by that, which isn't too hard to see given how heartfelt Vince seemed on this night.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-11-07-WWF-Raw] Vince McMahon announcement / King's Court: 1-2-3 Kid