Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-13-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Cactus Jack Manson vs Lee Scott

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

We get a clip the week before of Cactus turning on Lee Scott after teaming with him and losing the match, which was Cactus's whole gimmick at this point. Lee Scott challenged him to a match, and that's how we got here.

Lee weighs 212? Who are they kidding? Anyway, this is included because how often do you get to see legendary jobber Lee Scott in a competitive match? He looks really good, and why wouldn't he, as he was a solid wrestler and a more-than-willing bumper.

Cactus gets his first win and continues to punish him after the match.

Fun and novel.

Sullivan on commentary mentions how he and Cactus like to discuss art and Picasso. Ross asks if he is the guy who lost his ear. No, that would be van Gogh but maybe Ross was really referring to the future of one Cactus Jack. Sullivan is a big fan of the way Cactus delivers additional pain to his opponent.

Both commentators did good of getting over Cactus and his move set. One thing I thought was interesting was how crazy the bumps Cactus was taking and that Sullivan was talking about how he wont live to be an old man. Foley is by no means elderly now and it is sad that he cant tie his own shoes but he does seem to have aged better than a lot of other people and this match is 22 years old. Cactus elbow looked good for the finish.

You can tell Sullivan really likes Cactus by the way he puts him over on commentary, and you can tell Ross likes Lee Scott for the same reason. Whatever happened to Lee Scott anyway? I expected to see him show up on some SMW TV tapings as a jobber at some point, but if he never wound up there, his career must not have lasted long past 1990. Anyway, fun to get a glimpse of the early Cactus, who looks downright skinny compared to how he'd look in upcoming years. And it honestly would not surprise me to find out that Cactus and Sullivan really were discussing Piscasso backstage before the matches started.

Think Ross and Sullivan are a pretty effective combo on commentary.

Ross mentions at one point "For all the wrestling buffs at home, this is the first time Lee Scott has mainevented World Championship Wrestling. Mark the date January 13th, 1990"

And here we are in 2012 marking the date. Just a strange little moment where it was Like Ross was talking directly to us.

He does a tremendous job of putting over Scott's heart, guts and effort here. Obviously he thought this was a big deal for Scott and it was nice to see him put that over so much.

He also mentions that Cactus Jack had a horrendous win-loss record to date, so it was clear that this was his first "big" win -- even though it was basically a jobber match.

Sullivan had some great one-liners here too: "He's burned the candles at both ends and in the middle!"

I realise I've just talked about the announcing there, not the wrestling but hey.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Ross mentions at one point "For all the wrestling buffs at home, this is the first time Lee Scott has mainevented World Championship Wrestling. Mark the date January 13th, 1990"

And here we are in 2012 marking the date. Just a strange little moment where it was Like Ross was talking directly to us.

Funny enough, this stuck with me too.

Good showing for Cactus and I also liked the touch with Sullivan on commentary (Cactus certainly seemed legit to me from how they talked). Cactus Elbow at the end and then that facial they got of Mick as they went to commercial really got over his craziness.

• 1 year later...

And so the legend of Mick Foley begins. All the trademarks are here, as is Kevin Sullivan, who would be a major part of Cactus's WCW career. JR really makes you believe that Lee Scott has a chance.

Moment of the match: JR's disgust at the idea that two men like Sullivan and Cactus would actually discuss fine art.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Lee Scott going toe to toe with Cactus Jack! With a storyline no less! I really like Ross commenting on how horrible Jack's win/loss record is. Cool storytelling device there. Lee Scott being fired up and attacking Jack at the beginning had me siked but it was short lived. This was a feel good match for me, even though Scott was destroyed. A Rudy type moment I guess.

• 1 year later...

I thought this was a great competitive squash. Sullivan missed his calling as a commentator unless he started working somewhere I'm not aware of after he retired from active wrestling. Cactus looked great, so did Lee Scott when you think about it. Sullivan's comment about Foley's health was prophetic when you think about it.

• 5 months later...

Fun little TV match to get Cactus over. Lee Scott looks really solid, attacking Cactus at the bell with some fiery offense and selling well as the match rolls on but the result is never in doubt. As said, you can hear that Sullivan and, to a lesser extent Ross, are high on Foley and the staples that would make him great are lingering on the edges, even if they haven't surfaced fully yet.

I do laugh at Ross admonishing Sullivan for suggesting that Cactus likes high art when he would eventually reveal himself to be a thoughtful and articulate kind of lunatic. Sullivan was right all along!

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-01-13-NWA-World Championship Wrestling] Cactus Jack Manson vs Lee Scott