Ring of Honor Wrestling

• Please log in to reply
1406 replies to this topic

#1401 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:45 PM

My biggest problem with Silas Young, I've said it in this very thread, is that he doesn't wrestle like his character. An aerial move for that guy should be a dropkick. He has a great character and I love that he isn't afraid to just have the fans hate him but holy shit dude, think about what you do in the ring.

Yeah and all the injuries he has had over the past few years really hurt his athleticism. He should pretty much just be a punch/kick asshole with a mustache at this point. Which, like you said, fits the character anyhow.

#1402 Mad Dog

Mad Dog
  • Members
  • 4891 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:46 PM

My biggest problem with Silas Young, I've said it in this very thread, is that he doesn't wrestle like his character. An aerial move for that guy should be a dropkick. He has a great character and I love that he isn't afraid to just have the fans hate him but holy shit dude, think about what you do in the ring.

Yeah and all the injuries he has had over the past few years really hurt his athleticism. He should pretty much just be a punch/kick asshole with a mustache at this point. Which, like you said, fits the character anyhow.

Lariat for a finisher and he'd be gold.

#1403 Zoo Enthusiast

Zoo Enthusiast
  • Members
  • 1393 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

Lariat for a finisher and he'd be gold.
He should bring back the “Stan Hansen’s nephew” gimmick, then.

#1404 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1932 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:06 PM

I wonder if part of the reason for that is because he's wrestling in front of the "smart" (but really dumb as rocks) ROH audience, who expects everyone be a "good worker" (meaning, wrestle in an indy-riffic spot monkey style). I'd love to see him re-molded in NXT, where Triple H and the trainers there would be smart enough to re-calibrate his style.

#1405 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 854 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 05:05 AM

Silas Young has ALWAYS worked that gimmick - and that style - way before his ROH days. Seems like a case of him wanting to show what he CAN do, and then getting his shit in every time.

#1406 TonyPulis'Cap

TonyPulis'Cap
  • Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 06:01 AM

I thought it was a fun episode of ROH TV this week, with Dalton as champion feeling nicely different. I thought the opening segment was pretty entertaining, but without the comedy being too forced and over the top, and with a nice balance between funny and serious. Already setting up Lethal and Punishment Martinez as contenders is nice, rather than going straight for the Cody rematch immediately.

I like Silas Young, but agree with all the points above - there is that disconnect with his character - who should be a bar brawler, and then throwing in moonsaults and convoluted ways of hitting knee strikes, which feels like what a guy like him should rail against.

The Briscoes are fantastic in everything they do, and remain one of the acts that fell most 'real' in wrestling, Them against the Guns should be fun, and it actually feels like a long time since they've had the ROH tag titles, unless there's a run I'm forgetting.

The main event was an exciting match, and when you get Marty away from the Bucks, who bring out his worst tendencies. Since he's been in ROH his TV singles matches have been pretty strong. 

#1407 C.S.

C.S.
  • Members
  • 1932 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

For all of the great things I hear about the Briscoes, it's a shame they probably torpedoed their big league chances by acting like backward homophobes. No sympathy from me though. They deserve to be marginalized to the indy ghettos of wrestling for the rest of their careers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users