Pro Wrestling Only

[1990-01-20-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Hulk Hogan

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

The glory days of Hulkamania. Self absorbed, bragging about his body, and downplaying the idea that other wrestlers in the WWF have any talent. Hogan calls out Warrior in a way that anyone who dared do to him would be considered a horrible person. As I said, the glory days of Hulkamania.

Hogan starts off somewhat respectably, even the talk about hoping to draw #1 isn't TOO over-the-top, and he at least has the decency to refer to "29 top contenders." Then he talks about eliminating wrestlers by posing and causing them to faint and it all goes off the rails. Hogan calls out the Warrior beforehand and all but guarantees they'll meet one-on-one, which I had no recollection of whatsoever. Brother Love corrects him and tells him that Mr. Perfect will be his opponent at the end--well, score one for Brother Love on that one.

Yeah I was shocked at how they played out the finish of the Rumble ahead of time here. I also didn't realize that Hogan/Warrior was teased so much which really loses some of the organic feeling I had associated with the Rumble interaction. I do enjoy Hogan mimicking brother love though.

Hogan wants the number one spot in the Rumble. He thinks posing alone with eliminate a bunch of guys. He specifically mentions the Warrior and that he will feel the power of Hulkamania. Brother Love says that Mr. Perfect will win. So they were pretty limiting to who would win this whole thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Nothing too surprising here. Hogan's rant about stacking the other wrestlers up in the center of the ring is pointless to say the least for a battle royal and just sounds like filler. I like the image of guys fainting when he poses in their faces, though. I wonder if he actually thought of that as a finisher at some point? It wouldn't shock me.

Too bad that Hogan and Curt being the final two in the Rumble was as close as we got to a pay-per-view bout between them. You wonder how different history might have been if they'd run Hogan/Hennig at Mania VI, Hogan/Warrior at Mania VII, and deep-sixed the Slaughter crap in between.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Could Brother Love be considered a proto-Matt Foley (motivational speaker)? The slicked back hair and beet red complexion lead me to believe so. Interesting to see that the Rumble is presented the same way today, with only a very few people being presented as a contender to win.

Evangelical preacher and motivational speaker usually use the same prose at times.

Could Brother Love be considered a proto-Matt Foley (motivational speaker)? The slicked back hair and beet red complexion lead me to believe so. Interesting to see that the Rumble is presented the same way today, with only a very few people being presented as a contender to win.

Evangelical preacher and motivational speaker usually use the same prose at times.

In my experience, both also sometimes live in vans down by the river.

• 11 months later...

IF u watch back the awesome promos leading up to WM6. You will see that Hogan is not confident that he will win! He says something like if the warrior can take the hulkamainiacs or something. I'm sure somebody can help me find it. It's like he is making excuses for losing. It was stupid. It was like your favorite team losing and the QB says to now be a fan of the winning team. That was the problem with that match. It was awesome but what do we do after.. should we hate warrior for beating our hero. Should we hate Hogan for letting us down? Hogan played the sympathy card that year as he left the ring after mania6 and after Quake crushes his ribs. I still have my postcard frpm hulk and got my red and yellow bracelet. But Hulkamania ended when he agreed to do the feud with Iraq. I wasn't feeling it and was sooo Happy when Sid Vicious came to wwf. But as fans we don't know that his run would be so short. I felt Sid could have been the face of wwf. Then warrior comes back and abandons us few months later. I already had abandonment issues!

• 4 weeks later...

Brother Love hopes that the Hulkster draws number one at the Royal Rumble so that he has 29 other men breathing down his neck. The Hulkster also hopes that he gets number one because Hulkamania is stronger than it's ever been! Hmmn, not too sure he really does want to draw number one! He's the lone survivor, he survived the No Holds Barred cage match, and with the Royal Rumble coming up he'll prove that Hulkamania can beat any man, beast or 29 other contenders! Of all the men out there there's one guy that's possibly going to last a while, but when he gets him in the middle of the ring it will be the 'ultimate' victory for Hulk Hogan. Love interjects and thinks that Mr Perfect will be his biggest challenger, but Hogan says it will just be a 'perfect' victory for him.

Hogan talks some gibberish and nonsense along the way (he thinks just by flexing his muscles will cause some of his opponents to eliminate themselves from the Rumble!), but they nigh on guarantee some sort of confrontation with the Warrior at the Rumble. The interview also pretty much guarantees that there are only three men in with a chance of winning the Rumble: Hogan, Warrior or Perfect.

• 7 months later...

Man, I HATE these promos. Coke-fuelled ramblings of the worst kind. I mean, he and Warrior are clearly larger than life personalities but they do nothing to actually hype their eventual meeting over the course of the next couple of months, other than talk in circles about total fucking nonsense.

• 2 months later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1990-01-20-WWF-Superstars] Brother Love: Hulk Hogan