Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-07-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Randy Savage & Sensational Sherri

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Macho played it to the hilt but I thought the King act pretty much screamed mid-card, based on both past history of the gimmick and Savage's feud with Rhodes which felt like it lasted for 6 years without going anywhere. I know that was SOP for the WWF main event heels for the entire run of the promotion up until the Monday Night Wars, but it doesn't make it any less of a waste.

I'll second those saying that the Macho King gimmick was enjoyable, but felt midcard. Still, whether it's midcard or not, this promo rules, and if Savage is going to midcard purgatory for a while, he should at least be the most interesting damned midcard guy there ever was.

• 2 months later...

I imagine there's gonna be a lot of WWF stuff on this set that I'm gonna turn around on. Like I've said before, I wasn't watching wrestling anymore really during 1990 and when I did it was usually WCW. I'd occasionally turn on the WWF if I was flipping around on a Saturday afternoon, though, and inevitably something would come on that was just too WWF cartoony that annoyed me.

Macho King is something I've turned around on. Savage just may be my favorite wrestler ever, and at the time I thought it sucked, but I was very wrong. He rules here. (I did happen to see how he cost Warrior the belt on some Saturday show back then, and I loved that. Warrior was one of the guys that made me stop watching back then.)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I liked Savage with Sherri, but he was best without the crown and with Liz (and that includes Memphis too). Not too terribly fond of his half of the promo, but that's more a problem with the WWF's "every single word must hammer home the gimmick" promo style that precious few people avoided back then. Sherri had a good time for herself, as usual.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of my biggest wrestling black holes (of many) is the Rock 'n' Wrestling era of WWF. I had just started watching wrestling in 1990 and it was NWA/WCW. And while I know most of the characters I've really seen very little of the product itself. I guess this is kind of the end of that period, but still, this is all very new and exciting.

• 1 year later...

The Queen is looking resplendent in her lovely gold dress! There is no-one more suited to the Royal Rumble than royalty, Savage tells us, and the likes of the Ultimate Warrior, Hulk Hogan, Roddy Piper and even Andre the Giant will fall to the Macho King! Sherri warns Sapphire not to stick her nose in her business when they are both on the Brother Love show at the Rumble.

• 7 months later...

I think WWF/E always had a great record at the "King" gimmick whenever they resuscitated it (King Booker, for instance) but Macho is the all-time best at it. 100% committed, Sherri being great alongside him, even though they were around the middle of the deck at the time. Typically strong promo from the two where they just leap off the screen and more solid Rumble hype from the WWF.

• GSR changed the title to [1990-01-07-WWF-Wrestling Challenge] Interview: Randy Savage & Sensational Sherri