Pro Wrestling Only

WWE acquires the Watts video library

rovert

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So...umm...back on topic...

Heads-up for those in North America interested in this: The first two matches listed in the Blu Ray exclusives (Sting-Taylor and RnRs-Midnights) aren't actually in the US/Canada Blu Ray version. They are, however, in the UK version. Everything else listed in said exclusives is there.

String! Where's Wallace?

So...umm...back on topic...

Heads-up for those in North America interested in this: The first two matches listed in the Blu Ray exclusives (Sting-Taylor and RnRs-Midnights) aren't actually in the US/Canada Blu Ray version. They are, however, in the UK version. Everything else listed in said exclusives is there.

That kind of sucks for us North Americans. UK fans also get bonus Raw/Smackdown footage on PPV releases too. Though they do have to wait longer for them.

Also interesting is that quite a few matches have added commentary from Jim Ross.

And the great thing is, it's not like previous new commentary where guys are talking like they're watching something from the past. Ross is commentating as if he was there live and doing commentary.

Yea this is neat. He is doing it as it is happening now. He says stuff like Magnum TA is one if the best young prospects in the business. Even his sports references are topical for the time frame. He made a Bobby Knight reference. I really wish they would do this more often when they redo commentary.

Always found something very fake about it. I used to hate Joey Styles pretend awe on certain ECW VHS releases back in the day, considering its obvious he knows what is going on.

If you listen to a lot of the Bobby Heenan and JR calling (post dub) 1992 WWF footage, they often piss about too long knowing what they are doing isn't strictly relevant also.

But the World Class commentary I'm sure will be great. JR probably has something to prove and went all out, and likely when he was calling matches - he has long forgot who won etc, so it's probably organic.

One mistake that is made is JR calls the Ghetto Street fight as if it's from NO. In actuallality it's from Houston at the Sam Houston Coliseum. Easy mistake since Houston and New Orleans both got the big matches. Ross does the same thing for the Dibiase /Duggan match , but corrects himself immediately.

Just finished watching the Blu Ray set.

What a great compilation. Though I'd seen most of the footage, it was still great to see it in great quality. The new commentary from Ross was a pleasant surprise and I certainly enjoyed the fact that he did it like he was there that night.

I'd forgotten how great of a heel Buzz Sawyer was, Just in the two minute segment and then the wild match with Duggan. He was just dangerous in the ring. I found it interesting that Duggan said he didn't care for Buzz. They sure had a great feud.

The Taylor story about Flair was hilarious. I'm not sure how I feel about Taylor. Every time I hear him talk he comes off as a such a fake, sleazy human.

It seemed Dibiase was the star of the set. I've never been a huge fan of Teddy, but what's on that set sure showcases how great he was in every area of the pro wrestling business.

Overall, I was hoping for a full documentary, but this set delivered in every way. I hope it sells well, so we get a volume 2. (Wishful thinking).

Todd

• 1 month later...

Had issues watching Blu Rays on my PS3 so had to go out and buy a new Blu Ray player. They are pretty inexpensive now a days so no problems but glad to be able to get back into watching this set. Still only on disc one. I'm actually liking JR's commentary on some of the matches. The best he has sounded in ages. Recent message he posted about a possible Volume 2:

The Mid South Wrestling DVD is selling well from what I can determine. I told people before it came out that many would be disappointed that some of their favorite memories would be left out as it is impossible to make everyone happy in one release. Hopefully, WWE will someday do a volume two but only if volume one sells well. The famous Freebirds blinding JYD tape may not exist for the record.