Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can't believe ROH has run with Jay's "oh fuck it is this guy" music for this long.

Jay talks and dresses well PR wise.

WWE have hired him long ago but didn't for *reasons*. So ROH fans will probably have to live him forever and ever. He's still only 33 years old.

22 minutes ago, rovert said:

I can't believe ROH has run with Jay's "oh fuck it is this guy" music for this long.

Jay talks and dresses well PR wise.

WWE have hired him long ago but didn't for *reasons*. So ROH fans will probably have to live him forever and ever. He's still only 33 years old.

How is he only 33 years old? Was he really 16 when he started with Jersey All Pro?

I liked his match with Jay Briscoe, the one with Castle from the Anniversary show last year, the stuff with Gresham. But agreed that he's clearly a guy who's very solid but it's insane that he's been champion this long.

Lethal isn't anything extraordinary in terms of match output or whatever, but I do think he's slightly underrated in terms of working angles and feuds.

Jay probably wouldn't stand out if he were side by side among elite company, but in ROH? I'd say he's one of the better equipped guys for that stuff.

I don't think he ever needed another title reign or anything, but I understand why they value him & why they'd choose to feature the guy consistently.

I've been up and down on Lethal over the years. I'm currently down on him. He just feels stale right now and I don't think that's a good thing for ROH at this point in time. They really need to run with someone new and exciting after losing the Elite. 

I just watched this week's tv, sort of. I skimmed the first match as neither guy really does anything for me. Enjoyed the Bandido/Haskins match. It wasn't mind-blowing but it was a decent tv match. It's actually the first I've seen of Bandido so I'll be checking him out some more. If anyone in here has some suggestions for what to watch, I'd appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I've been up and down on Lethal over the years. I'm currently down on him. He just feels stale right now and I don't think that's a good thing for ROH at this point in time. They really need to run with someone new and exciting after losing the Elite. 

I just watched this week's tv, sort of. I skimmed the first match as neither guy really does anything for me. Enjoyed the Bandido/Haskins match. It wasn't mind-blowing but it was a decent tv match. It's actually the first I've seen of Bandido so I'll be checking him out some more. If anyone in here has some suggestions for what to watch, I'd appreciate it. 

I literally watched yesterday his match vs Robbie Eagles from PWG Bask In His Glory. Also was my first look at Bandido and I wasn't disappointed with what I saw at all. Pretty fun match that also allowed me to discover Robbie Eagles.

9 hours ago, Alucard said:

I guess nothing ever came of the Taeler Hendrix accusations.

It's sleazy, slimy rasslin', where everything is stuck in the '70s and the "rats" are "making it up for attention."

The industry is decades away from taking a #metoo movement seriously.

Hell, Austin Aries shoved his crotch in Christy Hemme's face without her permission or consent on live (?) TV, and no one paid attention or cared.

I thought last episode was a pretty decent hour of pro-wrestling, with all three matches being really good. Bandido did impress me quite a bit. And after only two matches, I'm already a Silas Young fan. Wished more pro-wrestler looked like that rather than 170 pounds emokids (yeah, I'm old school sometimes). Silas vs Cobb should be pretty damn good. 

Is it me or the announcer (not Cabana) sounding quite a bit like Gene Okerlund ? 

So, Nick Aldis is working ROH like it's an old-time territory ? Is that Corgan's vision ? Well, why not, there will probably never be an actual NWA promotion with a roster, so Aldis going from ROH to other indies defending the title is probably the most "exciting" thing they can come up with...

1 hour ago, El-P said:

So, Nick Aldis is working ROH like it's an old-time territory ? Is that Corgan's vision ? Well, why not, there will probably never be an actual NWA promotion with a roster, so Aldis going from ROH to other indies defending the title is probably the most "exciting" thing they can come up with...

Basically, yes. That seems to be the whole Aldis shtick - what if we had a touring champ with a web series? It's actually a really interesting meld of old and new, although I have no idea how Corgan makes money on it (although I assume his production company is getting paid to do those ROH Pinnacle videos). Maybe there was a vision at one point of AEW being essentially an NWA TV show, although if there was, that's obviously out the window. It's also possible Corgan is just doing this for fun, and while it doesn't make him much money, it's also not costing him much, and he's fine with that.

Went to the ROH tapings tonight in Lakeland. It was my first ROH show live since February 2009 and my first time watching ROH since the POP days. I thought the show was really bad. They have some decent talent like Bandido, Juice, Cobb, Mack, RUSH and even the Kingdom guys. It just felt so lifeless with a dead crowd and nothing to make a first time viewer want to watch again. Lethal is a good mid-card talent but no way should he be a world champion in 2019. HIs tag team with Gresham is embarrassing. They have no chemistry. Most over guy of the night was Marty. They should put the world title on him at MSG. Hell just build the company around him, Bandido, Juice and get rid of the old guard like Lethal and the Briscoes. 

On 2/8/2019 at 4:08 PM, El-P said:

Well, except from what I get from the Aldis vs PJ Black match, Nick Aldis kinda sucks, really. It didn't strike me at All In, but there was tons of smokes and mirrors and great heat for obvious reasons. Dull as fuck both as a worker and as a character, which he doesn't seem to have at all (he's wooden). He was in poor positioning three times at least during the match, two of which making Black's spots look bad. The old-school stuff looks forced and totally cosplayish (don't get me started on the announcing referring to legendary 80's matches like this stuff was any different from Chris Candido vs Dan Severn). Kamille basically took the most impressing bump of the match (kudos to her, although the crowd chanting "this is awesome" was kinda odd). This NWA stuff just isn't working, there's no company, no one seems to care. I guess I should say, "like the last Smashing Pumpkins album", but that's too easy...

Also, judging from that month of TV I've watched, ROH doesn't give a flying fuck about its women division.

And finally, a reset angle is always lazy and never works, but just throwing a bunch of guys together from nowhere and declaring "we are going to bring honor back to Ring of Honor" is like the laziest, level sub-zero of booking. How is this company even considered N°2  in the US, I have no idea...

Oh, well, Marty Scurll (whom I hope is gonna join AEW eventually, and the fact he's still well present in the Being the Elite intro hints that will be the case eventually) doing Quebecers spot with Oulette was fun, but that squash match was pretty much the highlight of this week's TV, and it's not like I'm given the urge to keep on with that product...

Since we're talking about the NWA, I thought the Aldis-Scurll segment was very effective.

Caprice Coleman, whoever the fuck that is, seemed like he was trying too hard to cosplay as Mean Gene and he wasn't convincing at all. I'm also not sure who the woman with Aldis is and don't think she fits his act at all.

Other than that, I thought it was great work and it makes me want to see the match.

I'm not down on Aldis nearly as much as everyone else is. I think he looks the part and represents his organization well. I'm baffled he never got a real look from WWE.

On 2/12/2019 at 7:44 PM, El-P said:

Also, judging from that month of TV I've watched, ROH doesn't give a flying fuck about its women division.

Kelly Klein, who they were building around, is married to BJ Whitmer who left to be a producer with AEW. She's probably going to join him since she recently dropped the title to continue their ongoing joshi fetish that seemed to consume their women division. (uh, spoiler I guess)

Yeah, I was caught off by guard by how solid he was during the Castle/Lethal match from Honor Reigns Supreme. It was odd, because his promo justfying his presence was extremely wooden, but as soon as he got to call the match he eased up and did a good job of putting both guys over.

• 1 month later...

Watched most of the Anniversary show. I really don't know what it is, but the production still strikes me as dull and worse than either iMPACT or MLW. Guys like Kenny King reeks of 00's indie wrestling stereotypes : uncharismatic guy with short tights and kickpads. It seems that mots guy wear some sort of black and white variation, with not much color. Oh anyway, there was quite a bit to enjoy, although I didn't watch Matt Taven vs Jay Lethal go an hour, no time for this. And really, these guys really don't scream Main Event time to me, especially Taven, who's presentation is dull as fuck. I guess ther are going for a three-way with Scurll at MSG, well at least throw in some charisma and star power into the mix.

Enjoyed Shane Taylor vs Jeff Cobb a whole lot, probably my favourite match. Taylor's outfit doesn't do him any favor, but as a fat ass worker, he's quite impressive. Cobb is just surreal strong though. He's not the most charismatic (he was at his best doing Matanza thus far), but he's an amazing power worker who can do other shit (but doesn't display it like that wanker Elgin does). Excellent bomb throwing match.

Kelly Klein I guess is their version of Shayna/Ronda. Not the worker nor the charisma of either though, but good enough. But again, dull presentation. Iwutani I guess is the joshi worker in vogue. No idea how good she is usually, but that insane head-bump followed almost immediately by standing up and going back on offense (not in a delayed selling way but in a completelt stupid way that made the bump totally meaningless) did not endear her to me although the rest of her work looked good. I guess Kelly's a goner to AEW.

Bandido vs Rush was really good mostly, although shaky at points with Bandido doing kinda sloppy stuff, like he was working too fast. It's odd they threw that match without much build-up already. I guess a bit underwhelming to a degree. Rush should just be boosted in the main title scene asap.

PCO vs King vs Briscoes was quite the crazy brawl. Not sure how smart this is on PCO's part to take these kind of bump at his age (at any age, really), and I thought the pacing kinda slowed down to much toward the end, which didn't really climaxed, especially with that awfully botched spot outside (which could have been really dangerous). Hey, I'm a garbage match fan, so this was right up my alley, it was dirty and messy with tons of crazy shit. It's fun to think about PCO being off the radar two years ago, making himself a cult figure last year at Spring Break and this year he's gonna go back to MSG 15 years after Mania 10 where he was a tag team champ already. Good for him

50 minutes ago, El-P said:

I really don't know what it is, but the production still strikes me as dull and worse than either iMPACT or MLW.

Even the grimy, low-rent production of early ROH had more compelling character to it. Now, of course, this might just be my nostalgia talking but the cameramen at ringside really took you into the ring to highlight what ROH always wanted to highlight: the in-ring action. It made the strikes sound harder, made the crowd sound like they popped louder too. It's part of the reason NJPW stuff works so well too, you get a lot of really close up shots from right at ringside. ROH now with its much wider shots and poorly mic-ed crowds and ring actually significantly takes away from the action sometimes.

I watched the whole show. Actually thought Taven-Lethal was fine, although it didn't really need to go 60 and didn't justify it. But it's not like the hour dragged very badly or anything. They could have easily gotten to the same place with a double DQ after the interference section, though.

PCO and King continue to be the weirdest, most pleasant surprise for me this year. They have an odd chemistry that just works, and they're absolutely great in these wide open brawls. This is of course right up the Briscoes' alley, and this was their best tag match in ages.