Coffey

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Flip and Sabin are both out. Sabin isn't a big deal as he is just a body, but Flip is a bigger deal. Definitely an interesting time in ROH. The signing of RUSH is absolutely crazy and I honestly feel that is due to a few DVDVR and PWO posters spreading the good word on Twitter. It will be very interesting to see what ROH does with him. In its history ROH may fuck MLW yet again. Ja Rule, Cam'ron, 50 Cent, and other ended their early 2000's beef. Why won't ROH? In the immortal words of Booker T, "We comin' for you...".

So I watched a bit of ROH TV from the beginning of this year. How is it possible that after all this time, ROH's TV doesn't look as good as iMPACT or MLW ?  That and the way the product is presented, I dunno, there's nothing to grab my interest, despite the fact some workers I enjoy work there. The fact they signed Rush and Bandido for one year isn't enough for me to watch their weekly stuff at this point... 

Just now, El-P said:

So I watched a bit of ROH TV from the beginning of this year. How is it possible that after all this time, ROH's TV looks worse than iMPACT or MLW ? That and the way the product is presented, I dunno, there's nothing to grab my interest, despite the fact some workers I enjoy work there. The fact they signed Rush and Bandido for one year isn't enough for me to watch their weekly stuff at this point... 

The TV shows are really bad. Just the overall energy of them is so stale, to the point that even the best workers can't change it.

ROH has been and likely always will be a live show product. 

It was nice to see during the Rush/TK O'Ryan match that the commentary mentioned  Rush and Matt Taven were on opposite sides of the CMLL Anniversary main event. Built some heat for the match and set up the post match angle. Also putting over that LIJ was an offshoot of a group Rush created, potentialy setting up a cross promotional angle since Terrible and Rush have made appearances in New Japan teaming with various LIJ groups.

10 hours ago, Migs said:

The TV shows are really bad. Just the overall energy of them is so stale, to the point that even the best workers can't change it.

ROH has been and likely always will be a live show product. 

They're not even really a compelling live show product or DVD product anymore. PWG took that crown from them & ran away with it years ago.

1 hour ago, SomethingSavage said:

They're not even really a compelling live show product or DVD product anymore. PWG took that crown from them & ran away with it years ago.

Agreed. The decline of ROH was one of the most frustrating things to observe as a wrestling fan in the last two decades. There was a time in late 2000s where I looked to ROH as the peak product in the world and now they're synonymous with bland, lifeless creative.

ROH is inexpensive programming for the Sinclair stations .  When , Cornette came into power he tone down the product in order to sell the company to a television outlet . Jimmy gave us this bland product . Now years later Delirious is  still the booker . He books  a product  that pleases   his corporate employer. Really cannot compare ROH and PWG .  ROH is a safe product that appeals to TV executives  and their advertising clients , while PWG is a home video product that appeals to a smaller customer base . PWG never has to worry about losing ad dollars over risky content . ROH is all about selling TV time and pleasing  the corporate office. Apples and Oranges .

I actually prefer ROH's TV show to their PPVs/Big shows. It reminds me of WCW Saturday Night or early Thunder in that there's a loose storyline going on and the main event usually delivers. Some weeks do suck but, hey its free! It's good in that its low commitment. Similar feeling to how TNA was as well. 

Probably not their business model but, I buy the dvds and merch when they're on sale.

Their new hires are pretty exciting compared to when Cody was brought on.

6 hours ago, G. Badger said:

No problemo! What did you think?

Well, Rush came out like a star again. I don't know what's not to get about him. The guy clearly has It. Maybe the match against lanky Roh guy #6372 (yeah, I'm being mean, but neither the name nor the look nor the work, apart the damn spinebuster, registered with me) was a bit too competitive, but since I have no idea of the rankings of the promotion… 

I did enjoy Silas Young vs Beer City Bruiser a whole lot though. Silas has a great 80's look without pushing the revivalist card it seems. And I always like a fat guy who can work. And garbage spots when done right. 

That indierrific guy landing straight on his head on a poorly caught dive was something else… Of course he didn't sell it because it wasn't supposed to happen...

12 hours ago, El-P said:

Well, Rush came out like a star again. I don't know what's not to get about him. The guy clearly has It. Maybe the match against lanky Roh guy #6372 (yeah, I'm being mean, but neither the name nor the look nor the work, apart the damn spinebuster, registered with me) was a bit too competitive, but since I have no idea of the rankings of the promotion… 

I did enjoy Silas Young vs Beer City Bruiser a whole lot though. Silas has a great 80's look without pushing the revivalist card it seems. And I always like a fat guy who can work. And garbage spots when done right. 

That indierrific guy landing straight on his head on a poorly caught dive was something else… Of course he didn't sell it because it wasn't supposed to happen...

Yeah, I felt the same way about Rush's opponent. That spinebuster was pretty great but, the rest was so-so (felt a little too long & competitive to me as well). If this is their way to do Rush vs Taven then, I guess I'm OK with it. Taven is a guy I've come to like especially where he is in the pecking order. So, we'll see :)

Bruiser vs Silas was a nice treat. I think ROH is booking these type of matches since they seem to be running a ton of their TV tapings in the ECW area. I think I even heard some EC Dub! EC Dub! chants during one of the spots. Beer City Bruiser totally seems like he would have fit in. I've come to like how they're using him and the other fat guy.

Oh hahaha! I did forget about the opening match...oh man...that shouldn't have been on TV

2 out of 3 ain't bad!

What's notable is most of the time CMLL guys get little to no reaction (except for Ultimo Guerrero who can get over literally everywhere in the world), but Rush got the "this is a big star doing big star things" treatment.  

To use a Dave-ism, if ROH drops the ball with him they should be sued for promotional malpractice. 

On 1/25/2019 at 6:29 PM, sek69 said:

What's notable is most of the time CMLL guys get little to no reaction (except for Ultimo Guerrero who can get over literally everywhere in the world), but Rush got the "this is a big star doing big star things" treatment.  

To use a Dave-ism, if ROH drops the ball with him they should be sued for promotional malpractice. 

I'm really interested to see how they use him. They keep pushing the Taven vs Lethal angle so, perhaps they throw Rush in there as well. Maybe because of his problems with Taven, we see a triple threat ROH title match??? and he wins? I can't believe for as much as they are paying as well as the CMLL/NJPW/ROH stuff, that they don't spotlight him as hard as can be for the year.

Of course, it'd all be leading up to him losing the belt at Final Battle to I'll say Castle or Scurll. Totally just spit balling ideas...they very well could just upper mid card him with this version of the Kingdom all year. Like El-P said, his first TV match was a little too competitive.

Do they really need another stable? Especially after they put all the new guys in a group by Juice walking out and screaming "we're a stable!"

Lethal is clearly champ as a stop gap until they figure out who to lead with. From a charisma perspective, Scurll is the obvious choice, but I'd also be surprised if they're able to keep him long term. I almost feel like they should just bite the bullet and give it a try with Taven, but he also just doesn't seem up to the task.

2 hours ago, Migs said:

Do they really need another stable? Especially after they put all the new guys in a group by Juice walking out and screaming "we're a stable!"

Lethal is clearly champ as a stop gap until they figure out who to lead with. From a charisma perspective, Scurll is the obvious choice, but I'd also be surprised if they're able to keep him long term. I almost feel like they should just bite the bullet and give it a try with Taven, but he also just doesn't seem up to the task.

That's been an RoH staple from day one. It isn't RoH if there isn't at least 3 stables where the members couldn't tell you why they exist as a group.

Ha! That is pretty lame :) I'll give it to the writer for coming up with something. The trios and stable approach does make sense though. They don't really have that many strong individual performers on their roster so, they are really having those folks (Lethal, Taven, Scurll, and now Juice) carry the stories while the others wrestle the matches and hopefully grow. I actually like tag wrestling a lot so, I'm all in favor of it.