Ring of Honor Wrestling

Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Matt Taven-Jeff Cobb made Seth Rollins-Baron Corbin look like Over the Edge 1998 by comparison.

The match didn't make it past ten minutes and the biggest spot of the night was Taven catching Cobb on the apron with an arm-breaker. Cobb sold it like a wounded animal, slamming Taven around, but slowly losing power allowing Taven to hit 3 penalty kicks and 2 climaxes (EC3's one-percenters, or just think a head-lock variation of Jarrett's stroke) for the win. The crowd was extremely quiet through out and the only chants of the match were split chants for Taven.

I've been following ROH since 2011 and that was easily the most underwhelming ROH Championship match I've seen. Cobb replicated his effort at the Athens Olympics and Taven looked bored.

Given how they are pushing this ROH vs NWA feud right now and given how stories about a large number of the roster will be out of Ring of Honor by the end of summer (by choice), I expect the main event of Final Battle this year to be Eli Drake vs Matt Taven

From watching the show, the judge to tell whether we should care about something is the rate of music lyrics that are recited during commentary of the show.  The whole main event was almost a contest to see who could squeeze as many of them as possible.  I think they just as surprised at the sudden and nothing ending as we were

I can't recall a promotion that seems so hellbent on making people not care as much as ROH is right now. Like, even  WWE is trying shit no matter if you like it or not, ROH  seems steadfast in its attempts to remain as pedestrian as possible.

54 minutes ago, sek69 said:

I can't recall a promotion that seems so hellbent on making people not care as much as ROH is right now. Like, even  WWE is trying shit no matter if you like it or not, ROH  seems steadfast in its attempts to remain as pedestrian as possible.

It's the fact that they take hot acts like Jeff Cobb, PCO, Bandido and Rush and then do nothing with them. And the talent is starting to notice as Juice Robinson doesn't want to work there anymore because they hurt his buzz. I saw pictures of this show and they had half of an arena if they were lucky. You would think they would be willing to try something with someone.

8 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

It's the fact that they take hot acts like Jeff Cobb, PCO, Bandido and Rush and then do nothing with them. 

Add in Brody King who looked awesome in NJ the other week. But yeah, they're all about Matt Taven ? Seriously ? They got two of the hottest luchadors today, the guy who had the most buzz on the indies in 2018, the guy who played Matanza on Lucha Underground and they managed to not make me want to watch any of their show.

As fas as Eli Drake signing with the NWA, what a load of nothing. Meanwhile, Sami Callihan and Tessa Blanchard are stealing the show on iMPACT right now and will probably steal the show at Slammiversary considering both their track records. Nice career move...

I know some people here like him but Shane Taylor being TV Champion really shows how far the company has fallen. He's the kind of guy that if he ever got to a major company should be a jobber or curtain jerking. He should never be sniffing a title in the supposed third biggest company in the United States. Same with Taven. New Japan doesn't even want the guy.

29 minutes ago, El-P said:

Meanwhile, Sami Callihan and Tessa Blanchard are stealing the show on iMPACT right now and will probably steal the show at Slammiversary considering both their track records. Nice career move...

To be fair, no one will see them doing it though.

I'm actually at least slightly more interested in the NY show now because they set up some things. Love Flip joining Villain Enterprises. They're trying to turn Lethal and Gresham heel? Some weird Impact castoff clusterfuck in the NWA angle? It's all at least something, sorta, enough for a maybe more interesting TV taping than the last couple.

This show was the definition of fine, though, with nothing exceeding expectations and a few things underdelivering. The best match might have been the opener - really enjoying Castle's new direction.

19 hours ago, William Bologna said:

I was there tonight and at last year's BITW, and the difference is staggering. Last year it took forever to get a beer. You couldn't get down the one hallway where they were doing meet and greets. This year there was no line for beer, and all the hallways were easily accessible; even the one with Jay Briscoe standing there looking at his phone.

The show wasn't any good either. Shane Taylor vs. Bandido was cool, though.

Had not thought about this, but ease of getting drinks will be a big win at the Hammerstein.

ROH could be fixed . You would have to clean house. I would fire the whole booking team . Then I would find a booker  that could be objective about the talent . No more wives , girlfriends , close friends  and pet students. Maybe Lance Storm or Dave Lagana . The booking style needs to be a fusion of  Memphis and 80's / 90's AJPW. Personal issues and work rate collide . That what ROH was built on .

I would gut the bottom third of the roster . Goodbye  Cheeseburger, Ryan Nova , Boys , Bouncers, Vinny ,  Shane Taylor  Little Willie and Rhett Titus . Then I drop the whole woman 's division . If ROH is going to promote woman's wrestling , hire woman who can work . The current woman's product is not up to standards. I not against women's wrestling , I just don't want to watch any type of  bad wrestling.

I would add top young talent . Guys like the NJPW La Dojo students. I don't know if the Future of Honor project will ever produce guys the quality of Clark Conner, Alex Coughlin and Karl Fredricks . No more guys that have the body of a 12 year old girl .

I snap up top talents  when they become available. An  example who be Eli Drake.  Also seek out  for overlooked indy guys that strong workers. Examples Joey Lynch and Alexander James .

I was a ROH fan for over 10 years . The G1 / Supercard was the first show I watch this year . I dropped Honor Club at the first of the year , never watch the TV show. . Hopefully things will get better. Right now MLW is filling the void.

I would keep Cheeseburger. He is over and they desperately need to keep anyone with any remote goodwill from the fans. Just don't put him in angles like they did with Bully Ray. Let him curtain jerk shows and get a pop and lose.

I think you could easily fix the women's division. Look at what AEW did by putting some actual effort into it. The problem with WoH is that it's only existed for the booking team's wives and girlfriends  to pull a paycheck. There's no reason that they can't bring in 6-8 quality workers.

23 hours ago, El-P said:

I will and I will talk about it here. :)

Ditto.

I actively seek out Impact's pay-per-views and watch them, even if it takes me about three or four days with my limited free time.

And I've made extensive, long-winded posts about everything they're doing right - even if it is going mostly unnoticed.

I honestly couldn't tell you why anyone would go out of their way to watch a full ROH show these days though. Force of habit? Fear of missing out? Sheer boredom? A general lack of other things to do?

I can't imagine there's another reason. Putting ROH on your screen is like putting shit on toast.

I mean, sure. You CAN do it. But what the actual fuck, man. Put something halfway good on instead.

I think the rise of AEW has made the Impact/ROH/MLW-style mid-major promotion obsolete. They can't really base their products around workrate because most of the top workers have been locked down by the big companies and the ones they do have are likely to bolt once their contracts are up. So they have to focus more on shtick, but that pretty much limits you to a niche audience.

19 hours ago, SomethingSavage said:

I honestly couldn't tell you why anyone would go out of their way to watch a full ROH show these days though. Force of habit? Fear of missing out? Sheer boredom? A general lack of other things to do?

I can't imagine there's another reason. Putting ROH on your screen is like putting shit on toast.

I mean, sure. You CAN do it. But what the actual fuck, man. Put something halfway good on instead.

Someone else made the joke on Twitter that they were interested in half the card this week - not half the matches, but literally one side of each match. I generally skim ROH shows for the guys I like, but they were really spread out on this card, and I ended up watching almost all of it (other than the women's match).

On 7/1/2019 at 12:14 AM, NintendoLogic said:

I think the rise of AEW has made the Impact/ROH/MLW-style mid-major promotion obsolete. They can't really base their products around workrate because most of the top workers have been locked down by the big companies and the ones they do have are likely to bolt once their contracts are up. So they have to focus more on shtick, but that pretty much limits you to a niche audience.

100% agree with this

I think realistically it also shows that a lot of these shows are basically the same thing now- ROH has lost its identity completely now, MLW is a good laugh at times but too low budget to become anything more, Impact I haven't watched in years but even with the supposed change in product lately (only going off this board) is good enough to stay in business? 

That said I think there's a big void for something robbing mma production and ideas? A 2020 UWFI is something I would be interested in. 

30 minutes ago, FMKK said:

New Japan announced shows in Chicago, Philly and New York for autumn with seemingly no ROH involvement.

I've seen the reports too and curious what "no ROH involvement" means. They announced their own shows in the US in the winter, and without VISA problems for a lot of the Japanese guys, those also wouldn't have involved ROH other than probably the use of some ROH talent that regularly works NJ. 

32 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

So who was worse Justin Credible as ECW Champion or Matt Taven as RoH Champion? I'm kind of thinking Taven.

Speaking as an outsider who doesn't know too much about either worker: probably Taven. He has even less innately interesting things about him than Credible did. At least Credible had the Impact Players act to lean on.