Coffey

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 8/11/2019 at 4:21 PM, SomethingSavage said:

I don't watch Court's show, but is MLW a better/hotter product than ROH right now? I wouldn't be surprised.

Yes. They sell more tickets in the markets they both run, and there's an overall energy to where the show is, even if they can be inconsistent, as frequently discussed in the MLW thread. And that last part is notable - there's a thread where people actually discuss the weekly MLW TV, which is far more engagement than ROH has at the moment.

1 hour ago, Migs said:

If I'm Taven, and there's any interest from WWE, now's definitely the time to strike while the iron is hot. 

Taven's primary concern is getting free and legal from ROH. Without a contract tampering claim or time added to his contract or being in limbo. ROH/Sinclair is very litigious/vindictive as Cole, O'Reilly and Fish found out.

Once he is I expect him to land with NXT. The New England Mafia is real and Triple H looks after Killer Kowalski students. 

I think Taven would be fine in the WWE. He's got the right size and athleticism to be a lower midcard guy for them. He's not big enough, or a good enough worker, or charismatic enough to be a top guy carrying a company but at like a Zach Ryder, Bob Holly, Al Snow, Lance Storm kinda level I think he'd be fine. 

4 hours ago, joeg said:

I think Taven would be fine in the WWE. He's got the right size and athleticism to be a lower midcard guy for them. He's not big enough, or a good enough worker, or charismatic enough to be a top guy carrying a company but at like a Zach Ryder, Bob Holly, Al Snow, Lance Storm kinda level I think he'd be fine. 

Yeah, he's perfectly serviceable and could fit fine doing mid-card semi-comedic stuff. He's over his head as a top guy, but that shouldn't obscure that he's a solid worker and character.

16 minutes ago, Zoo Enthusiast said:

Taven’s the kind of guy they will sign and pay to do nothing at Full Sail for a couple years.  Good work if you can get it.

See, I think he's the kind of guy they'd pull up to the main roster fast to do low card stuff, like they did with Drake Maverick (or maybe EC3 would be the better comparison).

I just watched the post-Summer Supercard episode of ROH TV. It's my first time seeing the new format and I actually enjoyed it. The clip format works nicely and could maybe drive up some Honor Club business. Or at least, it could if the show was actually being watched. I'm interested in ratings for the show. I know they can't be drawing "new" fans because how in the world would they find out about the promotion? 

Anyway, mini-rant aside, the clip format with a longer main event was pretty good. Ian is still a much better version of Mauro, the new co-host is cute and didn't annoy me, and it made me consider subscribing to Honor Club. The major downside was the digitizing of Jay Briscoe's face after he got busted open. I get that it was a nasty blade job but still, it really wasn't cool, and with the show being on late-night, I don't see why blood is an issue. 

On 9/6/2019 at 7:51 AM, Dewar said:

The show doesn't air late night in all the markets. I used to get Fox Rochester, and it would air in the middle of the afternoon on weekends.

Yeah here in Pittsburgh it airs (multiple times) Saturday and Sunday afternoons. 

In a way it kind of reminded me when someone would bleed on 80s WWF TV and they'd have the big red X up on the screen. Made it seem more gruesome than it actually was. 

Looks like Taven is staying with ROH. Apparently, Meltzer said he's making double what the highest paid wrestler in NXT is making, with the potential for it to become triple.

Obviously a good financial move, but is it a good career move? I have to imagine Taven has peaked in ROH, and while it doesn't sound like he'd be anywhere near the same level in NXT/WWE, I'm not sure what's left for him in ROH.

8 minutes ago, Ricky Jackson said:

Sounds like NXT talent is being criminally underpaid 

Meltz mentioned that Kushida probably makes a lot less now than he would in NJPW if he had not left. So yeah, going to NXT to work in front of 400 people in Full Sail for average pay doesn't always seem like the greatest career move unless you're a desperate WWE fanboy or someone who is sure to get to the top once called on the main roster. With NXT becoming its on "opposite" brand, "being called up" may not be as garanteed as it was before. And then again, how many people got totally wasted once thrown into the main roster ? So yeah, Taven taking the fat ROH money probably is the best thing for him on all front. Big fish small pond big money less dates to work. What's not to love ?

16 hours ago, El-P said:

Meltz mentioned that Kushida probably makes a lot less now than he would in NJPW if he had not left. So yeah, going to NXT to work in front of 400 people in Full Sail for average pay doesn't always seem like the greatest career move unless you're a desperate WWE fanboy or someone who is sure to get to the top once called on the main roster. With NXT becoming its on "opposite" brand, "being called up" may not be as garanteed as it was before. And then again, how many people got totally wasted once thrown into the main roster ? So yeah, Taven taking the fat ROH money probably is the best thing for him on all front. Big fish small pond big money less dates to work. What's not to love ?

Agreed. I'm guessing ROH is throwing money at guys to keep some semblance of a roster, and unless you think you can pop in WWE (Cole, Riddle) or need a change of scenery (Kushida), it's hard to say no to an amount that could allow you to be comfortable for a long time while working a pretty light schedule.

Now, is his career going anywhere in ROH? Probably not. Look at how they've struggled to use Dalton Castle since he lost the title.  But there's other things to pursue in life beyond your career.