Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-13-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler, Dirty White Boy and Soul Taker

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Lawler is out on his Zach Morris cell phone, allegedly having conversations with Donald Trump, Christie Brinkley and Art Modell. He makes the studio audience just sit there like bumps on a log while he finishes his fake conversation, which is funny. This goes on for several minutes, past the point you think it's going to stop, which just makes it better. Forget Jericho trolling the WWE Universe, this is much more fun.

Dirty White Boy finally comes out with the Soul Taker to show solidarity for the upcoming six-man at MSC, where they'll be teaming up. Lawler mentions that he thought of a great gift idea for Dutch at Christmas, but how do you wrap a bathtub? They run down their opponents - Dutch Mantell, Chris Champion and Steve Austin. In a standout moment, Lawler says "This Steve Austin guy weighed 47 lbs before he found steroids!"

Good stuff.

I get Lawler is a legit Browns fanatic but I don't totally get how buddying with Art Modell and insulting the Denver Broncos is quite supposed to be heat-gathering in Memphis, but that could be part of the cell phone bit's almost dadaist charm. Actually the funniest part of the whole thing for me is Lawler making sure to hold the working phone up to the mic so it could send feedback out to the annoyance of everyone within earshot.

Two Saved by the Bell references on disc 1 already! This was a lot of fun with Lawler having these phone conversations with some celebrities. Dave Brown does a good job of playing along through the whole thing. Lawler is champion again and is in no rush to defend the title until the end of 30 days.

Soultaker, Dirty White Boy and Girl come out as they are going to be tag partners of Lawler. DWB does his promo with his back to the camera. Lawler feels like Dutch has some hygiene issues.

Poor Lawler, about to get heartbroken by the Browns for the last time, as they won't be good enough to break his heart for the next 22 years. The phone conversation stuff gets annoying after a while, but that's the point of it so good on him. Love seeing my favorite SMW wrestler of all time, the Dirty White Boy, and interested in seeing his Memphis stuff this year.

Big fan of Dave Brown so far, what a total dude -- slightly more cynical and sarcastic than your average wrestling broadcaster.

Travis's singing is hilariously atrocious. And his dancing even more so. Funny guy.

Christ, look at the size of that phone that Lawler has! I like this "big shot" heelish Lawler character and his interplay with Dave Brown. The studio crowd is very entertaining as well. Love the fact that Brown doesn't believe who is on the phone and his increasing frustration and irritation with the constant phonecalls.

Dirty White Boy is the very definition of "scuzzy". Interesting to see a young Papa Shango / Godfather here.

Lawler running his mouth about Austin being on steriods is pretty great. His stuff so far has been a real highlight of January 1990.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm with Parv, Dave Brown and Lawler have great chemistry. First exposure to Dave for me and I'm loving him. Lawler is great ad-libbing these calls - although that one lady that shouted "BORING" was obviously not amused.

The other thing I took away from this was - these guys loved to have their back to the camera and the audience.

• 1 year later...

The phone bits from Lawler were great; I wonder if he's ever actually gotten to the owners' box at a Browns' game? He's certainly famous enough these days to be a legit celebrity, albeit a low-level one.

The promos were fine, as was Dave, but what struck me is that, even as Public Enemy #1, Lawler's still getting heavily cheered. He's a lot like Flair in the Carolinas; no matter what he does, most of the fans simply won't boo him, even though they may also cheer for his opponents, depending on who they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Lawler was carrying these TV shows on his own basically. It's amazing to compare how free-flowing these segments were compared to the overproduced, overscripted stuff of today. That's what pro-wrestling needs to go back to, enough of these awful backstage vignettes with awkward pauses and silences, we need people interracting with each other and playing off one another. And yeah, Dave Brown was excellent.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lawler accusing Dirty White Girl of getting TRENCHMOUTH from Chris Champion... genius. You can tell Lawler was influenced by Andy Kaufman. This is yet another promotion that I'm very unfamiliar with outside of seeing some matches on ESPN throughout the years. These segments are the most artful presentation of pro wrestling promos I've ever seen. The amount of subtly and psychology Lawler uses is so impressive.

• 1 year later...

Lawler is on an oversized mobile phone allegedly talking to Donald Trump! He's won back his USWA World Heavyweight title but isn't impressed that they're 15 minutes into the show and it's only now being mentioned; it should have been the headline story! The phone rings again and it's Art Modell on the other end, and when it rings for a third time you can see Dave getting more and more frustrated as the show continues to be interrupted. Dave answers it for the King this third time and it's Christie Brinkley on the other end. It sounds like she's hitting on him, but he can't meet her as he's already promised to go to the Browns game with Art Modell! They're finally able to continue with the show and Lawler says how people have been saying he should give King Cobra a rematch. He's not going to give him one as he had to practically get on his hands and knees to beg for one himself and Cobra hasn't done that yet. Lawler then calls out the Soultaker and the Dirty White Boy (along with the DIrty White Girl) as he will be partnering them in a six man tag team match against Dutch Mantel (he wanted to give him a great present that he needed for Christmas but couldn't wrap up a bath tub!), Chris Champion and 'that steroid freak' Steve Austin ('who weighed 47lbs before he got on steroids'!). He warns Austin that he's hanging around with a bunch of turkeys and there is no future in that, while the White Boy tells Champion that he belongs to him after putting his lips on the Dirty White Girl.

So we've had Lawler with racist jokes and now he's moving on to steroids! This version of Jerry Lawler should be lots of fun! Dirty White Boy with his back to the camera was pretty infuriating but Lawler was gold here. Special props to Dave Brown for being so understated, but at the same time adding so much to the segment.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Lawler is just fantastic in these promo segments; he really was a master at flying off the top of his head and Dave Brown is great in his role as bemused bystander who is just trying to keep the ball rolling. He really does cut near to the knuckle with some of his remarks but god damn if this crowd isn't laughing their head off anyway.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-01-13-USWA-Memphis TV] Jerry Lawler, Dirty White Boy and Soul Taker