So, Kenny King, 1/2 of the ROH Tag Team Champions (with Rhett Titus) showed up on Impact Live on Thursday night. His ROH contract ran out but he had a "verbal and handshake" agreement with ROH to not work elsewhere (or some shit like that).
So ROH is mad and released a statement (which they have since pulled down):
The appearance of ROH wrestler Kenny King on another television wrestling program tonight has raised speculation on his future as well as how this appearance could occur.
The contract Kenny King signed in June 2011 expired 11 days ago. Before that expiration, an agreement was reached between Kenny and ROH management for an extension of that contract, with a provision to allow him to negotiate with any other promotions so that he could evaluate his options and any potential interest in him elsewhere. When that short extension concluded he would then be free to accept an offer elsewhere, or sign another long term contract with ROH. Under this agreement, Kenny was free to negotiate but not to wrestle for another organization without ROH's permission.
When Kenny was presented with the written extension reflecting this verbal and handshake agreement, he informed ROH he was unsure if other promotions would accept the negotiation clause. He was told he could take the document to be examined by his attorney or other interested parties before executing it to be reassured any other offers would not be viewed as contract tampering. He also informed ROH that he would keep us apprised of any developments.
He contacted ROH on Tuesday July 3 to inform us that he had a meeting in Orlando on Thursday, July 5, which was within the scope of the agreement he had made. Then, early morning on July 5, he contacted an ROH official to say he would be wrestling on the Orlando event that night. He was told he did not have permission to appear live on television as it violated the agreement that had been made. His response was that the deal he had shaken hands on and agreed to in principle "seemed fair at the time", but "others" had told him it was not, so he did not intend to honor it.
Ring of Honor is disappointed that Kenny has chosen to make this decision, after the company had agreed to and followed through on everything he had asked for at the time of our negotiation. However, we consider this breach of his verbal agreement unacceptable, and regardless of his future employment status with any other wrestling company, ROH will not be doing business with Kenny King going forward.
A statement from ROH will be forthcoming regarding the future of the ROH World Tag Team Championship. Co-holder Rhett Titus remains on the active ROH roster.
There is also this video from two months ago, with Kenny King expressing frustrations, so this wasn't out of the blue:
He seems to express a lot of disdain for the wrestling style and Sinclair as an owner.
On the PWTorchcast with Kyle O'Reilly he stated that Sinclair won't run ads during RAW in ROH markets because "Sinclair doesn't think any ROH fans watch RAW."
Mark Madden has written a few articles about ROH, one of which stirred up quite some shit (and got him lambasted on Twitter by ROH roster members): http://www.wrestlezo...ecline-and-fall
Dave Meltzer said this:
The reality is ROH has been a money loser from the start. It would have been dead, as Silkin had lost as much or more than he was willing to, but they kept it alive since Gary Juster was able to broker the deal with Sinclair to save the company with the idea the product itself was so good and it just needed exposure. It's a fun live event, or at least is in the cities where the fans don't come with the idea of turning on it.
The product is good, but it's at a time when, being No. 3, good isn't good enough considering the big two have plenty of good matches with bigger stars. This isn't TNA where somebody is willing to lose $50 million on the project. Ultimately, ROH is going to survive based on whether Sinclair believes the ratings the show delivers for its affiliates are worth whatever losses they are going to incur running shows and carrying a roster. Sinclair purchased it with the idea that they could make money drawing 750 fans paid per event, and with television, they could run all the markets a few times a year and draw that. That's not going to happen and it's nobody's fault. It's just where pro wrestling is today and presenting an action filled show with guys who work their asses off who aren't stars on a TV show that looks minor league compared to WWE and TNA isn't going to connect with 750 fans in each market on a consistent basis. On the flip side, in a highly competitive television environment, pro wrestling can at least draw a decent audience to watch on television. iPPV is a question mark. The theory behind them is solid, and the misfires at a time they were gaining ground was a sucker punch at a time the company could least afford it. But at best, it's a year or two away from being a significant game changer.
Kevin Kelly responded to the Mark Madden article: http://www.wrestlezo...onor-need-to-do
So that's where we're at. Sorry if I forgot anything.
If a mod wants to move the discussion from the comments thread to here, that would be cool too.