Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-11-30-UWFi] Nobuhiko Takada vs Gary Albright

Loss

• 2 months later...

They aren’t using a scoring system. They tease an Albright suplex early but then go to the mat and stay there for pretty much the rest of the match outside of one suplex being hit. At least with the scoring system there is the rope breaks that result in stand ups. Albright wins with an arm breaker. He wants Vader! This match was dull as I prefer these two to be standing more.

What I liked so much about the last Takada/Albright match was how I didn't realize how good it was until it was over and I realized what I just saw. I appreciated how they built this match that felt so special and big while working extremely simple stuff. This is much different. It doesn't feel as big, but the details are better. Still, Takada can get stoic, and Albright isn't a great mat wrestler, so I like this series more when it plays up the showmanship than I do the technique. This was too big on details, and details aren't where this matchup shines. This is a good match, but I didn't have the same investment in it because it wasn't laid out as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked the previous match a lot better--for whatever reason this felt more like meandering than the earlier, equally deliberate matwork did. That was building into Albright unleashing the heavy artillery. Here this goes until Albright just gets on a cross armbreaker and that's it. Big win for Gary but it should have felt bigger.

• 1 year later...

The law of diminishing returns was in full effect with this rivalry. Thankfully this was their final meeting. Lots of boring matwork, little action and an underwhelming finish. Lazy and poorly worked. After the victory Albright calls out Vader.

• GSR changed the title to [1994-11-30-UWFi] Nobuhiko Takada vs Gary Albright