Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-06-NWA-Worldwide] Interview: Four Horsemen

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

I know I am a newbie, but could somebody do me a favor and somehow post a picture of Flair in the University of Michigan shirt as I actually go to the University of Michigan (GO BLUE!) and Flair is my favorite wrestler (two of my buddies will love this).

Since I posted this in a kind of buried sub-forum, I will take the chance to re-introduce myself. I am a graduate student at the University of Michigan and I think this site and the yearbook concept is the greatest thing ever. However, I am broke as most college students are and can not afford these yearbooks. That being said I want to thank Loss and goodhelmet for putting them together and everyone commenting on them because it has helped me so much in guiding me through the myriad of wrestling matches. It is easy to get overwhelmed and these comments are really helpful in fleshing out details and organizing booking strategies in my mind. I am really interested in retro wrestling and have been exploring at best I could as youngster by reading wrestling title histories and still have my PWI Almanac from 1997. That was like my wrestling Bible as I tried to piece together wrestling history as best I could. This has of course continued thanks to youtube as I have built up a great literature of wrestling, but there is still plenty out there I have not seen and am eager to see more. This forum has been invaluable in me gaining even more insight into the tangled world of pro wrestling.

My eight year old cousin's new favorite wrestler is Mascarita Sagrada, thanks Loss for pimping that match against Espectrito.

Welcome to the forums Superstar... I can certainly relate to being a broke college student as I have just escaped all of my debt this year which has allowed me to take the plunge in the past two yearbooks. I could only con my parents out of so much money for alcohol and wrestling while in college.

• 2 months later...

You can tell Flair is a face here. He's got his "Minnesota Flair" hairstyle and way of speaking. He's wearing college gear. It's like whenever Flair is a face he rewinds back to 1983.

If I was Sting, I probably wouldn't accept that offer. Would you?

Hell yeah. It'd be worth getting beat up and kicked out eventually if just for the amount of strange a guy could pull if he was a Horseman.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The usual effective Horseman promo, particularly from Arn and Flair.

I've seen most of this angle before, and one thing was never addressed properly: if the Horsemen knew that Sting had a championship match coming as a result of his victory at Starrcade '89, why would they invite him into the group, knowing as they did from past experience that he was too much of a competitor to turn down a World title match, even if it was against Flair? It's not like he was into the whole "bright lights, big cities, pretty ladies" routine, even in character. Making the whole invitation a deliberate sucker job on Flair's part might have allowed them to get more heat with this than they did; as several others have said in various threads, the biggest problem with heel Flair at this time was that nobody wanted to boo him.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Flair says that the Horsemen are inviting Sting to become the Fourth Horseman. Ole says how a lot of thought went into this, but there was no doubt in their mind of all the people in wrestling, Sting was the guy they wanted. Arn talks about how when the Four Horsemen were formed all those years ago, no-one had any idea of the magnitude it would have on the sport. It's not just four guys, it's family, it's always been family, and when you look to someone to include in your family, they've got to have the qualifications. Being a Horseman is not something you put on in the morning and take off at night, it's a state of mind, it's excelling to the best of your ability, it's four individuals thinking singularly and acting collectively. With Sting you've got an excitement level never before seen in this sport and they're glad to have him.

Three of the all time best talkers and Arn is the best of the bunch here.

• 7 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-01-06-NWA-Worldwide] Interview: Four Horsemen