Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-11-20-AJW-Big Egg Universe] Dynamite Kansai vs Kyoko Inoue

Loss

• 2 months later...

Giant swing on the ramp. Well that was different. If she lost balance could have had a nasty spill. With the tournament they are working through the match faster compared to other stuff I’ve seen from yearbook. Nice finish that didn’t have the reverse move finish seen too much with Mysterio. First time I have seen the Crucifix Bomb hit off the top. Felt similar to the last match in that it was good but they are conserving a bit with it being a tournament. I also find myself appreciating Joshi tag matches a lot more than singles.

Felt similar to the last match in that it was good but they are conserving a bit with it being a tournament.

Not sure I really get this talking point you've brought up. Aja/Toyota & Kansai/Kyoko were both pretty long matches, 17 or 18 mins and they went at it pretty hard in both. Kansai/Aja was on the short side but they beat the heck out of each other in that one too. Never got the sense they were doing much diffrent then they would on a non tournament night.

Not saying they were dogging it or anything but it seemed a step below for me. I just think it is unrealistic to go all out in multiple matches one night with dealing with fatigue and avoiding repetition. Maybe in a 10 hour show these matches really stand out compared to the rest but in the yearbook setting I didn't find them to be too special. But again, I'm slow to pick up this Joshi stuff.

This wasn't as good as Toyota/Kong, but I still enjoyed it for similar reasons, namely that they understood their audience and worked a different style of match than they may normally work to accommodate them. I'm used to seeing Kyoko work these sprints, but not really Kansai, so it's cool to see her do something different. I love Kansai's resourcefulness. At one point, while Kyoko is in a standing position while she is lying on the mat, she manages to trip her, kick her in the face and then throw some forearms. I don't see them holding back because of the longer format of the show -- if anything, I see them going more all out because of the shorter match times.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kyoko vs. more powerful opponents works so much better for me than here mano a mano like the singles match vs. Toyota. The stretching and mat work here was relatively pointless but featured tight submission work. The nearfall section was worked really well and never felt like Your turn my turn. Sneaky top 100 match contender for me on the year.

• 1 year later...

Not as good as the previous match but solid and well-worked. Lots of stuff on the mat here, with both women trading some cool holds. I like seeing Kansai kick the fuck out of people as much as the next guy but it was refreshing to see a match of hers not based around ultra-stiff kicking.

Incidentally this referee with his bizarre 3-count cadence is really starting to piss me off. I don't get why a huge Dome show with 47 different promotions feels the need to have the same guy ref like 10 matches in a row.

• 1 year later...

Kong/Toyota was very good, this was great. They picked their spots more effectively, played to their strengths better, and knew when to take things home. In a fairly limited amount of viewing this is the best Kyoko performance I've seen. She has a tendency to try to do too much and against a force like Kansai that felt very reigned in. This was top notch from start to finish.

• 4 months later...

The crowd were probably burnt out as the big match atmosphere was gone quickly. It did last more or less full length. They did the stuff but it never caught fire. It felt like a 1996 AJW match rather than 1994, which isn't a compliment. The first half was nothing special. I wasn't buying the near falls later on either. Kansai hit the Splash Mountain too soon. There was no build up to the finisher being kicked out of. That made the future false finishes too obvious. The favour was naturally returned with Kyoko's finisher as well. Ugh. Whilst solid overall it didn't live up to expectations.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-11-20-AJW-Big Egg Universe] Dynamite Kansai vs Kyoko Inoue