Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-11-20-AJW-Bigg Egg Universe] Great Sasuke & Sato & Shiryu vs Super Delphin & Jinsei Shinzaki & Gran Naniwa

Loss

• 2 months later...

Never really got the appeal of this and was really disapointed when I saw it after all the hype it used to get. On a 23 match card this isn't in my upper half. Comedy was never what I wanted out of this crew so I was glad when they droped/toned down that aspect a few years later. Even for a comedy match i've seen much better from these guys & from others.

Men’s six man tag. Sato/Dick Togo grew his hair back real fast. Well I was getting a kick out of the comedy myself. They probably provided a nice break on a show with so many matches. Sato is so nimble. Shinzaki even provides his own little spots. Delphin really works over Shiryu’s groin while he is in the tree of woe. The arm wringer spot is so ridiculous but I can’t help laughing at it. Ha, Naniwa runs down the ramp and trips over. Not great but it was a fun match that I enjoyed.

Not great but it was a fun match

If it was sold as that I think I probably would have liked it more. Initially this was a match that had a rep as being some ****+ mega awesome match and well.....I just never got it, even in the context of the time.

I thought this was a lot of fun, but I agree that it wasn't a classic. What it was was a really tremendous comedy match from another promotion helping fill out a long show. The arm wringer stuff with Delphin and Naniwa was hilarious. If you don't go into this match with expectations of seeing something at their normal level, I think you'll enjoy this. Expect really well done comedy spots for 20+ minutes, mixed in with a few flashes of good aerial wrestling.

It's their "fall out of bed" match, with MPro's version of it generally replacing the All Japan Six-Man as the puroresu version where you're most likely to get a good match out of it. Some general thing they did on the first ECW PPV, which people here went nuts for by really was just their standard type of match. They had things like this on their Champ Forum show as well.

Of course they have better matches, but if Raw or Nitro were kicking out matches like this in 1996-99 with gaijin in the place of the MPro guys, folks would be wetting the bed over it. We take "good" for granted sometimes.

John

• 3 weeks later...

This was totally a comedy match but I enjoyed most of it. It was a bit too long for my liking but guy like Super Delphin are pretty amusing. The dive sequence was fun like they always are too. I thought this was a good, fun match in the end.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

On lots of AJW shows from the era all but one of the matches are women's wrestling. The exception would normally be a midget 'comedy' match. All midget wrestling from outside of Mexico is horrible. Whilst the men's match from Big Egg is nothing like that, I still don't want to see it on this show. Especially when it goes on far too long and isn't one of their better efforts.

• 4 months later...

A lot of the first chunk of this seemed to be worked in slow motion, to the match's detriment. And some of the spots are stuff you can call out by now, like the arm-pump, even if it's all well-worked. Shinzaki as the calm yet beleaguered team captain trying to hold his team together is pretty amusing, and the set-up of him trying to splash SATO and hitting his teammates was novel. A hot closing stretch elevates this to something pretty decent, but this isn't a high-end juniors 6-man by any means.

Naniwa will never be looked at the same way after the rise of Daniel Bryan. Actually, his crab walk taunt looks less like Bryan's YES chant itself and more like when Stephanie or Triple H mock it.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-11-20-AJW-Bigg Egg Universe] Great Sasuke & Sato & Shiryu vs Super Delphin & Jinsei Shinzaki & Gran Naniwa