Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-06-NWA-Worldwide] Norman the Lunatic and Woman

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Norman has been working on a painting of Woman and is here to present it to her (and Nitron). The picture is quite hideous, which causes Woman to break it and slap him! Norman takes out his frustrations on Nitron until Kevin Sullivan runs and breaks the painting over Norman's head. It's a funny moment because they smear the red paint on his face in an attempt to emulate blood. Lance Russell chimes in at the tail end of the angle and somehow makes this seem credible in the final seconds of the segment.

To be fair, while the picture wasn't exactly a work of art, it was probably better than it had any right to be coming from the likes of Norman. What an odd segment. And can I comment on how weird it is that WCW had both Norman and Rick Steiner doing mentally challenged gimmicks at roughly the same time? They even both had a thing for Nancy Sullivan.

• 2 months later...

I have so much love for Norman. I wasn't watching a lot of wrestling in 1990, but I would watch some WCW here and there because of the Saturday night show and Clashes. I was living with my Dad at the time, and while he didn't hate wrestling, he certainly didn't watch it. When Norman The Lunatic first appeared on a show, I remember Dad putting down his paper and saying, "What the fuck? Norman the Lunatic?" and laughing his ass off. Whenever Norman would be on he'd watch, as he thought it was fucking hilarious. I thought it was funny as well, so we had a "Field Of Dreams" ball toss via Norman The Fucking Lunatic. For years later he'd ask me if Norman was still around, "Hey, how's Norman doing?"

About 8 years later Dad was sponsoring in AA a total nutcase. (my Dad always takes on the so called hopeless ones). This guy wasn't just a drunk, but he was crazier than a shithouse rat. His name? Norman, of course...and Dad immediately gave him the nickname Norman The Lunatic.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sort of a transparent attempt to re-do the George Steele/Elizabeth dynamic, if Elizabeth were evil. Would there be a kayfabe reason for Sullivan to be defending Woman's honor at this point?

I always thought they should have re-done this in 2004 with Heel Trish Stratus and Eugene.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The picture wasn't professional, of course, but it was appropriately childlike, considering who it was from. This was done mostly to cement Woman as an all-around bitch who acted that way because she could, and at that it was a success. I agree with Kevin that Nitron was made to look like a useless chump whom even Norman the Lunatic could flatten with one shot. Maybe they should have had Sullivan get clobbered and Nitron make the save.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

As others have said, Woman looks hot! Norman likes her and has been working on a picture for her. He hopes she likes it, because if she does, maybe she'll like him too? Norman reveals a painting that looks like it's been done by my six year old niece. Woman isn't impressed, throws the painting on the floor and slaps him. The slap riles Norman but before he can get at Woman, Nitron gets in between the two of them. Clearly he looks far more imposing than he is, as one shot from Norman is all it takes to drop him. Kevin Sullivan runs out to attack Norman and hits him over the head with the painting before rubbing his face in it. The three of them leave whilst Norman seemingly has paint on his face to represent blood. Ending with the 'blood/paint' was hokey as hell.

• 7 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-01-06-NWA-Worldwide] Norman the Lunatic and Woman