Pro Wrestling Only

Best of TNA's first 10 years

Stiva

Over the years in TNA, the most enjoyment that I have received has not been from actual in-ring work (from a technical standpoint), but from comedy segments. I really like Eric Young's current gimmick & I'm a fan of Robbie E. & Big Rob Terry too. Madison Rayne & Karen Jarrett even has their moments. Some older stuff were things like the Angle Thanksgiving dinner & the funeral for Team 3D. I remember the guest list had names like "Pat & Sylvan" on it too. Scott Steiner promos (or using a Pogo Stick mid-match).

Actually, come to think of it, I like Eric Young a lot and have liked some of his previous stuff too (like World Elite) but I'm not sure if he's ever had a good match. He was using the Piledriver as a finish for awhile, and it was built-up as being disrespectful because it was locker room etiquette that it was banned, or something. But the matches themselves, I don't remember any of them so none must have stood out.

I remember liking the Jarrett/Angle Last Man Standing match too, but I was in the minority when it happened & it has probably aged even worse.

Looking back at my old best of 2005 list, these were the TNA matches I had on thear

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe 12/11/2005 (my #2 overall match for 2005)

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe 8/14/2005 (#8)

AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels (30 Min Iron Man) 10/23/2005 (#11)

AJ vs Joe vs Daniels - 9/11/05

Daniels, Joe, Strong & Shelly vs Sabin, Bently, Dutt & Aries (Elimination Match) 11/13/05

AJ Styles vs Jarrett 5/15/05

AJ Styles vs Christopher Daniels (30 Min Iron Man) 2/13/05

AJ Styles vs Abyss (Cage Match) 4/24/05

Sabin vs Petey vs Skipper vs Shane - 2005 forget exact date

AMW & Jarrett vs Dudleys & Rhino 11/13/2005

Raven vs Abyss (Dog Collar) 7/17/2005

AJ Styles vs Petey Williams 11/13/05

Styles vs Daniels vs Killings vs Skipper (Ultimate X Challnge) 3/13/05

Raven vs X-Pac (House of Fun match) 5/15/05

These were the ones I had for 2006

Sabin, AJ Styles & Daniels vs Aries, Strong & Shelly 1/7/06

Sabin, Dutt & Bently vs Petey, A1 & Eric Young 1/14/06

AJ Styles vs Shannon Moore (Street Fight) 1/21/06

AJ Styles vs Samoa Joe vs Christopher Daniels 2/12/06

Rhino vs Abyss (Falls Count Anywhear) 2/12/06

Jarrett, Steiner & AMW vs Sting, Styles, Rhino & Killings (Wargames) 4/23/06

Christian vs Abyss (Cage) 4/23/06

Christian vs Abyss (Full Metal Mayhem) 5/14/06

Samoa Joe & Sting vs Scott Steiner & Jeff Jarrett 5/14/06

X-Cup Royal Rumble w (Minoru Tanaka, Puma, Chris Sabin, Hirooki Goto, Incognito, Johnny Devine, Sonjay Dutt, Black Tiger IV, Magno, Eric Young, Alex Shelley, Jushin Liger, Shocker, Tyson Dux, Jay Lethal) 5/14/06

AMW vs Styles & Daniels 5/14/06

Jarrett vs Christian vs Abyss vs Sting vs Killings (King of the Moutntain) 6/18/06

Samoa Joe vs Monty Brown vs Rhino (Falls Count Anywhere) 8/13/06

Styles & Daniels vs LAX 8/13/06

Low Ki vs Chris Sabin 9/24/06

LAX vs AJ Styles & Christopher Daniels (Ultimate-X) 9/24/06

LAX vs Styles & Daniels (Cage Match) 10/22/06

Christian vs Rhino (8 Mile Street Fight) 10/22/06

Low Ki vs Chris Sabin 10/22/06

Sting vs Jeff Jarrett 10/22/06

Rhino vs Christian (Barbed Wire Cage Match) 11/16/06

Abyss vs Sting 11/19/06

Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle 11/19/06

Samoa Joe vs Kurt Angle 12/10/06

Fuck, since I only rarely watch TNA now, I forgot how awesome Styles was

Not TNA but I thought him & Joe also had a really good match in PWG in 2005 too

A little off topic, but I just realized that Impact has been on Spike (since October 2005) longer than Nitro was on TNT (September 1995-March 2001). Which blew my mind.

Also, I seem to recall Raven and Jeff Jarrett having at least one great match during the weekly PPV days. Don't remember exactly when, or if it would hold up now.

Awesome, thanks for the responses. Is there anything worth seeing in Punk's run?

Nope. He was virtually invisible aside from a few garbage matches after he and Julio turned on Raven. I'd only include his stuff if you were doing a TNA yearbook similar to the 90's sets here.

Yeah, I checked OWW and that seemed to be the case. Lot of unremarkable looking tags with not-very-good guys. Might seek out his match with Shane Douglas out of curiousity.

Kevin Nash vs. Mr. X.

(just messin'. Although it was rather humorous)

I remember a decent Jeff Jarrett vs. Jay Lethal match for the TNA strap on the weekly Spike show. It was before Lethal was on-board as a full-timer, so I want to say it was either late 2005 or early 2006.

Most of the early "Ultimate X" matches from around 2004 are at least worth a watch. I'll second that Daniels/Low-Ki/Shane/Sabin bout from early 2004.

Need to check on Kid Kash vs. AJ Styles in a falls count anywhere from 2003/2004. I remember it was entertaining and not the usual "extreme rules" spots.

No specific one stands out but I remember atleast one or 2 of the Punk/Dinero vs Sinn/Slash (Wolfie D) tags being pretty good and the Raven/Gathering vs Douglas/New Church feud in general being good.

It was amusing at the time because Raven & Punk were doing the rounds on every other indy show around the world feuding with each other so TNA was like "it would be brilliant to have them be a tag team instead"

He was virtually invisible aside from a few garbage matches after he and Julio turned on Raven.

That was around the time of the Teddy Hart fight so I think that was the reason.

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Joe/AJ/Daniels Unbreakable 2005

Joe/AJ Turning Point and Sacrifice 2005

Joe/Sabin No Surrender 2005

AJ/Waltman No Surrender 2005

AJ/Daniels 30 Minute Ironman Against All Odds and Bound For Glory 2005

Elimination X Genesis 2005

AMW/XXX Turning Point 2004 and 2003 cage matches

Ultimate X Final Resolution 2005

AJ/Abyss Lockdown 2005

Joe/Daniels Final Resolution 2006

AJ/Joe/Daniels Against All Odds and Destination X 2006

Xscape 2006 and 2007

Lethal Lockdown 2006 and 2007

Harris/Storm Texas Death Match Sacrifice 2007 and 6/7/07 Impact Street Fight

Team Japan vs. Team USA Lockdown 2006

Senshi/Dutt/Shelley/Lethal/Petey/Shark Boy Elimination Match Slammiversary 2006

AMW vs. AJ/Daniels Sacrifice and Slammiversary 2006

LAX vs. AJ/Daniels No Surrender and Bound For Glory 2006

Joe/Daniels 4/13/06 Impact

Sabin/Petey/Dutt/Puma Destination X 2006

Joe/Rhino/Monty Hard Justice 2006

Sabin/Senshi Bound For Glory 2006

Senshi/Daniels Lockdown 2006

Jarrett/AMW vs. Team 3D/Rhino Genesis 2005

Sabin/Lethal/Dutt Sacrifice 2007

AJ/Daniels Final Resolution 2009

AJ/Joe/Daniels Turning Point 2009

Angle/Wolfe Turning Point and Final Resolution 2009

Kong/Gail Turning Point 2007 and Final Resolution 2008, 1/10/08, 5/15/08, and 8/21/08 Impact

Kong/Gail/ODB Destination X 2008

AJ/Dutt/Aries vs. Joe/Daniels/Shelley 11/3/05 Impact

Aries/Dutt/Strong/Shelley Bound For Glory 2005 preshow

AJ/Daniels/Sabin vs. Aries/Strong/Shelley 1/7/06 Impact

MCMG vs. Speed Muscle 6/12/08 Impact

Daniels/Bentley/Aries 10/8/05 Impact

Sabin/Petey/Shelley 10/1/05 Impact

Angle/AJ Hard Justice 2008

Joe/Angle Genesis and Turning Point 2006

Joe/Angle Lockdown 2008

MCMG vs. Beer Money (full series from 2010 but especially the one on the "Whole F'n Show" episode)

Angle/AJ 1/4/10 Impact

Christian/Rhino 11/16/06 Impact

AJ/Petey Victory Road 2004

Angle/Christian/Rhino 6/28/07 Impact

Aries/Sabin/Petey/Shelley 12/3/05 Impact

This is off the top of my head. Obviously most of it is from their peak years (2004-2006, when their PPVs were consistently good) and parts of 2007-2009 as 2010-2011 was quite lacking in quality matches and only half of 2012 would be eligible (a lot of the year's best stuff is at the end of the 10 year period or after it). Much of it is X Division matches, though the company was defined by the X Division and to a lesser extent the tag division in those peak years (similar to how WCW's cruiserweights and midcarders produced much of the quality matches in 1996-1998), and these matches do have stories and psychology despite their fast pace (like WCW's cruiserweight division). I put some forgotten Impact matches on the list as well (the two three ways on the first two Spike Impacts, the 6 man on the prime time special in 2005, a four way in December, Aries, Shelley, and Strong getting a clean win over the top three faces in the X Division, MCMG vs. Speed Muscle, etc.) that are well worth checking out.